/usr/bin/ftp and proxy

Post by Helmut Schneide » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:52:02

Hi,

just want to use /usr/bin/ftp via a proxy to get a file from a http
link without user input. I read about exporting ftp_proxy but this does
not work. I read "man ftp" but I do not know how deal with it.

Thanks, Hel<frustrated>mut

/usr/bin/ftp and proxy

Post by Urs Breinlinge » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:25:00

> just want to use /usr/bin/ftp via a proxy to get a file from a http
> link without user input. I read about exporting ftp_proxy but this does
> not work. I read "man ftp" but I do not know how deal with it.

Works for me. [tm]  :)

---8<-----
bash-2.05b$ export http_proxy="http://12.34.56.78:3128/"
bash-2.05b$ /usr/bin/ftp http://www.openbsd.org/index.html
Trying 12.34.56.78...
Requesting http://www.openbsd.org/index.html (via http://12.34.56.78:3128/)
100% |**************************************************|  7986 00:00
Successfully retrieved file.
bash-2.05b$
---8<-----

Regards,

  urs

/usr/bin/ftp and proxy

Post by Helmut Schneide » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:02:48

Quote:> > just want to use /usr/bin/ftp via a proxy to get a file from a http
> > link without user input. I read about exporting ftp_proxy but this does
> > not work. I read "man ftp" but I do not know how deal with it.

> Works for me. [tm]  :)

> ---8<-----
> bash-2.05b$ export http_proxy="http://12.34.56.78:3128/"

"http"_proxy of course! Sh...ade...

Thanks, Helmut

1. /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin or /opt/bin, /var/opt/bin - I'm confused.

Hi all,

All these directories are for executable binary, right ?  How does one
decide which executable binary goes to which directory ?

/usr/bin : For what ?
/usr/local/bin:  for what ?
/sbin : ??
/opt/bin : ??
/var/opt/bin : ??

Is there any other /bin beside those above ?

Thanks

2. include/linux/ghash.h

3. FTP keeps using /usr/bin/ls and not ~/ftp/bin/ls

4. pb with a PS/2 mouse under X

5. /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin etc

6. W and who commands username max 8 characters

7. /usr/bin/ls /usr/ucb/ls /usr/local/bin/ls

8. Problems reading news with nn via NNTP

9. diff. between /usr/vac/bin/xlc & /usr/bin/xlc

10. /usr/local/bin/perl ->/usr/bin/perl

11. Why does "cd /usr/////bin" = "cd /usr/bin"?

12. /usr/dt/bin/dtksh and /usr/bin/ksh

13. /usr/local/bin vs. /usr/bin