again:¨WARNING¨ message at boot

Post by Huub » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:49:57

Hi,

Despite numerous attempts I'm still getting this message at boot:

WARNING: preposterous time in file system
WARNING: file system time clock much less than clock time

Apart from this message, it appears that, compared to the BIOS time, the
time at boot> always runs 24 hrs ahead. When I boot with a RedHatLinux
bootfloppy, time is ok. What's going on? When I followed the directions
given by Uwe Dippel and Dave Uhring (thanks to you both), the editing of
the system went well; until I had to reboot. Then the boot again stopped
with that WARNING.
I don't want to give up, but I really have no idea what to do. Internet
doesn't give a clue either, apart from telling me I'm not the first
encoutering this.

Thanks

Huub

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:59:03

> Hi,

> Despite numerous attempts I'm still getting this message at boot:

> WARNING: preposterous time in file system
> WARNING: file system time clock much less than clock time

> Apart from this message, it appears that, compared to the BIOS time, the
> time at boot> always runs 24 hrs ahead.

Which time server did you choose and place in /etc/rc.conf and
/etc/ntp.conf?

Those available for NL are:

ntp1.theinternetone.net
ntp2.theinternetone.net
ntp3.theinternetone.net

Get your system booted to login.  Log in as root and execute

# /usr/local/sbin/ntpdate ntp1.theinternetone.net

Does that correct your system time?

again:¨WARNING¨ message at boot

Post by Huub » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:39:26

Quote:> Which time server did you choose and place in /etc/rc.conf and
> /etc/ntp.conf?

> Those available for NL are:

> ntp1.theinternetone.net
> ntp2.theinternetone.net
> ntp3.theinternetone.net

Not one of these. Apparantly I chose from the wrong list.
Quote:

> Get your system booted to login.  Log in as root and execute

> # /usr/local/sbin/ntpdate ntp1.theinternetone.net

> Does that correct your system time?

I haven't been able to login at all anymore. Got that warning over and
over again, no matter what I did and tried. Almost coming to the point
of giving up, I somehow got through and now I'm installing from scratch
again.
Thank you for these comments.

1. Odd warning messages: [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

I'm seeing hundreds of warnings in my Apache error_log that are baffling
me -- for example:

    [Thu Nov 29 00:29:56 2001] [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt:
(TCP_NODELAY)

What would be the cause of these messages?  Initially, I saw about 1-2 per
minute, and didn't see these before when we used Apache without mod_ssl.
Now, it is occurring with more frequency.

We use Apache 1.3.22 with: JServ 1.1.2, mod_ssl 2.8.5, OpenSSL 0.9.6b -- on
a Solaris 8 box.

Thanks,
Ross

2. Inkjet printer suggestions wanted

3. Warning message when booting

4. NFS3

5. AHA-1742A warning message on Unixware 2.x boot - huh?

6. How many sites on a Sparc 5

7. Boot up warning message

8. proxy and tomcat

9. boot error message - WARNING: add_spec: No major number for sf

10. Warning Messages during boot process/Modules

11. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

12. WARNING message in /usr/adm/messages file

13. warning messages in /var/adm/messages