Socks5

Post by The Great Sata » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Has anyone gotten NEC Socks5 to compile on Open 2.x?  I keep getting
hung up at the point where Ld tries to link libsocks5:  Regardless of
my clue-free kludges, I get,

 gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.o protocol.o log.o hostname.o
confutil.o    buffer.o cache.o wrap.o wrap_tcp.o wrap_udp.o     conf.o
libproto.o select.o   rld.o null.o addr.o upwd.o gss.o
 ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
 *** Error code 1

every time.  I've tried throwing in random definitions and declarations
of "DYNAMIC", "_DYNAMIC", and "__DYNAMIC", but I'm just shooting
blindly.

Any clues would be most helpful.

I'm well aware of Open's IPNAT/IPF functionality, in case anyone feels
like mentioning it in response, but it won't fulfill my needs, to
the best of my knowledge (I've got applications that demand a _proxy_,
and I've been unable to "fool" them).

WR

Socks5

Post by Dennis Dav » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>Has anyone gotten NEC Socks5 to compile on Open 2.x?  I keep getting
>hung up at the point where Ld tries to link libsocks5:  Regardless of
>my clue-free kludges, I get,

> gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.o protocol.o log.o hostname.o
>confutil.o    buffer.o cache.o wrap.o wrap_tcp.o wrap_udp.o     conf.o
>libproto.o select.o   rld.o null.o addr.o upwd.o gss.o
> ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
> *** Error code 1

>every time.  I've tried throwing in random definitions and declarations
>of "DYNAMIC", "_DYNAMIC", and "__DYNAMIC", but I'm just shooting
>blindly.

>Any clues would be most helpful.

>I'm well aware of Open's IPNAT/IPF functionality, in case anyone feels
>like mentioning it in response, but it won't fulfill my needs, to
>the best of my knowledge (I've got applications that demand a _proxy_,
>and I've been unable to "fool" them).

There's a port of socks5-v1.0r9 in the ports tree.  Look at:

/usr/ports/security/socks5

It works fine for me on my i386 OpenBSD box.  I have this up and
running now.  Use the copy from the ports collection.  It gets the
command to build the shared library right.  In particular it ensures
your command line:

 gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.o protocol.o log.o hostname.o
confutil.o    buffer.o cache.o wrap.o wrap_tcp.o wrap_udp.o     conf.o
libproto.o select.o   rld.o null.o addr.o upwd.o gss.o

is rewritten as:

ld -o libsocks5_sh.so -Bshareable msg.o protocol.o log.o hostname.o
confutil.o    buffer.o cache.o wrap.o wrap_tcp.o wrap_udp.o     conf.o
libproto.o select.o   rld.o null.o addr.o upwd.o gss.o

(I haven't actually used the shared library to socksify applications
 on the fly.)
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

1. apache/socks5 timeout processing

I've been experimenting with using the apache proxy server behind a socks5
firewall.  I've noted serveral issues with connection management where I've
had to add socket closes around the data port as each connection terminates.

I believe I have most of those issues resolved.

However, it occurs to me that if a connection times out, apache appears to only
disconnect from the client.  It seems to leave both the control port and the
data port open.  (note - this is also true in the http and connect proxies.)
See timeout in http_main.c.

With the socks5 libraries, this creates some issues when trying to make the
next connection.

Questions.

Am I looking a this correctly?

Shouldn't both control and data ports be closed for ftp access?

Shouldn't the data connection be closed for http and connect proxy access?

ted keller

2. Newguy again: Creating users and assigning access

3. SOCKS5

4. How to selectively distribute NIS maps

5. Socks5 and Communicator 4.61

6. Swim 1.2.3 question

7. Apache 1.3b5 + SOCKS5 + Configure problem

8. terms for gnuplot

9. SOCKS5 Firewall cannot bind to port 1080

10. Help me to setup Socks5

11. Socks5 is drowning me in information

12. Socks5 & Netscape & https

13. socks5 proxy server (auth failed)