monitoring hard disk performance?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 30 May 2002 03:32:29

Hi all,
I am running OpenBSD 2.9 router/firewall, has been running sweetly for about
6 months now. I have just installed Demarc Puresecure on it, and it the box
i am running it on seems to be taking quite a performance hit :-( Is there a
way i can monitor disk performance? I am pretty sure it is the disk causing
the issues, as whenever i navigate the Puresecure web interface, the disk
screams for mercy! err, well there is a LOT of activity anyway and its
causing the page to timeout etc.

The hardware is pretty low spec, P166MMX, 3Gb, 32M RAM etc, but it has
worked faultlessly for a while now, be a shame to have to upgrade it :(

Thanks in advance folks,

Chris Davies

Post by erik » Thu, 30 May 2002 03:38:16

> Hi all,
> I am running OpenBSD 2.9 router/firewall, has been running sweetly for
> about 6 months now. I have just installed Demarc Puresecure on it, and it
> the box i am running it on seems to be taking quite a performance hit :-(
> Is there a way i can monitor disk performance? I am pretty sure it is the
> disk causing the issues, as whenever i navigate the Puresecure web
> interface, the disk screams for mercy! err, well there is a LOT of
> activity anyway and its causing the page to timeout etc.

> The hardware is pretty low spec, P166MMX, 3Gb, 32M RAM etc, but it has
> worked faultlessly for a while now, be a shame to have to upgrade it :(

I'm not sure it was already included in 2.9, but you could try

iostat 1

to get a lot of disk statistics. Otherwise you could always try to build
sar.

EJ
--
For OpenBSD pf en nat rule examples: http://www.vanwesten.net
Remove the obvious part (including the dot) for my email address

monitoring hard disk performance?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 30 May 2002 03:49:02

iostat does nicely thankyou.

Chris

> > Hi all,
> > I am running OpenBSD 2.9 router/firewall, has been running sweetly for
> > about 6 months now. I have just installed Demarc Puresecure on it, and
it
> > the box i am running it on seems to be taking quite a performance hit
:-(
> > Is there a way i can monitor disk performance? I am pretty sure it is
the
> > disk causing the issues, as whenever i navigate the Puresecure web
> > interface, the disk screams for mercy! err, well there is a LOT of
> > activity anyway and its causing the page to timeout etc.

> > The hardware is pretty low spec, P166MMX, 3Gb, 32M RAM etc, but it has
> > worked faultlessly for a while now, be a shame to have to upgrade it :(

> I'm not sure it was already included in 2.9, but you could try

> iostat 1

> to get a lot of disk statistics. Otherwise you could always try to build
> sar.

> EJ
> --
> For OpenBSD pf en nat rule examples: http://www.vanwesten.net
> Remove the obvious part (including the dot) for my email address

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. Recognizing login-host

3. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

4. Req: DEC 205 network card

5. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

6. Linux Threads use of SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2

7. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

8. Do ANY trade rags believe Mindcraft?

9. HELP: how to measure hard disk access performance on Linux?

10. hard disk performance

11. UW SCSI hard disk performance problem

12. Please help with optimising hard disk performance

13. Video Capture and Hard Disk Performance