Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Shaun Noona » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Does know where I can find some bootable ISO CD images of the 2.6 release?
I've got a box with a messed up FDC.  If I can find one, I'll put it up
on my FTP server once the box is up.

Thanks,
-Shaun

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Helmut Kre » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>Does know where I can find some bootable ISO CD images of the 2.6 release?
>I've got a box with a messed up FDC.  If I can find one, I'll put it up
>on my FTP server once the box is up.

AFAIK the OpenBSD projekt uses the CD-distribution as a source of funding.
Therefore you should buy a CD set. If this is not possible for you for
various reasons, you may want to have a look at mkisofs. This program allows
you to make an ISO image of an "El Torito" bootable CD from a floppy image.

        Helmut

--
Un*x is user friendly. It's just selective about who it's friends are.


 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by nosp » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00


I'm aware that the project is funded by the sale of the CD's, this shouldn't
prevent the distribution of the miniroot.fs as an ISO to create a minimal
bootable CD just like the minimal bootable floppy.

How about distributing those mini-CDs (the business card sized 50Mb
disks) with just the boot information and the basic installation set, they'd
make great promotional items.




>>Does know where I can find some bootable ISO CD images of the 2.6 release?
>>I've got a box with a messed up FDC.  If I can find one, I'll put it up
>>on my FTP server once the box is up.

I have a machine with a CD drive but no floppy, I ended up doing a basic
install of Solaris 2.6, copying the OpenBSD miniroot to the swap partition,
then booting from the swap partition so I could do a network installation.

Quote:>AFAIK the OpenBSD projekt uses the CD-distribution as a source of funding.
>Therefore you should buy a CD set. If this is not possible for you for
>various reasons, you may want to have a look at mkisofs. This program allows
>you to make an ISO image of an "El Torito" bootable CD from a floppy image.

I ordered my CD set a month ago, and have yet to receive anything except
an email a week ago saying that it would ship 'soon'.
 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Theo de Raad » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I'm aware that the project is funded by the sale of the CD's, this shouldn't
> prevent the distribution of the miniroot.fs as an ISO to create a minimal
> bootable CD just like the minimal bootable floppy.

> How about distributing those mini-CDs (the business card sized 50Mb
> disks) with just the boot information and the basic installation set, they'd
> make great promotional items.

Mini-CDs cost more than regular CDs.  Bet you didn't know that.

--

Open Source means some restrictions apply, limits are placed, often quite
severe. Free Software has _no_ serious restrictions.  OpenBSD is Free Software.

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Breen Ouellett » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Hi,

    Although I haven't tried it with anything other than MS disks, you should be
able to make a bootable CD using a floppy.  The CD-R software I use takes a
bootable floppy and burns it onto the disc so that it boots.  Do this with
floppy26.fs.  Of course, this assumes that you have a computer with a CD-R and
working floppy, and if his machine with the broken floppy controller is his only
machine, then it doesn't help.  It is probably not the case, however.

    Heck, you could also DL the entire dist and burn it onto that same bootable
CD-R.  I don't recommend it (support the cause!), but it seems perfectly feasible
from a technical point of view.

    -Breen Ouellette


> I'm aware that the project is funded by the sale of the CD's, this shouldn't
> prevent the distribution of the miniroot.fs as an ISO to create a minimal
> bootable CD just like the minimal bootable floppy.

> How about distributing those mini-CDs (the business card sized 50Mb
> disks) with just the boot information and the basic installation set, they'd
> make great promotional items.




> >>Does know where I can find some bootable ISO CD images of the 2.6 release?
> >>I've got a box with a messed up FDC.  If I can find one, I'll put it up
> >>on my FTP server once the box is up.

> I have a machine with a CD drive but no floppy, I ended up doing a basic
> install of Solaris 2.6, copying the OpenBSD miniroot to the swap partition,
> then booting from the swap partition so I could do a network installation.

> >AFAIK the OpenBSD projekt uses the CD-distribution as a source of funding.
> >Therefore you should buy a CD set. If this is not possible for you for
> >various reasons, you may want to have a look at mkisofs. This program allows
> >you to make an ISO image of an "El Torito" bootable CD from a floppy image.

> I ordered my CD set a month ago, and have yet to receive anything except
> an email a week ago saying that it would ship 'soon'.

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00


|    Heck, you could also DL the entire dist and burn it onto that same bootable
|CD-R.  I don't recommend it (support the cause!), but it seems perfectly feasible
|from a technical point of view.

