Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by Siegbert Marschal » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:07:41

Hi,

got a bunch of Compaq Prolinea 4/50 here with 32MB RAM.
Wan't to use them for Firewall, Logging and Stuff.

They work fine on Linux + Win, but using OpenBSD they only recognize
15/16Megs RAM.

probing: pc0 com0 com1 mem[639K 15M a20=on]

I looked up the mailing-lists and stuff and there is some "shit" going on
with the compaq-bios. Tried adding the following to the kernel-conf and
recompiling but it did not work. (EXTMEM_SIZE...)

include "../../../conf/GENERIC"

option          I386_CPU        # CPU classes; at least one is REQUIRED
option          I486_CPU
option          I586_CPU
option          I686_CPU
option          GPL_MATH_EMULATE        # floating point emulation

option          UVM             # use the UVM virtual memory system

option          EXTMEM_SIZE=32768 # size of extended memory

#option         VM86            # Virtual 8086 emulation

Setting it to 31744 nope, 32M or 32m ERROR when doing config.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks, Siggi.

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by anon » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 05:19:00

You don't need to recompile your kernel, just make a file in /etc called
boot.conf and add the following lines:

where the first number is the amount of memory in bytes you have above
16 MB, and the second is the address at which you want to add it (After
the first 16 MB).

> Hi,

> got a bunch of Compaq Prolinea 4/50 here with 32MB RAM.
> Wan't to use them for Firewall, Logging and Stuff.

> They work fine on Linux + Win, but using OpenBSD they only recognize
> 15/16Megs RAM.

> probing: pc0 com0 com1 mem[639K 15M a20=on]

> I looked up the mailing-lists and stuff and there is some "shit" going on
> with the compaq-bios. Tried adding the following to the kernel-conf and
> recompiling but it did not work. (EXTMEM_SIZE...)

> include "../../../conf/GENERIC"

> option          I386_CPU        # CPU classes; at least one is REQUIRED
> option          I486_CPU
> option          I586_CPU
> option          I686_CPU
> option          GPL_MATH_EMULATE        # floating point emulation

> option          UVM             # use the UVM virtual memory system

> option          EXTMEM_SIZE=32768 # size of extended memory

> #option         VM86            # Virtual 8086 emulation

> Setting it to 31744 nope, 32M or 32m ERROR when doing config.

> Anybody can help me?

> Thanks, Siggi.

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by Siegbert Marschal » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:47:07

Hi,

read about that in the mailinglist, was not shure if I should do that since
the guy also complained about lot's of segfaults and stuff. Also didn't find
the boot.conf file.

Did put it in now, seems to work. Let's see.

Thanks for you help, Siggi.

> You don't need to recompile your kernel, just make a file in /etc called
> boot.conf and add the following lines:

> where the first number is the amount of memory in bytes you have above
> 16 MB, and the second is the address at which you want to add it (After
> the first 16 MB).

> > Hi,

> > got a bunch of Compaq Prolinea 4/50 here with 32MB RAM.
> > Wan't to use them for Firewall, Logging and Stuff.

> > They work fine on Linux + Win, but using OpenBSD they only recognize
> > 15/16Megs RAM.

> > probing: pc0 com0 com1 mem[639K 15M a20=on]

> > I looked up the mailing-lists and stuff and there is some "shit" going on
> > with the compaq-bios. Tried adding the following to the kernel-conf and
> > recompiling but it did not work. (EXTMEM_SIZE...)

> > include "../../../conf/GENERIC"

> > option          I386_CPU        # CPU classes; at least one is REQUIRED
> > option          I486_CPU
> > option          I586_CPU
> > option          I686_CPU
> > option          GPL_MATH_EMULATE        # floating point emulation

> > option          UVM             # use the UVM virtual memory system

> > option          EXTMEM_SIZE=32768 # size of extended memory

> > #option         VM86            # Virtual 8086 emulation

> > Setting it to 31744 nope, 32M or 32m ERROR when doing config.

> > Anybody can help me?

> > Thanks, Siggi.

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by Andreas Schweitz » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.
However, I found the boot option already, but
screwed up the numbers. dmesg tells me now
the whole 24MB RAM (I only have 24MB), but
top still thinks I have 16MB.

Does your top work ?
When I'm at home I'll put in the right numbers
and see if top behaves correctly.

