user can cd or view files on other user $HOME dir

user can cd or view files on other user $HOME dir

Post by ermirz.. » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I just wonder why a normal user created on (maybe just on my
box) openBSD-2.5 could cd to others' home dirs plus the /root !!! ???? .
On some other *nix systems e.g linux or solaris, a user could not get to
somebody else home dir ...

Even though he/she could not write to others but he could view whatever
files in others' home dirs as long as the read permission is set.

Or did I miss anything when I created the user accounts.

Thanks in advance

)erekose)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

user can cd or view files on other user $HOME dir

Post by Brian Martine » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

That should be default on almost all boxes.  For example, on my FreeBSD box
I can cd into other account, INCLUDE root and view things that I have at
least read access too.  This also holds true on the SunOS 5.6 box we're
running.  And on my Linux 2.2.6 box.  If you don't like this, just change it

chmod 700 dirname

7 for the owner to have full access obviously.  Although, I'm not exactly
positive that it's safe to do this to home directories, in case of shared
processes or some *like that.  And if you want it so that each new user
account you create, chmod the files in /usr/share/skel.  "And that's all I
have to say about that."

./brm

--
Brian Martinez

http://www.veryComputer.com/~mrzer0
MicroLab Technical Services (MLTS)

1. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir

See example below:

[julie:/export/home/root]grep oracle7 /etc/passwd
oracle7:x:65535:65535:Oracle Workgroup Server user:/opt:/usr/bin/sh
[julie:/export/home/root]cd ~oracle7
ksh: /opt/oracle7:  not found

Please note another subshell will do fine:

[julie:/export/home/root]/bin/ksh
[julie:/export/home/root]cd ~oracle7

What does this mean? Thanks.
--
Michael Wang
http://www.mindspring.com/~mwang

2. 3 big file system problem...

3. How to prevent users from cd:ing out of their home dir?

4. What is esd, and why is it grabbing /dev/dsp?

5. quotactl & getting users file system from home dir

6. Telnet Sessions

7. Login:users cannot "cd to /home/user"

8. xircom RBEM56G-100 support?

9. XP home users will have to upgrade to use a MS device targeted at home users

10. protecting files from users in users homes

11. Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

12. PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"