swap space

Post by leepe » Tue, 06 May 2003 10:37:49

If I had two hdd's in my new openbsd firewall would I get a performance
benefit if I put the swap partition onto another hdd other than the OS hdd?
should I do the same for just the email (qmail) queue which can have upto
30,000 emails injected into its queue in a very short amount of time.

I know I should probably have the email queues and squid cache on a seperate
hdd to improve I/O?

any thoughts.

swap space

Post by Ted Unangs » Tue, 06 May 2003 11:17:11

> If I had two hdd's in my new openbsd firewall would I get a performance
> benefit if I put the swap partition onto another hdd other than the OS hdd?
> should I do the same for just the email (qmail) queue which can have upto
> 30,000 emails injected into its queue in a very short amount of time.

> I know I should probably have the email queues and squid cache on a seperate
> hdd to improve I/O?

swap on another hard drive can improve performance, but if it does, you're
swapping too much. :)

separating qmail and squid onto different drives will certainly help.

--
"I promise you a police car on every sidewalk."
      - M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

swap space

Post by leepe » Tue, 06 May 2003 11:53:10

Okay, I think I will keep the swap space on the main hdd and on the 2nd hdd
have qmail & squid. Hmm would it matter which drive the system default,
qmail & squid logs are.  I guess the system default logs can stay on the
main hdd and the qmail/squid logs can stay on the 2nd hdd.

> > If I had two hdd's in my new openbsd firewall would I get a performance
> > benefit if I put the swap partition onto another hdd other than the OS
hdd?
> > should I do the same for just the email (qmail) queue which can have
upto
> > 30,000 emails injected into its queue in a very short amount of time.

> > I know I should probably have the email queues and squid cache on a
seperate
> > hdd to improve I/O?

> swap on another hard drive can improve performance, but if it does, you're
> swapping too much. :)

> separating qmail and squid onto different drives will certainly help.

> --
> "I promise you a police car on every sidewalk."
>       - M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. AT&T PPP connection problems

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. RS232 device driver source code

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. Fax program

7. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

8. sed/awk script to format a file??

9. Linux HardDrive Space Reqs, Swap Space

10. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

11. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)

12. /tmp Swap space running out of space

13. Only 16MB swap space with 30 MB swap file ?