IDE/ATAPI CD found in 2.5, not found in 2.6

IDE/ATAPI CD found in 2.5, not found in 2.6

Post by Tom Pitt » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I recently installed OpenBSD 2.5 on my Dell Dimension XPSP120c.  When I
tried to install 2.6 (from the Official OpenBSD CD-ROM, fresh install - no
data/customization to save), it would boot from the CD or from floppy, but
would not see the CD when it got to asking where to install from.

The PC is a Pentium 120, 64MB RAM.  The main IDE HD & CD-ROM are on the
built-in IDE controller.  I recently added a Promise IDE controller for a
second LPT, and had to put the floppy drive on that controller as well (for
the floppy to work in NT & Linux).  I am trying to install OpenBSD onto a
SCSI HD attaced to a Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI controller, which also has a
2nd SCSI HD connected to it (the IDE has NT on it, for work purposes).

OpenBSD 2.5 installs okay, as do NT, and RedHat, Caldera, SuSE, and
Mandrake Linuxes.

I am planning to remove the Promise controller and see how it works then.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or pointers?

IDE/ATAPI CD found in 2.5, not found in 2.6

Post by James Grav » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

There have been several reports of stock OBSD 2.6 not working with
various IDE CD-ROM drives.

There is now a kernel patch available for 2.6 which seems to fix the
problem for most people.

For OBSD installation, you can:

        1. Download the latest 2.6 boot floppy, which has a patched kernel.

        2. Copy the 2.6 installation tarballs to a FFS or DOS partition,
        and install from the hard drive.

After installation, you'll of course need to install the patches and
re-compile the kernel to get the CD-ROM drive recognized again.

Good luck,

James Graves
http://www.xnet.com/~ansible                       Rapture.  Be Pure. - Blondie

IDE/ATAPI CD found in 2.5, not found in 2.6

Post by mitist » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>There have been several reports of stock OBSD 2.6 not working with
>various IDE CD-ROM drives.

>There is now a kernel patch available for 2.6 which seems to fix the
>problem for most people.

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where at? Have been running into the November one all the sites I know
of ...

Thx.

IDE/ATAPI CD found in 2.5, not found in 2.6

Post by Tom Pitt » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I was able to fix this by downloading a snapshot from 8 Jan (or 11 Jan , I
forgot which).  Installing from this worked, but introduced another issue:
when booting, the system assumed / was on wd0, not sd0.  I did find
documentation on resolving that (enter boot -a at the boot prompt OR change
the config line in kernel config file to refer to the correct drive - not
to use default).

Tom