Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Post by thod » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:55:09

Hi,
I just installed OpenBSD 3.1 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. Works
nicely,except one thing: I installed emulators/redhat from the ports
tree, and downloaded the current Mozilla 1.1 for Linux from
mozilla.org. Installation works, /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla starts,
but all I get is "Connection Refused", no matter what website I try. No
proxys or anything are configured, and lynx works fine, so there's
nothing wrong with my network.

Any ideas?
Thorsten
--
Wenn ist das Nunstrck git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Post by clvrmnk » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:00:34

> I just installed OpenBSD 3.1 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. Works
> nicely,except one thing: I installed emulators/redhat from the ports
> tree, and downloaded the current Mozilla 1.1 for Linux from
> mozilla.org. Installation works, /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla starts,
> but all I get is "Connection Refused", no matter what website I try. No
> proxys or anything are configured, and lynx works fine, so there's
> nothing wrong with my network.

I don't have direct experience, but my understanding is that Mozilla
won't run on OBSD at all, regardless of how it is invoked.

-- cm

Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Post by thod » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:17:53

* clvrmnky (Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:00:34 -0400):

> > I just installed OpenBSD 3.1 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. Works
> > nicely,except one thing: I installed emulators/redhat from the ports
> > tree, and downloaded the current Mozilla 1.1 for Linux from
> > mozilla.org. Installation works, /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla starts,
> > but all I get is "Connection Refused", no matter what website I try. No
> > proxys or anything are configured, and lynx works fine, so there's
> > nothing wrong with my network.

>  I don't have direct experience, but my understanding is that Mozilla
>  won't run on OBSD at all, regardless of how it is invoked.

Hmm, that's sad. Why not? It starts OK, the GUI is there, but all it
does is send out name server queries. First ipv6, then ipv4, the
*trying* to connect.

Thorsten
--

Post by clvrmnk » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:06:22

>> I don't have direct experience, but my understanding is that Mozilla
>> won't run on OBSD at all, regardless of how it is invoked.

> Hmm, that's sad. Why not? It starts OK, the GUI is there, but all it
> does is send out name server queries. First ipv6, then ipv4, the
> *trying* to connect.

More guessing here, but it may be that the network calls being made to
the Linux libraries aren't handled by the compatibility stuff in the
OBSD kernel.  Running ldd on mozilla-bin shows it wants a lot of stuff,
and many of the libraries are actually in the Mozilla directory.

Mozilla has a lot of special network stuff that it does -- it doesn't
just open up sockets and read.

It looks like someone did a OpenBSD port of Mozilla, based on the NetBSD
port, but it's really old.

Your problem seems to be a common complaint, though (see
http://www.trumpetpower.com/OpenBSD/Meta-FAQ#mozilla).  Either you build
it and it dumps core, or you run the Linux binary, and there is no
network access.

-- jdv

Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Post by thod » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:53:46

* clvrmnky (Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:06:22 -0400):

Quote:

>  It looks like someone did a OpenBSD port of Mozilla, based on the NetBSD
>  port, but it's really old.

>  Your problem seems to be a common complaint, though (see
>  http://www.trumpetpower.com/OpenBSD/Meta-FAQ#mozilla).  Either you build
>  it and it dumps core, or you run the Linux binary, and there is no
>  network access.

Thanks for the page, it answered some other of my questions too :-) So
that means that I am basically stuck with konqueror (which needs all
those KDE libs) or Opera (which is commercial software) if I want to use
a modern browser. Hmm. OK, I'll try them.

Thorsten
--
Wenn ist das Nunstrck git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Post by holt » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:25:39

Quote:> * clvrmnky (Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:06:22 -0400):

> >  It looks like someone did a OpenBSD port of Mozilla, based on the
NetBSD
> >  port, but it's really old.

> >  Your problem seems to be a common complaint, though (see
> >  http://www.trumpetpower.com/OpenBSD/Meta-FAQ#mozilla).  Either you
build
> >  it and it dumps core, or you run the Linux binary, and there is no
> >  network access.

> Thanks for the page, it answered some other of my questions too :-) So
> that means that I am basically stuck with konqueror (which needs all
> those KDE libs) or Opera (which is commercial software) if I want to use
> a modern browser. Hmm. OK, I'll try them.

> Thorsten
> --
> Wenn ist das Nunstrck git und Slotermeyer?
> Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

There is also dillo (package or ports) in 3.1 too.

Linux Mozilla refuses connection on OBSD 3.1

Post by thod » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 02:57:17

* holtz (Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:25:39 GMT):

> > Thanks for the page, it answered some other of my questions too :-) So
> > that means that I am basically stuck with konqueror (which needs all
> > those KDE libs) or Opera (which is commercial software) if I want to use
> > a modern browser. Hmm. OK, I'll try them.

>  There is also dillo (package or ports) in 3.1 too.

Thanks, looks good, too. Not really feature rich yet, but looks
promising.

Thorsten
--
perl -e 'AUTOLOAD{&_}&_'

1. obsd 3.1 -current compile error

Hi

I got sources by:
cvs co -P -rOPENBSD_3_1 src
and carefully read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-minifaq.html#1.5

after that I did:
# cd /usr/src/lib/libc
# make obj cleandir depend
# make

and got this:
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c: In function `fnmatch':
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c:77: `FNM_LEADING_DIR' undeclared (first
use in this function)
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c:77: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c:77: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c:157: `FNM_CASEFOLD' undeclared (first
use in this function)
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c: In function `rangematch':
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/fnmatch.c:183: `FNM_CASEFOLD' undeclared (first
use in this function)
*** Error code 1

Do I have to rebuild all the sources?

regards

2. Frame buffer driver crashes in XFree 3.3.6

3. OBSD 3.1: Secure out of the box!

4. SLIP client on Solaris_2.2

5. OBSD 3.1 pf/nat problem

6. Will Linux does work with my Diamond supra express modem?

7. bsd-airtools and OBSD 3.1

8. EtherChannel

9. Boot Floppy Hangs during installation of OBSD 3.1

10. named on OBSD 3.1 startup problem

11. Help with q-mail install problem on OBSD 3.1

12. wwwcount port on OBSD 3.1 - file lock issue?

13. Dell PowerEdge 2650 PERC 3/Di array controller and OBSD 3.1