2.6 & CD ROM Woes - Part II

Post by James Moor » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The problem focus (at least for me) has shifted, so I am starting a
new thread. Basically, my problem still is that I cannot install ver
2.6 - the suspected reason is that my cd-rom drive is incommunicado
with the software on my OpenBSD 2.6 cd.

I am trying to boot from diskette. The # 1 cd of the 2.6 set is in the
cd-rom drive. The boot process halts with the following message:

"wdc_atapi_intr_drq: Unexpectedly in the command phase. Please report
this"

followed by bunches of:
"wdc_atapi_start: not ready, st=58"

My understanding of the state of things from the earlier thread is
this: Ver 2.6 as released on cd did not talk to some cd-rom drives.
Patches released subsequent to the 2.6 release improve this situation.
But... the patches have to be compiled, and an updated version of
floppy26.fs must be created to allow me to boot from floppy. Some
other alternatives that involved downloading tarballs, installing from
network, etc were mentioned, but I don't believe these will not work
in my case because there is no OS on the hard drive currently.

I read more on the OpenBSD website today, and learned that "snapshots"
are available that are (I think) updated binaries that include the
post-2.6 release fixes that I need. Whoopeee!

My joy was short-lived however when I downloaded the floppy26.fs file,
and learned it was too large to fit on the 1.44 MB floppy. I tried a
different floppy, and a different mirror with the same results.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for what to try next?

Thanks,
James Moore

2.6 & CD ROM Woes - Part II

Post by James Moor » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Whoops! I had a memory lapse & forgot that floppy26.fs has to be
written by ntrw.exe instead of just copying. I am now looking at a
prompt to begin partitioning/labeling my hd! YeeeHahhh.

Thanks for you help, James.

No problem, James.

Quote:>The problem focus (at least for me) has shifted, so I am starting a
>new thread. Basically, my problem still is that I cannot install ver
>2.6 - the suspected reason is that my cd-rom drive is incommunicado
>with the software on my OpenBSD 2.6 cd.

>I am trying to boot from diskette. The # 1 cd of the 2.6 set is in the
>cd-rom drive. The boot process halts with the following message:

>"wdc_atapi_intr_drq: Unexpectedly in the command phase. Please report
>this"

>followed by bunches of:
>"wdc_atapi_start: not ready, st=58"

>My understanding of the state of things from the earlier thread is
>this: Ver 2.6 as released on cd did not talk to some cd-rom drives.
>Patches released subsequent to the 2.6 release improve this situation.
>But... the patches have to be compiled, and an updated version of
>floppy26.fs must be created to allow me to boot from floppy. Some
>other alternatives that involved downloading tarballs, installing from
>network, etc were mentioned, but I don't believe these will not work
>in my case because there is no OS on the hard drive currently.

>I read more on the OpenBSD website today, and learned that "snapshots"
>are available that are (I think) updated binaries that include the
>post-2.6 release fixes that I need. Whoopeee!

>My joy was short-lived however when I downloaded the floppy26.fs file,
>and learned it was too large to fit on the 1.44 MB floppy. I tried a
>different floppy, and a different mirror with the same results.

>Can anyone offer any suggestions for what to try next?

>Thanks,
>James Moore

1. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

Finally!

As I posted recently, I got the TA CD-ROM, and found that the setup kernel
recognized the CD drive, but the installed one didn't. I had trouble with
the recompile, as well.

The answer is:
    in (I think it's) /etc/include/linux/drivers/blocks, there are *two*
        makefiles. One is named Makefile, the other Makefile.orig. When
        I diffed them, I discovered Makefile.orig *had* conditions for
        compiling the Mitsumi driver, the Soundblaster driver, and one
        other driver, and Makefile *didn't*. I renamed both, and reran
        the compile. No problems, using lilo (after the usual moving &
        /etc/lilo/install) I boot off my hard drive, I can mount the
        CD ROM, etc.

I am emailing TA this, as well.

        mark

2. Console problems..

3. cd-rom trouble - part II

4. What's "Bus error" when loading Netscape mean?

5. PPP server in Solaris 2.6 Part II

6. Broken compiler: Help, please!

7. Solaris 2.6 exam Part II braindump

8. 2.5 PreBeta Bidir Modem Problem?

9. Advice on Sun Solaris 2.6 System Administrator Exam Part II

10. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

11. Searching Direct CD to CD copy utility, Part II

12. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

13. Crontab Woes Part II