low throughput DDS4 drive

Post by Dick Viss » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm currently working on a fileserver for a Windows/mac network.
The box is a Dell poweredge 1300/256Mb, with 2*8 and 1*18 Gb U2W-SCSI disk.
Backup is done with an DDS4 DAT drive. ALthough dmesg tells me:

st0 at scsibus2 targ 6 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, Python 06408-XXX, 8071>
SCSI3 1/sequential removable

I know that the drive really is some Seagate model.

It all seems to work fine using dump/restore (examples on the openbsd-faq)
but the throughput seems a bit slow: average about 1,2 Mb/sec.
I think this combination of hardware ought to make at least 2 Mb/sec.
Anybody knows any options/arguments to pass to dump to get my DAT drive
into some speedier mode?

Dick Visser
Amsterdam
The Netherlands