Default Security

Post by Dennis Rus » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:17:47

I have installed 2.9 and have it set up as a router for my home
network.  However, I might be helping a professor next semester and I
was wondering if I gave out 30ish user names for my 2.9 box, are there
any security holes??  Basically I will be letting students ssh into my
home network where they can hand in assignments.  I want to know if
there are any precautionary steps I should make before doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks....

cheers,
dr

Post by Anders Thuli » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:50:59

> I have installed 2.9 and have it set up as a router for my home
> network.  However, I might be helping a professor next semester and I
> was wondering if I gave out 30ish user names for my 2.9 box, are there
> any security holes??

   You're the one who decides.  What would it cost you if there was a
security breach?  If your system was used for portscanning other systems
on the net, and your ISP decided to disconnect you? If the disk was
completely erased (by intent or by mistake)? If one of the students (again
by intent or by carelessness) caused the account information to become
widely known, so that it would no longer be 30 users on the system, but 150?

Quote:> Basically I will be letting students ssh into my
> home network where they can hand in assignments.  I want to know if
> there are any precautionary steps I should make before doing this.

   Basically, then, you'll give them user access to your system: to
run all commands, to upload binaries, to do much what they like on your
system. Is that what you want to do? If not, what access policy are
you planning to enforce, and how?  If your system breaks down for any
reason, are there any other ways of handing-in assignments?

   If you do anything like this, make sure everyone involved agrees on what
constitutes acceptable use and not, and what should be done in various
catastrophe scenarios. Make sure everyone knows what will happen in
case of non-acceptable use, and make sure you *do* follow the rules you've
set up.  If attempts to break into your system should be reported to the
police or other proper authorities, make sure that it is done.

   Personally, I think it's rather foolhardy to use your personal network
for this. On the other hand ... it may be a good opportunity to learn
about computer security first hand.

--

1. Default Security profiles

Having set up a new default security profile on SCO open server release 5,
can I change one of the default properties on a system wide basis.

I have found two file:

/etc/auth/system/default   and  /etc/default/passwd

which is either of these files should I use.

Any advise appreciated

Luke

2. Setting up Video

3. changing default security settings RH8.0

4. install exited abnormally -- received signal 11??

5. RedHat 5.1 default security.

6. input overruns reoccuring

7. Default security flags

8. Cheap soundcards

9. Default Security File

10. Default OS security....

11. Default Apache security??

12. Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

13. Security Mechanism Default