controller problems, anyone else experienced this?

controller problems, anyone else experienced this?

Post by Sean Aaro » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Okay, I've got a QAccess Adaptec compatible FD/IDE/SCSI controller card
in a VESA-enabled 486 box.
I had only a 405MB Western Digital IDE drive (can't remember the model
off-hand--some obsolete Caviar drive) and recently added a Segate 41200N
SCSI drive (992 MB).  Since then I've had controller card failures doing
I/O to the WD drive during X sessions that cause the whole machine to
lock up forcing a hard reset.  I had originally installed OpenBSD 2.2 on
the IDE alone and could run X and Netscape without problems.  I'm
assuming there's some controller-level conflict happening, but can't see
how it could work fine until X comes up and I start working.  The
session will usually hang within 10 minutes and seems to be caused by
any I/O operation (mv ls etc)  The only console error I get is one
indicating an I/O failure to a wd0 partition and I can hear the drive
clicking over the same area.

I'm going to disconnect the SCSI drive to see if that helps (although
I'd rather have that standalone than the IDE); then I'll try a fresh
install on the sCSI drive and disconnect the IDE.  I just wondered if
anyone else had one of these controllers and what settings I could be
looking for.  I have the manual for the card, but it doesn't indicate
any special settings with regard to using an IDE boot drive and a
secondary SCSI drive.  Both format fine and have good I/O until I run X;
I can't imagine there's a video card conflict, because the cards
co-existed before the SCSI was added and have proper IRQ settings.

Any help is appreciated.
--
Sean Aaron
Systems Administrator

1. Anyone have experience of IWILL SCSI Controllers

Hi,

Does anyone kow if there is any work being done for support of IWILL SCSI
controllers e.g. model 2930UP (PCI Ultra SCSI, up to 20MB/s) or model
2935UW (PCI Ultra Wide SCSI, up to 40 MB/s)?

Thanks,
phillip

--

UNIX _IS_ user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are.
                                                                --unknown

2. Internet sharing one card or two

3. Chicken vs. Egg problem (anyone else using the TEKRAM dc390 SCSI controller?)

4. Solaris 2.4 jumpstart problem.

5. Anyone has any problems with Promise HD controllers ?

6. refresh rate

7. Interested in information and experiences about SCSI-2 controllers

8. Open-GL on Linux/Alpha

9. GDT scsi controller - any experience?

10. Experience with Adaptec 2100S RAID Controller

11. Experience with Advansys SCSI controller?

12. Mylex Controller Experience?

13. Experience with NCR SCSI controllers