OpenBSD (2 versions) install fails on HP Vectra where FreeBSD installs OK

OpenBSD (2 versions) install fails on HP Vectra where FreeBSD installs OK

Post by Russell Fram » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:34:11

I've been trying to get OpenBSD to install on a couple of HP Vectra VL6
Series 8 PC's that I recently picked up.  Both have PII 400 CPU's, one has a
6.5GB drive and one has a 46GB drive.  The most recent BIOS (dated 2000) is
on both PC's and I've tried changing the drive geometry options in the bios
(the options are NT/DOS and OTHER), neither have worked.

When booting the 3.0 install floppy it locks up after rootdev= (blah) so I
can't even start an install.  I have used this floppy on other boxes and it
worked fine.

I had an old OpenBSD 2.5 CDROM and tried that.  I got it to complete the
installation but then it wouldn't boot.  It gets to a message about "using
disk 0 partition 3" or something similar and then stops.

I tried a copy of FreeBSD 3.3 and that loads, boots, and runs just fine.
I'm downloading 4.4 now to see how that works.

I'd really rather run OpenBSD on these boxes as they will be Internet
servers and I'd sleep better at night with OpenBSD.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Russ

Post by p.. » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:02:52

> I've been trying to get OpenBSD to install on a couple of HP Vectra VL6
> Series 8 PC's that I recently picked up.  Both have PII 400 CPU's, one has a
> 6.5GB drive and one has a 46GB drive.  The most recent BIOS (dated 2000) is
> on both PC's and I've tried changing the drive geometry options in the bios
> (the options are NT/DOS and OTHER), neither have worked.
> When booting the 3.0 install floppy it locks up after rootdev= (blah) so I
> can't even start an install.  I have used this floppy on other boxes and it
> worked fine.
> I had an old OpenBSD 2.5 CDROM and tried that.  I got it to complete the
> installation but then it wouldn't boot.  It gets to a message about "using
> disk 0 partition 3" or something similar and then stops.
> I tried a copy of FreeBSD 3.3 and that loads, boots, and runs just fine.
> I'm downloading 4.4 now to see how that works.
> I'd really rather run OpenBSD on these boxes as they will be Internet
> servers and I'd sleep better at night with OpenBSD.  Any ideas?

Sell the boxes and buy some _real_ hardware.  HP is not known to
run anything else then the wintendo ports done by HP at the time
of delivery.

If you can't find a buyer, grab the useful parts and junk the rest.

Sounds harsh, but think what would happen _if_ yoy get them running
and something breaks, it will cost you both arms and a leg to get
spareparts from hp.

Quote:> Thanks in advance,

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

OpenBSD (2 versions) install fails on HP Vectra where FreeBSD installs OK

Post by Russell Fram » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:48:54

Hmmm, well...HP business PC's (kayak, vectra, etc.) run and are certified to
run several linux distro's, HP even contributes drivers, and they've been
used in multiple clustering projects.  HP also funds open source projects.
I'm running FreeBSD without a problem.  So, at this point it's just OpenBSD
that doesn't work, and I'm guessing it's just these particular systems since
I know of others running OpenBSD.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Quote:

> Sell the boxes and buy some _real_ hardware.  HP is not known to
> run anything else then the wintendo ports done by HP at the time
> of delivery.

> If you can't find a buyer, grab the useful parts and junk the rest.

> Sounds harsh, but think what would happen _if_ yoy get them running
> and something breaks, it will cost you both arms and a leg to get
> spareparts from hp.
> Peter H?kanson
>         IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of
Volvo)
>            Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out.
>    Remove "icke-reklam" and it works.

OpenBSD (2 versions) install fails on HP Vectra where FreeBSD installs OK

Post by Mik » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:47:00

fwiw... I'm running OpenBSD 2.9 on a HP Vectra XA (PII, 200MHz), and
OpenBSD 3.0 on a HP Vectra XL (PII 233MHz).  I am also running RH
Linux 7.1 on a HP Kayak XA; prior to that, the Kayak ran RH Linux 7.0.

All are running without a problem.

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:48:54 -0600, "Russell Frame"

>Hmmm, well...HP business PC's (kayak, vectra, etc.) run and are certified to
>run several linux distro's, HP even contributes drivers, and they've been
>used in multiple clustering projects.  HP also funds open source projects.
>I'm running FreeBSD without a problem.  So, at this point it's just OpenBSD
>that doesn't work, and I'm guessing it's just these particular systems since
>I know of others running OpenBSD.

>Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

>> Sell the boxes and buy some _real_ hardware.  HP is not known to
>> run anything else then the wintendo ports done by HP at the time
>> of delivery.

>> If you can't find a buyer, grab the useful parts and junk the rest.

>> Sounds harsh, but think what would happen _if_ yoy get them running
>> and something breaks, it will cost you both arms and a leg to get
>> spareparts from hp.

>> Peter H?kanson
>>         IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of
>Volvo)
>>            Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out.
>>    Remove "icke-reklam" and it works.

1. HP Vectra install fails

I'm trying to install 4.6-release to an HP Vectra. I presume the
hardware is fine since I can install OpenBSD and several different
distro's of linux just fine. The FBSD install starts, runs through all
of the questions, partitions and formats the drive, then dies with Write
error's when is starts to uncompress and install the first file. I have
tried two different hard drives, a 4.3Gb and a 40Gb with the same
results. Is this hardware just not compatible with FBSD ??

- Gary

PS. I have tried both cdrom and ftp installs with the same results.

2. NAT: 1-1 mapping from 192.168.x.x to 10.168.x.x ?

3. Can't install FreeBSD 3.1 on HP Vectra VL

4. Problems compiling Gnome (glib)

5. Rerdhat 5.0 rpm install failed & install failed (real big problem :) )

6. Iomega external zip-100 drive problem

7. Problems with HP Vectra XU 5/90 RH5.1 Install

8. QIC-02 Setup

9. Install hangs immediately on HP Vectra 486/100

10. HP Vectra XM - Read error after installing 3.3-Rel

11. Help: Install Linux on HP Vectra /XU 5/90C

12. Help Solaris 2.6 & 2.7 can't install on HP Vectra VLi8 :-(((((((

13. Can't install linux on HP Vectra VE ...