Why can't I launch anything in 3.1 ?

Post by Arctic Wol » Sat, 25 May 2002 13:02:32

I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation, I
installed emacs, KDE, etc.
When I issue the command emacs, I get the following error.
/usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libtiff.so.35.7: No such file or directory
I can't seem to launch KDE, either.
I get this error.
/usr/libexec/ld.so: kpersonalizer: libkio.so.4.0: No such file or directory
However, I'm able to launch vnc.
Do I need to reinstall emacs?

Post by Todd » Sat, 25 May 2002 03:50:41

> I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation, I
> installed emacs, KDE, etc.
> When I issue the command emacs, I get the following error.
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libtiff.so.35.7: No such file or directory
> I can't seem to launch KDE, either.
> I get this error.
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: kpersonalizer: libkio.so.4.0: No such file or
> directory However, I'm able to launch vnc.
> Do I need to reinstall emacs?

Have you made sure libkio.so.4.0 and libtiff.so.35.7 are in your module
path?

--
Todd
http://www.itodd.org

Post by Arctic Wol » Sat, 25 May 2002 22:58:06

 >>I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation,
 >>I installed emacs, KDE, etc.
 >>When I issue the command emacs, I get the following error.
 >>/usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libtiff.so.35.7: No such file or directory
 >>I can't seem to launch KDE, either.
 >>I get this error.
 >>/usr/libexec/ld.so: kpersonalizer: libkio.so.4.0: No such file or
 >>directory However, I'm able to launch vnc.
 >
 > Have you made sure libkio.so.4.0 and libtiff.so.35.7 are in your
 > module path?

I don't know how to check the module path.  Do you mean, if the proper
paths are in the .profile file?  Would you be kind to provide a
detailed, step-by-step instructions.  After the initial installation,
the system has not been touched.

Why can't I launch anything in 3.1 ?

Post by Pepp » Sun, 26 May 2002 08:49:59

Quote:> I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation, I
> installed emacs, KDE, etc.
> When I issue the command emacs, I get the following error.
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libtiff.so.35.7: No such file or directory
> I can't seem to launch KDE, either.
> I get this error.
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: kpersonalizer: libkio.so.4.0: No such file or directory
> However, I'm able to launch vnc.
> Do I need to reinstall emacs?

Did you add relevant directories to "shlib_dirs" in /etc/rc.conf{.local}?
At least KDE would like you to do that and instruct you when yhou use
pkg_add.

--
                                      "Before you criticize someone, walk
Preben "Peppe" Guldberg  __/-\__       a mile in his shoes. That way, if

----------------------oOOo (_) oOOo--  - and barefoot."    --Sarah Jackson

Post by Arctic Wol » Mon, 27 May 2002 00:52:43

 >>I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial
installation, >>I installed emacs, KDE, etc.
 >>When I issue the command emacs, I get the following error.
 >>/usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libtiff.so.35.7: No such file or directory
 >>I can't seem to launch KDE, either.
 >>I get this error.
 >>/usr/libexec/ld.so: kpersonalizer: libkio.so.4.0: No such file or
 >>directory
 >>However, I'm able to launch vnc.
 >>Do I need to reinstall emacs?
 >
 > Did you add relevant directories to "shlib_dirs" in
 >/etc/rc.conf{.local}?
 > At least KDE would like you to do that and instruct you when you use
 > pkg_add.

I did not use pkg_add.  All the applications were installed during the
initial installation of the operating system, and I did not change or
edit anything since.  Why shouldn't emacs work?
I looked at /etc/rc.conf, and there's the shlib_dirs line.
shlib_dirs=          # extra directories for ldconfig
So, basically, there's nothing for shlib_dirs.
The file /etc/rc.local did not have shlib_dirs line.
Thanks for your help.

