NFS server too slow...

Post by Ciro Scognamigl » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 04:14:11

Hi all,

I have set up an OpenBSD Box to use as a small fileserver in my lan.
The machine is an old P133 w/ a SiS IDE controller, a 2GB disk (Seagate, rather old)
and 64MB of memory (40MB free at boot time).

The problem is when I transfer a file from an NFS client (Linux or AmigaOS
are the other 2 machines I have in the LAN).
The file get copied ok, but the HD keeps writing all the time heavly, slowing down
the transfer.
I thought it could be an hardware problem (as I said the machine is rather old
and I am even not sure how does work the DMA mode for that SiS controller...it
is the 5513 IIRC)

But...If I transfer the same file (50MB in size) throught FTP the transfer get
done smoothly and rather fast....writes to disk are normal...

I think the NFS server is not buffering or something...but I haven't find a
single option (in mountd, nfsd or even kernel options) to increase I/O buffer
number or size...

Is it possible? Am I doing something wrong?

The same thing doesn't happen with my Linux box acting as an NFS server (but the
machine is more powerful).
BTW exactly the same thing happened with FreeBSD...

thnx in advance for your advice.

Ciro.

P.S.
If possible I would please those who answer to cc their answer via email too
as I am not sure when I am going to read the ng the next time...

NFS server too slow...

Post by Chris Huan » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:20:53

Hi there,
If you are using ISA network card ( or older network card ) on the file
server
and maybe have a PCI network card on client side. Client may *the
server.
Since you are using older hardware. =)

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Section  17.4.5

NFS server too slow...

Post by Ciro Scognamigli » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:54:56

mmm, I have something to say too :)

Quote:> Hi there,
> If you are using ISA network card ( or older network card ) on the file
> server
> and maybe have a PCI network card on client side. Client may *the
> server.
> Since you are using older hardware. =)

nope, the server use a rather new 3com ethernet card on PCI
running at 10Mbit (the card is a 10/100)
While the other PC (linux/windows) have a PCI intel 10/100 etherexpress
and my A4000 has an ariadneII 10Mbit card...that it is not PCI nor ISA but
something between :))

As I said I don't have that problem if I run the Linux box as NFS server...
I think it is a software related problem (i.e. misconfiguration)...
but I will investigate...

--

regards,

Ciro.

--
    Writing from the computer science department of Milan (DSI)
       home page at http://www.veryComputer.com/~cs556770/