Lo, for I have beheld the almighty ports tree, and I am in awe.

Lo, for I have beheld the almighty ports tree, and I am in awe.

Post by Luke Seuber » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Wow!  Got my 2.7 CDs today, and have been busy printing out and studying
docs prior to installation.  I also unzipped the ports tree onto my Mac
for a quick peak, and I must say that I am VERY impressed with the wide
variety of software available.  My compliments to all those who work on
OpenBSD and the ports collection.  Good work folks.

A few newbie questions if I may:

1. I note for example, that KDE is in the ports tree.  If installed,
would this be KDE running under Linux emulation, or would it run native
directly under the OpenBSD OS?

2. Aside from my beloved Gnome 1.2 GUI, what major programs are NOT
available under the OpenBSD ports tree?  What programs will be added
soon, or are on a wish list?  Where is the wish list, assuming there is one?

3. In what ways could I be of assistance in helping to bring HelixCode
Gnome 1.2 to the OpenBSD ports tree?

--

Luke Seubert

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
     -- Albert Einstein

Lo, for I have beheld the almighty ports tree, and I am in awe.

Post by Marc Esp » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>1. I note for example, that KDE is in the ports tree.  If installed,
>would this be KDE running under Linux emulation, or would it run native
>directly under the OpenBSD OS?

True thing.  KDE is easy to port, once you've got a working C++ compiler.

Quote:>2. Aside from my beloved Gnome 1.2 GUI, what major programs are NOT
>available under the OpenBSD ports tree?  What programs will be added
>soon, or are on a wish list?  Where is the wish list, assuming there is one?

Java support is somewhat lacking.
Japanese support is still far from perfect.

We are missing a large proportion of the perl modules from CPAN yet.

Mozilla isn't running.

Some highly specific linux programs are missing.  My laptop's cd does not
work very well with tosha, something with jitter correction might work
better... I also haven't got xmovie up and running yet.

In general, I am quite satisfied with the way ports are going.

Quote:>3. In what ways could I be of assistance in helping to bring HelixCode
>Gnome 1.2 to the OpenBSD ports tree?

We keep getting emails from people who say `they will port it', and then
we don't ever see a completed port...
--
        Marc Espie

Lo, for I have beheld the almighty ports tree, and I am in awe.

Post by Luke Seuber » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> >2. Aside from my beloved Gnome 1.2 GUI, what major programs are NOT
> >available under the OpenBSD ports tree?  What programs will be added
> >soon, or are on a wish list?  Where is the wish list, assuming there is one?

> Mozilla isn't running.

Yeah, well, is Mozilla really running anywhere though?

Quote:> >3. In what ways could I be of assistance in helping to bring HelixCode
> >Gnome 1.2 to the OpenBSD ports tree?

> We keep getting emails from people who say `they will port it', and then
> we don't ever see a completed port...

Well, I do not mean to imply that I will port it.  Such is beyond my
technical capability at this point.  Rather, if there are any other
tasks I could perform to be of assistance, housekeeping chores,
advocacy, or what have you, I would be willing to take a shot at that.

--

Luke Seubert

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
     -- Albert Einstein

Lo, for I have beheld the almighty ports tree, and I am in awe.

Post by Randall Parke » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Java support is somewhat lacking.

Does anyone know what it is about the Linux emulation that is not good
enough to support the running of a Linux JVM from Sun or IBM?

Is it a kernel problem? Or a library problem?

Does anyone have any sense of the size and scope of the problem for
getting the Linux emulation good enough to run Linux JVMs? This
capability would be a great boon to OpenBSD if it was possible.

Quote:> Japanese support is still far from perfect.

> We are missing a large proportion of the perl modules from CPAN yet.

> Mozilla isn't running.

But there is a FreeBSD version of Mozilla. So is OpenBSD that different
than FreeBSD? Anyone know what is causing the Mozilla for FreeBSD to not
run on OpenBSD?

1. Lord Christ Almighty, WHy Am I Such An Ass Hole?

Please someone show me how to use my toy UNIX(4.5) at home!! How do I install
Tetris?? How do I change the wallpaper? Where's the Start Button? And Why Isn't
Outlook installed?

        Yours in Christ,
                        Don

--
***************************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCSA *      Man's gotta earn a living.

---
This post was anonymized at http://www.xganon.com
---

2. lilo timeout not working

3. What module is lo:1 lo:2 lo:3...etc

4. cp and increase filename *.1 *.2 ,...

5. ipfwadm -W lo : screening lo interface

6. Startup files for modules

7. What are modules lo:0 thru lo:49??

8. Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

9. I already RTFM, but am still having problems

10. I am having trouble with tcpip

11. I am having problems with "fvwm2" or Xwindows

12. I am having trouble rebuilding xchat

13. I am having problems with the 3c905 and the 3c509b with RH 5.0