Doing such may be useful if you want to make a custom CD (e.g. with all
of the post-release patches to date and your site localizations).  Of course,
you could "support the cause" by buying the release CD and using that as
the basis for your custom CD.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by Shaun Noona » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Actually, I already placed an order for the CD's from openbsd.org. I just
didn't expect it to be here by this weekened. Thanks for the suggestion
about the floppy image.. I just assumed there'd be some kind of geometry
issues with placing the image on a different media format.  I'll give it a
shot.

Thanks!
-Shaun


> Hi,
>     Although I haven't tried it with anything other than MS disks, you should be
> able to make a bootable CD using a floppy.  The CD-R software I use takes a
> bootable floppy and burns it onto the disc so that it boots.  Do this with
> floppy26.fs.  Of course, this assumes that you have a computer with a CD-R and
> working floppy, and if his machine with the broken floppy controller is his only
> machine, then it doesn't help.  It is probably not the case, however.
>     Heck, you could also DL the entire dist and burn it onto that same bootable
> CD-R.  I don't recommend it (support the cause!), but it seems perfectly feasible
> from a technical point of view.

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by mc.. » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>>Although I haven't tried it with anything other than MS disks, you should be
>>able to make a bootable CD using a floppy.  The CD-R software I use takes a
>>bootable floppy and burns it onto the disc so that it boots.

btw, what software is this?  I'm interested.
I'd be especially interested if this were something that runs under a Unix-type
OS and is freeware -- i.e. grab the source and build it.  [Hey, a guy can
hope.]

Also, if anyone else out there knows of CDR software that will do this, please
feel free to list away!

Thanks!

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by to.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00


: I'm aware that the project is funded by the sale of the CD's, this shouldn't
: prevent the distribution of the miniroot.fs as an ISO to create a minimal
: bootable CD just like the minimal bootable floppy.

: How about distributing those mini-CDs (the business card sized 50Mb
: disks) with just the boot information and the basic installation set, they'd
: make great promotional items.

cdrom26.fs exists, it is a 2.88mb bootable floppy image that works when
written to cdrom's.
--

 
 
 

Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

Post by to.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00


:>>Although I haven't tried it with anything other than MS disks, you should be
:>>able to make a bootable CD using a floppy.  The CD-R software I use takes a
:>>bootable floppy and burns it onto the disc so that it boots.

: btw, what software is this?  I'm interested.
: I'd be especially interested if this were something that runs under a Unix-type
: OS and is freeware -- i.e. grab the source and build it.  [Hey, a guy can
: hope.]

: Also, if anyone else out there knows of CDR software that will do this, please
: feel free to list away!

: Thanks!

mkisofs(8)  <-- base os install
cdrecord(1) <-- from ports

--

 
 
 

1. Solaris 2.6 Bootable CD, which boot image?

We're building a custom Solaris 2.6 CDROM and I've gotten up to the
point where I need to make it bootable.

Currently Solaris uses 5 "dummy" partitions, with a file /.SUNW-boot-redirect
to indicate (presumably) that partition #1 is to be used for booting.

I have couple of questions:

        1. Do the alternate partitions (s1-s5) need the installboot run
        against them?  Or just s1?

        2. Which boot image do I use?  Currently the 2.6 CD (from SUN)
        boots up on everything.  Which architecture did they use?
        IS there a way to query the CDROM and find out which architecture
        the original "installboot" used?  We want the same functionality
        (boot ANY machine) but don't know which architecture to use
        under /usr/platform.  

Any help is appreciated!

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Clinton A. Pierce    |   "If you rush a Miracle Man,   | http://www.  |


+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
GCSd-s+:+a-C++UALIS++++P+++L++E---t++X+b+++DI++++G++e+>++h----r+++y+++>y*

2. Name of recommended advanced AIX book?

3. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

4. Linux and Novell Netware

5. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

6. GW2K "Liberty" IR port under FreeBSD 2.1.5-R?

7. HELP iso image burning to cd and making it bootable HELP

8. Term problems

9. Unable to create Bootable CD using RedHat9 ISO images...

10. Need ISO cd-rom images of: FreeBSD 3.2, OpenBSD 2.5, and NetBSD 1.4...

11. ISO image of the just released LinuxPPC 5.0 CD??

12. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

13. Burning an ISO into a bootable CD and mp3's to music CD's.