Network design question.

Post by carloswydle » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:00:17

Hi,

It seems you are an expert on networks.

I want to build a WEB server from home. Right now I have a PC with XP
connected to a DSL conection.

What do I need to buy to make that PC a web server and offer domains to
friends? Also creat my own domain with my own web pages.

Thanks

Network design question.

Post by FM » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:00:57

| Hi,
|
| It seems you are an expert on networks.
|
| I want to build a WEB server from home. Right now I have a PC with XP
| connected to a DSL conection.
|
| What do I need to buy to make that PC a web server and offer domains to
| friends? Also creat my own domain with my own web pages.
|
| Thanks
|
| --

This is an OpenBSD related newsgroup. I suggest you mail

-FM

1. Network design question.

I am looking on some thoughts from you all on a network design question.

Lets say I have 3 sites all connected together like a triangle via fiber
(figure Cisco routers). At each site there is also an internet
connection on another Cisco router. I am running BGP to the net at each
site under the same AS. Everything is great because if one internet
connection goes down it routes to the other. Yah BGP!

Now the issue.

I need to bring the 3 site internal, ie 10.1.x.x, 10.2.x.x, 10.3.x.x.
Great. Put in an OpenBSD firewall between the internet and the LAN.
However I now loose my BGP failover for outbound and inbound traffic if
one of the sites goes down. What I mean is this..

(site1): internet---router---firewall---lan---router to site2 and site3

(site2): internet---router---firewall---lan---router to site1 and site3

(site3): internet---router---firewall---lan---router to site1 and site2

Draw it out as a triangle if it helps to see it.

On each site the default gateway is the firewall. If the router goes
down to the internet at that site there is no way to get the traffic to
out that firewall.

So thoughts?

Here is what I have so far.

1. Run iBGP between the external and internal routers through the
OpenBSD firewall. I have NAT issues then with in bound packets. The
biggest issues is how do I tell OpenBSD that the internet router is down
. GateD?

2. Write a script that pings the serial interface on the internet router
from the OpenBSD box. If the ping fails then change the default gw on
the box to the internal ethernet on the OpenBSD box at the next site
(would have to hard code the route to the next site on the OpenBSD box).
My question on this is where does the NAT fall into place. Will the
packet head back off the OpenBSD box to the internal router before it
gets NAT'ed if I change the default route?

2. Running X with ATI Ultra?

3. DNS, firewall/network design question

4. How to see your Log File?

5. Network Design questions

6. statistics for this mailinglist

7. A Network design question...

8. in.telnetd

9. Network application design question

10. hardware design or digital design

11. Chip Design on Linux with the OCEAN IC design system

12. Network application design