OpenBSD 3.1: Can't Receive Mail

Post by Andre Gar » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:07:32

Hi,

I just recently upgraded my OpenBSD setup from 3.0 to 3.1.  On either
setup, I could send out email via sendmail but I couldn't receive
email.  My machine is configured as a router/gateway, with two NICs
(one for Internet, the other going to the internal LAN).  I've
installed the imap-uw daemons from ports, and added the proper lines
to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  However, whenever I try to send
mail to my machine, it never gets delivered.  Have I forgotten to add
anything to my setup?  Please help, I am new at this.

Post by Erik » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:19:10

> Hi,
> I just recently upgraded my OpenBSD setup from 3.0 to 3.1.  On either
> setup, I could send out email via sendmail but I couldn't receive
> email.  My machine is configured as a router/gateway, with two NICs
> (one for Internet, the other going to the internal LAN).  I've
> installed the imap-uw daemons from ports, and added the proper lines
> to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  However, whenever I try to send
> mail to my machine, it never gets delivered.  Have I forgotten to add
> anything to my setup?  Please help, I am new at this.

What does netstat -an say? Is sendmail listening and configured to
accept mail?

EJ
--
For OpenBSD pf en nat rule examples: http://www.vanwesten.net

OpenBSD 3.1: Can't Receive Mail

Post by Ted » Wed, 22 May 2002 06:31:39

Quote:> I just recently upgraded my OpenBSD setup from 3.0 to 3.1.  On either
> setup, I could send out email via sendmail but I couldn't receive
> email.  My machine is configured as a router/gateway, with two NICs
> (one for Internet, the other going to the internal LAN).  I've
> installed the imap-uw daemons from ports, and added the proper lines
> to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  However, whenever I try to send
> mail to my machine, it never gets delivered.  Have I forgotten to add
> anything to my setup?  Please help, I am new at this.

edit rc.conf to make sure sendmail is being started.
you want something like this:
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m"

--
If you ever would give them a helping hand,
You can be sure they'll chop off the arm.

Post by Pepp » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:46:37

Quote:> I just recently upgraded my OpenBSD setup from 3.0 to 3.1.  On either
> setup, I could send out email via sendmail but I couldn't receive
> email.  My machine is configured as a router/gateway, with two NICs
> (one for Internet, the other going to the internal LAN).  I've
> installed the imap-uw daemons from ports, and added the proper lines
> to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  However, whenever I try to send
> mail to my machine, it never gets delivered.  Have I forgotten to add
> anything to my setup?  Please help, I am new at this.

Wild guess: Did you unpack etc31.tgz over your previous setup? If so,
your old settings mught be hosed.

--
                                      "Before you criticize someone, walk
Preben "Peppe" Guldberg  __/-\__       a mile in his shoes. That way, if

----------------------oOOo (_) oOOo--  - and barefoot."    --Sarah Jackson

OpenBSD 3.1: Can't Receive Mail

Post by Ian Linwoo » Wed, 22 May 2002 06:59:38

Quote:>Hi,

>I just recently upgraded my OpenBSD setup from 3.0 to 3.1.  On either
>setup, I could send out email via sendmail but I couldn't receive
>email.  My machine is configured as a router/gateway, with two NICs
>(one for Internet, the other going to the internal LAN).  I've
>installed the imap-uw daemons from ports, and added the proper lines
>to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.  However, whenever I try to send
>mail to my machine, it never gets delivered.  Have I forgotten to add
>anything to my setup?  Please help, I am new at this.

in /etc/rc.conf
---------------

sendmail_flags=no       # for normal use: "-bd -q30m"

should be;

sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

Post by Randal L. Schwar » Wed, 22 May 2002 10:38:10

Ian> in /etc/rc.conf
Ian> ---------------

Ian> sendmail_flags=no       # for normal use: "-bd -q30m"

Ian> should be;

Ian> sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

Except of course, you should do that in /etc/rc.conf.local
so that it doesn't get overwritten when you upgrade.  Hint hint.

1. Mail on OpenBSD 3.1

Hello,

I had a look at the logfiles on my OpenBSD 3.1 i386 firewall box and
just saw quite a lot of the following in /var/log/maillog:

Oct 20 22:00:01 hostname sm-msp-queue[26605]: g9GNV4Cs023111: to=root,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=3+20:28:57, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=16680048, relay=localhost, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection
refused by localhost

My question now is what do I need to do to get those mail to get
delivered ? I don't want to enable a full blast sendmail installation as
this box is a firewall but just would like local mails be delivered to
root (I suppose these are cron output mails).

Thanks

2. Probably VT switching bug (2.1-R)

3. OpenBSD 3.1 cvs checkout doesn't compile SSL

4. IPC Question

5. ogle won't run with openbsd 3.1 on i386

6. KXICQ "forgets" user settings

7. sendmail can't receive from cc:mail & ms-mail

8. ???---Script for Winsock via null-modem to linux box---???

9. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

10. Can't receive mail from my ISP's domain.

11. TCPIP receive problem on Montavista 3.1

12. Help with OpenBSD 3.1 crashes (/var/crash/ files included)

13. Dual Boot Openbsd 3.1 and NetBSD 1.6