BTW, I overclocked the 50Mhz to 66 Mhz
without problems. The jumper settings are
written on the big white label when you
open the box :-)

Cheers
Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by anon » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Top works find for my machines ... although I do recall seeing fail once
on a laptop.  My advice would be to try it again once you get the proper
numbers entered ...

Post by Andreas Schweitz » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:12:03

>> I have the exact same problem.
>> However, I found the boot option already, but
>> screwed up the numbers. dmesg tells me now
>> the whole 24MB RAM (I only have 24MB), but
>> top still thinks I have 16MB.

>Top works find for my machines ... although I do recall seeing fail once
>on a laptop.  My advice would be to try it again once you get the proper
>numbers entered ...

Well, the system uses now the full memory.
Apparently I just don't understand what top wants to tell me :-)
for the Real-tot part I get anything from 10MB to 20MB depending
on memory usage. I guess I'll have to read the manual more carefully.

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/
        This post is brought to you by VIM, slrn and FreeBSD

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by Siegbert Marschal » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:24:52

Hi,

didn't notice there's still something going on here, that's why I'm late. :)

Quote:> the whole 24MB RAM (I only have 24MB), but
> top still thinks I have 16MB.

> Does your top work ?
> When I'm at home I'll put in the right numbers
> and see if top behaves correctly.

yeah, top's kinda weird. dmesg is the number that counts.

Quote:

> BTW, I overclocked the 50Mhz to 66 Mhz
> without problems. The jumper settings are
> written on the big white label when you
> open the box :-)

didn't try that, should work fine with adequate cooling.
have enough dx2/66 lying around here.

upgraded one of the boxen to Pentium Overdrive 83MHz and 56megs.
together with a 20g 5400rpm maxtor in foam-bearing, and passive cpu-
cooler, the most silent pc i ever heard, except the diskless thingies.

another one has an amd133 with 3.3v adapter socket, works fine too.

really like them, only thing which sucks is that they don't boot without
keyboard, any idea?

bye, siggi.

Memory Detection / Compaq ?

Post by Andreas Schweitz » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:39:59

>> Does your top work ?
>yeah, top's kinda weird. dmesg is the number that counts.

good :-)

Quote:>> BTW, I overclocked the 50Mhz to 66 Mhz
>> without problems. The jumper settings are
>> written on the big white label when you
>> open the box :-)
>didn't try that, should work fine with adequate cooling.
>have enough dx2/66 lying around here.

I was just bold. I just changed the jumpers. It was almost
begging for it when I had the case open. No extra cooling.
The heatsink is enough. These old CPU's are not that delicate ...

Quote:>upgraded one of the boxen to Pentium Overdrive 83MHz and 56megs.
>together with a 20g 5400rpm maxtor in foam-bearing, and passive cpu-
>cooler, the most silent pc i ever heard, except the diskless thingies.

>another one has an amd133 with 3.3v adapter socket, works fine too.

Sounds pretty neat.
Plus I like the idea of having such a compact case.

Quote:>really like them, only thing which sucks is that they don't boot without
>keyboard, any idea?

right ....  good thing it just runs and runs and runs ;-)

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/
        This post is brought to you by VIM, slrn and FreeBSD

1. Compaq Laptop Memory Detection?

I have a Compaq LTE5380 Laptop with 32 megs of RAM.  Only trouble is,
Linux only detects 16 megs of it; yet MessyDOS sees all 32 megs :-(.

I tried forcing it from LILO, and then /proc/meminfo reported the whole
32 megs, but the system rebooted itself within a few minutes of use.  (I
was trying to start a bunch of memory hogs to see if all 32 megs were
usable.  Guess not...)

Does anyone know what could be going on here?  Is there perhaps a memory
hole that I need to exclude?  Any utility SW to probe the memory?  I've
run a lot of other machines with more memory with no problems - what is
weird about Compaq?

        Thanks,
        Steve Falco

2. SMB and IP masquerading

3. Compaq Prolinia & incorrect hd detection

4. How redirect to different dir?

5. SCSI DAT tape detection on Compaq DL380

6. preserve half mirror

7. PCMCIA Chipset detection failure (Compaq)

8. New kernel & modules_install

9. Microchannel Ram Memory detection problems...

10. Athlon motherboard & memory detection problem

11. A problem with memory detection

12. Memory Detection

13. Memory leak detection tool