Post by jose » Mon, 27 May 2002 01:12:51

> I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation, I
> installed emacs, KDE, etc.

looks like you attempted to install software packages at the time you
installed software sets. they have different mechanisms for registering
dependencies and such (despite the same name, .tgz).

use the package system to install the desired software packages and their
needed dependencies:

    http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html#Manage

jose nazario

Why can't I launch anything in 3.1 ?

Post by Pepp » Mon, 27 May 2002 20:37:43

Quote:>  > Did you add relevant directories to "shlib_dirs" in
>  >/etc/rc.conf{.local}?
>  > At least KDE would like you to do that and instruct you when you use
>  > pkg_add.
> I did not use pkg_add.

You should :-)

Quote:> All the applications were installed during the
> initial installation of the operating system, and I did not change or
> edit anything since.

As explained in another thread lately, you should just install the
installation sets and kernel (bsd, base31.tgz and friends) in the
install phase. After you reboot you can then install packages with
pkg_add(1).

Peppe
--

Post by Arctic Wol » Tue, 28 May 2002 12:11:34

Quote:>>> Did you add relevant directories to "shlib_dirs" in
>>>/etc/rc.conf{.local}?
>>> At least KDE would like you to do that and instruct you when you use
>>> pkg_add.

>>I did not use pkg_add.

> You should :-)

>>All the applications were installed during the
>>initial installation of the operating system, and I did not change or
>>edit anything since.

> As explained in another thread lately, you should just install the
> installation sets and kernel (bsd, base31.tgz and friends) in the
> install phase. After you reboot you can then install packages with
> pkg_add(1).

I issued the comand pkg_add(1) emacs*, and I got the following error.
Badly placed ()'s
When I issued the command pkg_add emacs*, it copied something from the
CD.  When I issue the command emacs, I get this error.
emacs: Command not found.
Do I need to reboot after installing an application?

Post by Arctic Wol » Tue, 28 May 2002 12:14:06

Quote:>>I recently installed OpenBSD 3.1, and during the initial installation, I
>>installed emacs, KDE, etc.

> looks like you attempted to install software packages at the time you
> installed software sets. they have different mechanisms for registering
> dependencies and such (despite the same name, .tgz).

> use the package system to install the desired software packages and their
> needed dependencies:

When I issue the command pkg_add emacs*, it seems to copy/install stuff
from the CD.  Afterwards, when I issue the command emacs, I get this error.
emacs: Command not found.
Do I need to reboot or do something after installing emacs, or some package?

Post by Devon Rya » Tue, 28 May 2002 12:20:04

>>> I did not use pkg_add.

>> You should :-)

>>> All the applications were installed during the
>>> initial installation of the operating system, and I did not change or
>>> edit anything since.

>> As explained in another thread lately, you should just install the
>> installation sets and kernel (bsd, base31.tgz and friends) in the
>> install phase. After you reboot you can then install packages with
>> pkg_add(1).

> I issued the comand pkg_add(1) emacs*, and I got the following error.
> Badly placed ()'s
> When I issued the command pkg_add emacs*, it copied something from the
> CD.  When I issue the command emacs, I get this error.
> emacs: Command not found.
> Do I need to reboot after installing an application?

When he said pkg_add(1), he was refering to a portion of the man pages
on pkg_add (man 1 pkg_add).  You don't need to reboot after installing
(this isn't windows).  Just make sure that the emacs executable is in
your $PATH.  It's probably under /usr/local/bin so you could just type
/usr/local/bin/emacs  If that doesn't work, use pkg_info to make sure
that it's installed.

--

Biology/Neuroscience          | http://www.dpryan.com

Deptartment of Anesthesia     | http://airway2.uchicago.edu/houamedlab/

Post by Ted » Tue, 28 May 2002 12:29:53

> When I issue the command pkg_add emacs*, it seems to copy/install stuff
> from the CD.  Afterwards, when I issue the command emacs, I get this error.
> emacs: Command not found.
> Do I need to reboot or do something after installing emacs, or some package?

