SMTP Server Setup

Post by sahaf.. » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:47:35

Can someone point me to a FAQ or something on getting my firewall setup as an SMTP server for my local 192.168.x,x network only. I just want to forward mail from inside my network.

Oh, Sendmail is evil. I have looked.

-Thanks!

SMTP Server Setup

Post by devn.. » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:59:32

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 01:47:35 GMT

> Can someone point me to a FAQ or something on getting my firewall
> setup as an SMTP server for my local 192.168.x,x network only. I just
> want to forward mail from inside my network.

> Oh, Sendmail is evil. I have looked.

Set it up as a relay, and use some pf rules such as these to only allow
connections from 192.168.0.0/16:

block return-rst in proto tcp from any to any port = 25
pass in proto tcp from 192.168.0.0/16 to any port = 25

--

And the UNIX user said "rm -rf /", and all was /dev/null and void()...

SMTP Server Setup

hum. thanks. got that far. what is need a a simple sendmail howto i think. i will search google. i what hoping there was a nice little switch setup someone in openbsd.

Post by Wine Developmen » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:28:14

> Can someone point me to a FAQ or something on getting my firewall setup as an SMTP server for my local 192.168.x,x network only. I just want to forward mail from inside my network.

There is an example on the postfix site (for postfix, but that's a
good MTA anyway). As part of the FAQ as I recall.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

SMTP Server Setup

Post by Kyle Cran » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:50:19

> > Can someone point me to a FAQ or something on getting my firewall setup

as an SMTP server for my local 192.168.x,x network only. I just want to
forward mail from inside my network.

Quote:

> There is an example on the postfix site (for postfix, but that's a
> good MTA anyway). As part of the FAQ as I recall.

There is also a good book on Postfix named... oddly enough "Postfix" that
helped me get going.  Picked it up at Barnes and Nobel.  I did exactly what
you are looking to do with an old SparcStation 5.  Except mine is setup to
accept incoming mail as well.  Go with Postfix, the sendmail.cf is the sixth
ring of hell!

SMTP Server Setup

Post by Harry Pehkon » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:07:30

Quote:> Oh, Sendmail is evil. I have looked.

*was* evil.  I'm afraid you looked in the wrong place.  I've been
running sendmail for a while now with no firewall.  There's a reason
why it's still around.

Don't make the same mistakes that I tend to constantly make -- If
somebody makes a claim such as ``sendmail is evil,'' don't believe
them right away.  Sometimes people just want to freak out.  You
shouldn't take their ``episodes'' as sources of good information.

Harry Pehkonen.

SMTP Server Setup

Post by sahaf.. » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:20:57

>> Oh, Sendmail is evil. I have looked.
>*was* evil.  I'm afraid you looked in the wrong place.  I've been
>running sendmail for a while now with no firewall.  There's a reason
>why it's still around.

>Don't make the same mistakes that I tend to constantly make -- If
>somebody makes a claim such as ``sendmail is evil,'' don't believe
>them right away.  Sometimes people just want to freak out.  You
>shouldn't take their ``episodes'' as sources of good information.

[up on soap box]

To be honest I have the sendmail book and have used sendmail in the past and from that I can say 'sendmail is evil'.

Setting up a firewall is a snap. Get X up and running is simple.  Sendmail is a cryptic evil old world program that should have died died died years ago.

[off soap box]

Thanks eveyone for the input. I am going to take a look at everything everyone has suggested.

1. Postfix needs smtp server setup voor contacting ISP?

Hi,
I have setup Postfix to be the e-mail agent between two Winds 98 machines
using outlook express.
How do I get Linux to send outgoing mails to reach de ISP via ISDN
(installed with i4L)?
Do I need to setup a smtp server for outgoing mails?

Thanks

Hans

Welcome at our website at www.managementconsult.com

2. "floppy0: WARNING disk change called early" meaning?

3. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

4. Compaq 4880 - Good or Bad?

5. setup smtp server

6. Passing blanks in arguements

7. Setup smtp/pop3 server

8. Java JNI: links, experiences?

9. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

10. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

11. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

12. Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

13. SMTP server to POP server