PGPNet VPN and OpenBSD 2.7/2.8

Post by Martin Foste » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 04:23:08

Been playing with PGPNet Freeware 7.0.3 on Windows 2000.   Seems that
when I setup the clients based on information from
(http://www.allard.nu/openbsd/) the client and server will connect.

The connection will transmit data meaning the server will be able to
receive.  The reverse of the matter does apply for 2.8 which 2.7 works
perfectly well.    When you use OpenBSD 2.8 as the server the error
below will appear.

121816.400057 Default pf_key_v2_write:
  writev (3, 0x0x11a4c0, 8) failed: Invalid argument

I did a brief scan through Google and found a few references as to
patches and that the stable branch had yet to correct the problem.  Is
this still the case, and are their known patches to fix this?

Also, would going to OpenBSD 2.9 remedy the problem?  I could use 2.7,
but I would rather make use of the gateway instead of the mail server to
use IPSec.   Have a good day and thanks in advance.

                                        Martin Foster

PGPNet VPN and OpenBSD 2.7/2.8

Post by Robert Mortim » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 19:52:38

Quote:>Been playing with PGPNet Freeware 7.0.3 on Windows 2000.   Seems that
>when I setup the clients based on information from
>(http://www.allard.nu/openbsd/) the client and server will connect.

If you read that site fully you'll see that there are problems with
the base 2.8 ipsec code and you need to update a few bits. However the
problem is resolved in 2.9

If the upgrade to 2.9 is not possible the patches to 2.8 are fairly
trivial, the url you seem to have missed is:
http://www.allard.nu/openbsd/openbsd.shtml

[[snip]
--
Robm
873

PGPNet VPN and OpenBSD 2.7/2.8

Post by Martin Foste » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:41:32

> >Been playing with PGPNet Freeware 7.0.3 on Windows 2000.   Seems that
> >when I setup the clients based on information from
> >(http://www.allard.nu/openbsd/) the client and server will connect.

> If you read that site fully you'll see that there are problems with
> the base 2.8 ipsec code and you need to update a few bits. However the
> problem is resolved in 2.9

> If the upgrade to 2.9 is not possible the patches to 2.8 are fairly
> trivial, the url you seem to have missed is:
> http://www.allard.nu/openbsd/openbsd.shtml

Yes I must of missed it when I looked at the documentation from that
site.  Using CVS to upgrade my source the the 2.8 Patch tree did the
trick and now 2.7 and 2.8 both work as they should.

Thanks you for the insight and have a good day.

                                        Martin Foster