Starcraft NAT lag and connection problems

Starcraft NAT lag and connection problems

Post by Stephen Linco » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:30:03

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate news group for this so bear
with me.

I recently moved my firewall from linux to OpenBSD.  While the
experience has been most enjoyable so far I have run into a problem.

For my free time I do enjoy a game of starcraft,  and have been unable
to successfully connect to battle.net games with openbsd as the
firewall.

If I can connect,  the lag tends to be horrible,  and I believe I am
at fault.

Does anyone have any experience with starcraft battle.net games
through an openbsd firewall?  Do I need to redirect ports?

Starcraft NAT lag and connection problems

Post by nobod » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:59:56

I've played Diablo through my (default deny stance) firewall without any
modifications.  I too found the lag totally unbearable -- but I'd never
tried to play without the firewall, so I can't say for sure that there
is any relationship between the two...

> I'm not sure if this is the appropriate news group for this so bear
> with me.

> I recently moved my firewall from linux to OpenBSD.  While the
> experience has been most enjoyable so far I have run into a problem.

> For my free time I do enjoy a game of starcraft,  and have been unable
> to successfully connect to battle.net games with openbsd as the
> firewall.

> If I can connect,  the lag tends to be horrible,  and I believe I am
> at fault.

> Does anyone have any experience with starcraft battle.net games
> through an openbsd firewall?  Do I need to redirect ports?

Starcraft NAT lag and connection problems

Post by Steve Lincol » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:24:53

A friend of mine plays it frequently through his linksys "share yer cable
modem" box thing and has no such issues.

On the other hand, I don't believe that that box does any kind of
firewalling, merely pure NAT.

Now I was hopeing that someone would be able to point me in the right
direction based on previous experience. If not previous experience, perhaps
try and find out where the bottleneck lies.

Cheers,

Steve

> I've played Diablo through my (default deny stance) firewall without any
> modifications.  I too found the lag totally unbearable -- but I'd never
> tried to play without the firewall, so I can't say for sure that there
> is any relationship between the two...

> > I'm not sure if this is the appropriate news group for this so bear
> > with me.

> > I recently moved my firewall from linux to OpenBSD.  While the
> > experience has been most enjoyable so far I have run into a problem.

> > For my free time I do enjoy a game of starcraft,  and have been unable
> > to successfully connect to battle.net games with openbsd as the
> > firewall.

> > If I can connect,  the lag tends to be horrible,  and I believe I am
> > at fault.

> > Does anyone have any experience with starcraft battle.net games
> > through an openbsd firewall?  Do I need to redirect ports?

Starcraft NAT lag and connection problems

Post by Frode Enge Taksru » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:11:14

Hi,

I had some problems to playing through my OpenBSD firewall. Even thou I
don't play through Zone.com I opened the ports needed to play there. It
works fine for some games, though I have never tried Starcraft.
Perhaps opening these ports will help you?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/0/31.ASP?LN=EN-...
n&FR=0&qry=firewall&rnk=21&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=MSALL

I do not know if Battle.net need similar ports opened.

Best regards,

Frode

Quote:> A friend of mine plays it frequently through his linksys "share yer cable
> modem" box thing and has no such issues.

> On the other hand, I don't believe that that box does any kind of
> firewalling, merely pure NAT.

> Now I was hopeing that someone would be able to point me in the right
> direction based on previous experience. If not previous experience,
perhaps
> try and find out where the bottleneck lies.

> Cheers,

> Steve

1. Starcraft lags like hell OBSD 3.0

I've had OpenBsd installed on my P-60 48 megs of ram since the 2.8 release.
It acts as a nat router for my dsl. Yesterday I tried to play a quick game
of Starcraft on battle.net and I found out that the lag was almost
unbearable. We did a bunch of tests to verify that it was really my firewall
causing the problem including but not limited to, checking to make sure my
upload bandwidth was not at capacity, playing with different people
including 1v1s with sub-100 pings; every time the game lagged horribly.

I unplugged the firewall and connected the del modem directly to my pc and
everything worked fine. Other games work fine behind the firewall including
quake 3, starwas jedi knight 2, and tribes 2. But does anyone have a clue as
to why starcraft lags really bad. I've noticed that other people have this
problem but no resolutions. Heres a copy of my nat.conf and pf.conf (really
bare-bones)

nat.conf contains:
rdr on xl0 from any to any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8081
nat on ne1 from 192.168.1.0/24 to any -> 65.184.212.141

pf.conf contains:
pass in all
pass out all
block in quick on ne1 inet proto tcp from any to any port 901 [blocks swat
access on internal interface]

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 6)

3. IP Masqing Gateway Causing Multiplayer Lag in Starcraft

4. mtools support for 1.72 MB floppies?

5. starcraft battle.net IPMASQADM looseUDP patch NAT

6. Remote printing problems

7. Limit maximum TCP connections for NAT connection

8. Ultra 10 P/SATA drive support

9. LAG to make connections - why?

10. www and telnet connection lag

11. TCPLAG -- iptables module that measures lag in TCP/IP connections

12. named/Connection lags on Solaris..

13. MySQL connection lag.