Disklabel

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:40:40

Hi,

I'm trying to install OpenBSD 3.3 and now I'm asked to fill in
disklabels. Does this mean I have to specify e.g. /usr, /home etc, with
the diskspace belonging to it? The online help isn't quite clear to me
on this point.

Thanks

Huub

Disklabel

Post by Maik Kundi » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:06:47

Hallo,

Huub schrieb:

Quote:> I'm trying to install OpenBSD 3.3 and now I'm asked to fill in
> disklabels.

You can get more infos at:
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html

and in the install faq:
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Disks

Maik

Disklabel

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:16:59

> Hallo,

> Huub schrieb:

>> I'm trying to install OpenBSD 3.3 and now I'm asked to fill in
>> disklabels.

> You can get more infos at:
>   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html

> and in the install faq:
>   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Disks

> Maik

Thanks

Disklabel

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:46:41

I've downloaded my selection by FTP. Now I'm asked for the partition the
files are on (default [a])? I can't find this in the FAQ. What should I
do? I chose all partitions but it keeps coming back with the question.
So: where is it all stored?

1. disklabel trouble & booting FreeBSD from WinNT

Hi ,

I recently tried to install FreeBSD 4.1 ...
and it destroyed my WinNT installation ( I thought this behaviour was
reserved
to MS !!!)

My goal is to boot FreeBSD from the NT loader just as I boot Linux
from WinNT.
So I installed FreeBSD on /dev/ad2s1 and selected to NOT TOUCH the MBR.
After the installation I started the FreeBSD Fix and copied the first
sector to a file and copied this file to the NT partition.
dd if=/dev/ad2s1 of=boot.bsd bs=512 count=1

In the WinNT boot.ini there are an entries like:
C:\bootothers\boot.linux="Linux"
C:\bootothers\boot.bsd="BSD"

When I select BSD the result is:
Boot error

I checked this bootsector/file , it indeed ended with 55AA so this is
possibly
ok.

==================================

I looked at the tool disklabel to try to manually install the boot0-2
but this program always fail:

disklabel -w -B -r /dev/rad2s1 -b boot1 -s boot2  auto
==> Device not configured

Another taste:
disklabel -w -B -r ad2s1 -b boot1 -s boot2  auto
==> Device not configured

plus some other tries ..

????

==================================

Does someone have an idea how to install FreeBSD on a second drive
in a PC with NT on the first one.
I want to use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD (just to be sure i dont have to
reinstall WinNT and all stuff again , rebooting .....)

Rob Frohwein

thanks

2. OPEN-SOURCE FANTASY ROLE-PLAYING GAME PROJECT LOOKING FOR PROGRAMMERS

3. disklabel + SCSI id >= 4 == problems

4. backup, ts11 block size, megatape

5. disklabel and raid

6. Blackbox Startup and Background rxvt's?

7. Disklabel problem with extended partition

8. SOLARIS 2.6 CERTIFICATION EXAM PART 1, COURSE WORK/NOTES WANTED

9. Disklabels

10. Problems after using disklabel

11. disklabel from sectors to bytes

12. disklabel wd1c vs wd1s1c