If you are using csh, you need to rehash your path.  type rehash at the
prompt, then try again.

--
If you ever would give them a helping hand,
You can be sure they'll chop off the arm.

Post by Hasan Diwan From » Tue, 28 May 2002 13:30:52

>When I issue the command pkg_add emacs*, it seems to copy/install stuff
>from the CD.  Afterwards, when I issue the command emacs, I get this error.
>emacs: Command not found.
>Do I need to reboot or do something after installing emacs, or some package?

type 'rehash' after making sure that your path contains /usr/local/bin.
--
Hasan =)
OpenPGP KeyID: 0xBE42DCA6

Why can't I launch anything in 3.1 ?

Post by Pepp » Wed, 29 May 2002 06:02:27

Quote:> When he said pkg_add(1), he was refering to a portion of the man pages
> on pkg_add (man 1 pkg_add).  You don't need to reboot after installing
> (this isn't windows).  Just make sure that the emacs executable is in
> your $PATH.

Some shells (most?) looks up commands in a hash table. Some of these do
not check the PATH if the command is not found in the hash (zsh being
one - you can probably tune it, though).

All this to say that it may be necessary to rebuild (or clear) the hash
with eg. "rehash" or "hash -r". For the excact command, check the man
page for the shell.

--

Post by Devon Rya » Wed, 29 May 2002 07:40:01

> Some shells (most?) looks up commands in a hash table. Some of these do
> not check the PATH if the command is not found in the hash (zsh being
> one - you can probably tune it, though).

> All this to say that it may be necessary to rebuild (or clear) the hash
> with eg. "rehash" or "hash -r". For the excact command, check the man
> page for the shell.

Being a bash user I've never run into that, thus my reply.  Thanks for
pointing out the rehash function in csh/zsh.

--

Post by James Pol » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:53:49

>> Some shells (most?) looks up commands in a hash table. Some of these do
>> not check the PATH if the command is not found in the hash (zsh being
>> one - you can probably tune it, though).

>> All this to say that it may be necessary to rebuild (or clear) the hash
>> with eg. "rehash" or "hash -r". For the excact command, check the man
>> page for the shell.

> Being a bash user I've never run into that, thus my reply.  Thanks for
> pointing out the rehash function in csh/zsh.

You can install the bash package if you're used to bash. But, [t]csh is so
much better, so it may be useful to learn how it works. It is, after all,
one of the default shell in not only OpenBSD, but NetBSD and FreeBSD
aswell!

- James :)

1. Can't launch anything in KDE when dialed in to ISP

Here's a thing to check:

While logged in, try running some program (netscape) and then, in a shell
(hit CTRL-ALT-F? to get to a text console) type "netstat" and see what the
results are.  I noticed that, if I had my hostname set to the FQDN instead
of just the hostname w/ no domain, it sent all local traffic out through the
ethernet, to the internet, and then back.  Note that this machine is behind
a NAT firewall and thus has a different address set for its ethernet than
it's real IP address, but I found that lots of traffic was heading out my
ADSL connection and back, slowing things considerably.  If this is the case,
make sure that your hostname isn't your FQDN, and that the hostname is
listed in your /etc/hosts file as pointing to 127.0.0.1 to ensure you're not
sending all of your X traffic out to your ISP and back.

Good luck!

Doug Rohrer

2. Mail headers

3. x86: Openwin won't launch anything!?!

4. Backup problem

5. KDE 3.1 and Shift-Ins

6. Linux and Mac The Two best OSs There are

7. Why can't KA9Q telnet to AIX 3.1?

8. Device Driver

9. KDE 3.1 - KDEinit could not launch "kfmclient"

10. Evolution won't launch default browser -- why?

11. KNode won't launch from kicker panel (but launches fine from CL)

12. Infomagic's new LDR, Why buy anything else ?

13. Why I can't type anything in the dosemu box under X11?