VPN through ssh?

Post by Pixel Fai » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:32:41

can a network tunnel(vpn) be made through ssh?

ive seen stuff on the net about doing this in linux using pty redir
and ppp.

--
I.M.Fairy

VPN through ssh?

Post by slante » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:41:51

> can a network tunnel(vpn) be made through ssh?

yes.

Quote:> ive seen stuff on the net about doing this in linux using pty redir
> and ppp.

the documentation you're thinking of:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html

i have found this works great with my employer's linux firewall (as the
server), and my openbsd home machine (as the client).  a few tweaks are
necessary to the client script, for openbsd, to fix a couple options
in the ppp/ssh commands.

VPN through ssh?

Post by Pixel Fai » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:23:26

>> can a network tunnel(vpn) be made through ssh?

>yes.

>> ive seen stuff on the net about doing this in linux using pty redir
>> and ppp.

>the documentation you're thinking of:
>http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html

i meant can it be done with openbsd?

Quote:>i have found this works great with my employer's linux firewall (as the
>server), and my openbsd home machine (as the client).  a few tweaks are
>necessary to the client script, for openbsd, to fix a couple options
>in the ppp/ssh commands.

i looked through ppp(8) and some of the ssh man pages. ppp(8) talks
about ppp over tcp which would work, but how to encrypt the link?

Quote:>j

--
I.M.Fairy

VPN through ssh?

Post by slante » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:13:23

>>> can a network tunnel(vpn) be made through ssh?

>>yes.

>>> ive seen stuff on the net about doing this in linux using pty redir
>>> and ppp.

>>the documentation you're thinking of:
>>http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html
> i meant can it be done with openbsd?

like i said, i *know* it works from the 'client' prospective.

Quote:>>i have found this works great with my employer's linux firewall (as the
>>server), and my openbsd home machine (as the client).  a few tweaks are
>>necessary to the client script, for openbsd, to fix a couple options
>>in the ppp/ssh commands.
> i looked through ppp(8) and some of the ssh man pages. ppp(8) talks
> about ppp over tcp which would work, but how to encrypt the link?

pty-redir -> ssh -> pppd
just like the document explains.

openbsd as the 'server' side of this configuration should work fine.

1. VPN from Win98 Client thru IPCHAINS+IPMASQ firewall

Hi All,

More just curious than anything as I can get around this another way but
what specific ports is any do I need to open (and how, ie, IPCHAINS syntax)
to allow my Win98SE clients using MS-VPN access to the internet and the VPN
server?

I am running a PPP dial-on-demand Linux RH 6.2 firewall/router/gateway etc.
If you need more info just ask :-)

BTW,  just to clarify, I am NOT trying to run VPN on the firewall, just
client to internet VPN through my firewall.  My firewall blockes nearly
everything comming in from the net.

Thanks in advance.

James

2. setting ipg > MAXIPG on a filesystem?

3. Problem Connecting to VPN thru a linux Gateway

4. dialup on Redhat

5. Printing thru the VPN using JetDirect

6. Where is my desktop

7. VPN Thru Linux Firewall

8. Multiple System.map symlinks/files ???

9. Windoze 2000 VPN thru RedHat Linux HELP

10. VPN thru Open BSD

11. Win 2K VPN client thru IPSEC Masq...

12. vpn thru linux firewall

13. vpn thru linux firewall?