Ethernet problem: 3C589D PCMCIA NIC in Mitsubishi Amity VP

Ethernet problem: 3C589D PCMCIA NIC in Mitsubishi Amity VP

Post by Douglas Mandel » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:39:08

Greetings,

I have a Mitsubishi Amity VP sub-laptop computer onto which I have loaded
OpenBSD 2.9.  This machine uses an AMD 5x86 processor and has 16MB of memory.
I have a 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA ethernet card installed which is connected to a
LAN.  The machine boots and runs fine except that the ethernet connection will
only stay active for a few minutes at a time, after which it simply stops
working-- no panics, no errors, no log messages, and no packets!  If I shut
down and re-start the ethernet interface with the following commands:

# ifconfig ep1 down
# ifconfig ep1 up

then the ethernet connection starts working again (for a few minutes.)

Just for grins, I tried running the 2.8 kernel instead, but it does the same
thing.  I have also tried two different ethernet cards with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Douglas Mandell

1. Mitsubishi Amity VP

Has anyone tried installing Linux on an Amity?
I'd like to hear about it.

Laurel Williams, Student Intern, Department 2
ATR Media Integration and Communications Research Labs
Seika-ch, Soraku-gun, Kyoto 619-0288 Japan
Tel. +81 774 95 1448, Fax. +81 774 95 1408

URL (with lolly_cam!): www.ee.ryerson.ca/~lwilliam
ICQ: lollipop - 11514580

2. How can I read SCO help with e.g. Netscape through TCP/IP?

3. FORSALE: Mitsubishi Amity CN (Win95/Linux dual boot)

4. libXm.so.2

5. Using PS2 port on Mitsubishi Amity CN under Redhat 5.2

6. How to spin down SCSI disks?

7. Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem

8. Error compiling Gnome core 1.0.41

9. How to get 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA III Ethernet card working

10. FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet Card

11. laptop pcmcia ethernet 3c589D

12. PCMCIA Ethernet with promiscuous mode? 3C589D?

13. 3c589D pcmcia card - /etc/pcmcia/network.opts