postgresql crashes

Post by yalu » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:29:53

Hello,

I set up an openbsd system to fiddle with and to run postgresql on it (to
learn sql etc). This is on a sparc station 2. BUT this happens when I
install it. I use binary packages, since compiling is way too slow on this
thing.

pkg_add $PKG_PATH/postgresql-7.1.3-odbc.tgz
read /usr/local/share/doc/postgresql/Readme.OpenBSD

then, neatly, according to instructions:

Quote:>                 -s /bin/sh postgresql

$ mkdir /var/postgresql/data
$ initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgresql".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /var/postgresql/data
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/base
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/global
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /var/postgresql/data/base/1
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-09-15 14:14:37 CEST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 8)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 8); Undo record at (0, 8); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
DEBUG:  database system is in production state

Creating global relations in /var/postgresql/data/global
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-09-15 14:15:54 CEST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 112)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 112); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 17199
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
Initializing pg_shadow.
Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating system views.

Setting lastsysoid.
Vacuuming database.
Copying template1 to template0.
Memory fault (core dumped)

initdb failed.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.8894.

Uhm... anyone who runs postgresql? On a sparc preferably?

--
mail: frankpuntvandammebijstudent-kuleuven-ac-belgie
homepage:       www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9917684

postgresql crashes

Post by Syn » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 05:13:44

> Uhm... anyone who runs postgresql? On a sparc preferably?

Running PostgreSQL on a SPARCstation 5 with OpenBSD 3.0. Your debugging message is
quite clear, get more memory.

Regards

postgresql crashes

Post by yalu » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 05:17:06

> Running PostgreSQL on a SPARCstation 5 with OpenBSD 3.0. Your debugging message is
> quite clear, get more memory.

Hm, that's not what it says ;-) but anyway, how much mem do you have? I
have 64 megs.

--

Post by yalu » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 05:35:54

> Hm, that's not what it says ;-) but anyway, how much mem do you have? I
> have 64 megs.

(P.S. free mem goes from 41 to 39 mem while issuing the above commands)

--

Post by Syn » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:19:59

> Hm, that's not what it says ;-) but anyway, how much mem do you have? I
> have 64 megs.

Well the message "Memory fault (core dumped)" seems to be something wrong with the
memory and I already saw this message dissapear with more RAM. I've got 256 MB of ram
on that box.

Regards