Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an OpenBSD box ?

Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an OpenBSD box ?

Post by Cedr » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:17:45

hello all,

I currently have a version of ssh on my OpenBSD box that came with the
default OpenBSD 2.8 installation. Suppose I want to upgrade this
version cause they're is a newer one out.

I understand there are packages which are precompiled and they
installed through pak-add etc. But I have been on the packages folder
of an OpenBSD fpt site but there was no mention of ssh. And I need a
newer version than the one installed (cause my Linux box has a newer
version and this seems to create problems)

 Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an
OpenBSD box ? Can I take programs from Linux and compile them on
OpenBSD ?

Thanks in advance,

Post by Harry Pehkone » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:40:28

> hello all,

> I currently have a version of ssh on my OpenBSD box that came with the
> default OpenBSD 2.8 installation. Suppose I want to upgrade this
> version cause they're is a newer one out.

The quick and *clean* (not dirty) answer is:

        Upgrade to OpenBSD 2.9

Sorry.  I'm sure you saw that one coming.  Personally, I wouldn't even
bother attempting to  install a 2.9 package under  2.8.  There may (?)
be some library issues.

Quote:

> I understand there are packages which are precompiled and they
> installed through pak-add etc. But I have been on the packages folder
> of an OpenBSD fpt site but there was no mention of ssh. And I need a
> newer version than the one installed (cause my Linux box has a newer
> version and this seems to create problems)

I suppose ssh is one  of the default programs.  Therefore you wouldn't
find it in the packages nor ports.  Same as, say, ``sudo.''

Quote:

>  Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an
> OpenBSD box ? Can I take programs from Linux and compile them on
> OpenBSD ?

Yes.   You can  go into  your  /usr/ports tree,  find the  appropriate
program, and  go through  the ``make &&  make install''  routine.  But
this procedure  basically creates a fresh *package*  by compiling, and
then installs the package (from what I've noticed).

Also, if you find a program  that probably runs on OpenBSD, but wasn't
``ported'' (such as  PySol, a solitaire game written  in Python, or, I
guess any program that  doesn't dynamically require libraries that you
don't have (I  don't know what I'm talking about yet,  but will in the
near future)), you should be able  to compile it if required, and then
manually  install  it  where  needed  (/usr/local/bin  or  ~/bin  seem
appropriate to me).

Some programs  use subdirectories is such  a way that  (and I'm hoping
for confirmation  from others here in  the newsgroup) you  may want to
create  a script  that  executes the  program  that you  want.  As  an
example, if I was to install  PySol in /usr/games, I'd get a directory
called /usr/games/pysol-4.72.  Then, if I  wanted to run the game, I'd
have  to  type in  /usr/games/pysol-4.72/pysol.   I  think I'd  rather
create a script like this:

        #!/bin/sh
        cd /usr/games/pysol-4.72
        ./pysol

...and  save   it  as  /usr/games/pysol   as  well  as do:

        ``chmod 0755 /usr/games/pysol''

Compiling linux  binaries?  You betcha (apparently).   They either run
as-is,  have statically  linked  binaries (at  compile  time), or  are
installed  as per compat_linux  (8) with  the appropriate  linux stuff
installed on your system.

So, in short:  Strongly consider installing OpenBSD 2.9.

Quote:

--

Thanks!
Harry.

Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an OpenBSD box ?

Post by Marc Esp » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 01:36:02

Quote:>create  a script  that  executes the  program  that you  want.  As  an
>example, if I was to install  PySol in /usr/games, I'd get a directory
>called /usr/games/pysol-4.72.  Then, if I  wanted to run the game, I'd
>have  to  type in  /usr/games/pysol-4.72/pysol.   I  think I'd  rather
>create a script like this:

>    #!/bin/sh
>    cd /usr/games/pysol-4.72
>    ./pysol

Apart from the fundamental brokenness of such programs, one usually
writes shell-wrappers like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/games/pysol-4.72

so that you don't get extra processes and get a chance to pass options
to the program you want to run.

1. i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

hi linux guru's

 i have installed   .tar.gz type file

for example  anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz

i copied this  file to /opt   then i unziped that file   and extracted
that file using the following  comands

gz -d anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz
tar -xvf anjuta-1.1.97 tar
 then i  chenaged  the directory  to /opt/anjuta-1.1.97

from here i have run ./configure    but i am not able to install   i
got the following errror

checking wheather build envrionment ........ yes
checking wheather sane......... yes
checking wheather make set $[MAKE]..... yes
checking for  aclocal1-1.4..... missing
checkig for autoconfig........missing
checking for automake-1.4 .....missing
checking for makeinfo.........missing

checking for /usr/bin/perl
checking for gcc ...... no
checking for cc ...... no
cheking for cl..... no
configure error: no accptance for  C compiler found in $ PATH

what does it mean   how to install and confiugre

pls guide me

one more quesiotn

i have installed mozill  rpm   that also i am not able to run the
application

i have installed yahoomessenger rpm .  but i dont know how to run the
messenger

is ther any configure have to be done
pls guide me

ravi

2. firewalls

3. How to find which version of a program is installed on an OpenBSD box ?

4. PATCH 2.5.2-pre9 scsi cleanup

5. The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

6. RH 7.2 on Dimension 4400

7. Installing NetBSD package on Openbsd with pkg_add ???

8. broken pipe - xdm

9. i am getting the following error while installing LRP onto Hard disk?

10. Has anyone gotten OpenBSD installed onto a Flash Memory card?

11. Need ways to find street prices of Unix boxes

12. Best ways to increase the security of my linux box

13. Ways to keep my Debian box updated over dial-up (3 KB/sec)?