installation bsd on sunblade 100 fails: timeout wd0

installation bsd on sunblade 100 fails: timeout wd0

Post by fran » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:54:59

When trying to install openbsd 3.2 for sparc64 on my blade 100, I run
into a problem. Here is what I've done so far: Solaris 8 installed on
the IDE disk. Flashed the eeprom with the latest flash update (solaris
patch 111179-06). Copy miniroot32.fs to swap slice while in maintenance
mode:

#dd if=miniroot32.fs of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3 bs=64b

Change runlevel to 0 (=OK prompt)

#init 0

boot the bsd kernel

OK boot disk:d bsd

The systems now boots the OpenBSD kernel and I choose I(nstall). After
accepting the [sun] terminal and pressing [y] to continue it asks me to
enter the root disk:

Available disks are: wd0
Which one is the root disk? (or done) [wd0]
wd0(pciide0:0:0): timeout
type: ata
c_bcount: 512
c_skip: 0

The system is not responding anymore after this timeout message. It only
responds to a powercycle. A few months ago I had no such problems when
installing OpenBSD 3.1 this way. I think the PROM update is the cause of
this problem, but don't know how to solve this.

Greetz,
Frank

1. Fact! 99/100 linux installations FAIL!!!!!

...on my test set up:

Computer 1
----------

1 working 486 CPU+MOBO,
A funny old HDD which makes grinding noises
A floppy drive which I modded by putting sand in it.
A CDROM drive with half of the IDE pins cut off
1 GF2MX cut so it fits in an ISA socket.

Computer 2
----------

An old SGI indy,
3 external SCSI drives. No power cord for them, though.
An old HD SCSI CDROM drive with a CD-Caddy.

Computer 3
----------
A fully working modern computer (P4, 512M, GF4, 160GB disks), with the power
supply cunningly switched from 230V to 110V for that extra speed in overclocking.

Computer 4
----------

A BBC Master with a 5.25" floppy drive. The kind you can just about force CDs in
to if you try really hard.
CUB 7 colour TTL moniter
Speech ROM installed
Disk, Econet and tube controllers installed.
Extra 6502 CMOS coprocessor installed.

I tried every distribution I could find and:

NONE OF THEM WORKED!!!!!!

Gentoo failed.
Knoppix failed.
Redhat (5.2, 6.0, 6.2, 7.1, 7.3, 8.0) all failed
Debian Failed
Slackware failed.
Yggdrasil failed.

Linux is obviously shit.

In fact, even trying the knoppic CD in the SGI caused the CD to become
irrepearbly scratched, and the Slackware CD became completely stuck in the disk
drive.

But, I thought I'd give linux a fair chance, so I started randomly permuting
the hardware on the computers until I came up with a combination that the
shitty distributions could work with.

After the 5th permutation, I switched on the computers and black smoke came
from the powersupply of the 486.

LINUX BROKE MY HARDWARE TOO!!!!

After this, I gave up on linux and installed the modern, professional windows XP.
It obviously justworked on all the hardware and even provided power for my three
SCSI drives. No more X inconsistencies. No more jagged fonts. No more
unsupported hardware.

-Ed

2. X Authentication failed

3. SUN's SunBlade 100 Screwup

4. 2.0.30 SYN bug? Network probs?

5. How to use an IDE disk on a SunBlade 100 ?

6. The questions.

7. Sunblade 100 and sunpci IIpro ram interchangable?

8. how to find cause for <defunct> processes

9. Sunblade-100 regrets

10. Printer on Sunblade 100

11. Hylafax on SunBlade 100 ?

12. What Kind of RAM can I install on SunBlade 100?

13. FYI: cron problem on sunblade 100 solaris 8 rel 7/01