PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by Marc Bigle » Wed, 16 May 2001 13:54:11



Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (the package wich comes on the OpenBSD 2.8
CD) and I saw on the FTP site on openbsd.org that there is PostgreSQL
7.1 available but as a distfile (in the distfiles/ directory). I would
like to install PostgreSQL 7.1 onto my OpenBSD 2.8 machine, does anybody
know how I can do that ? Sorry I don't know what is exactly a distfile.
I don't want to download the latest version from postgresql.org I would
prefere the use a package/distfile from OpenBSD as it is simplier and
quicker to install but can you explain me how ?

Many thanks !

Regards,
Marc

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by Ulf Sundi » Wed, 16 May 2001 20:47:32


I don't know about the port, but downloading the source and compiling it
yourself really isnt that difficult... just configure;make;make install
(with gnumake) easy as 1,2,3

Ulf



Quote:> Hello,

> I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (the package wich comes on the OpenBSD 2.8
> CD) and I saw on the FTP site on openbsd.org that there is PostgreSQL
> 7.1 available but as a distfile (in the distfiles/ directory). I would
> like to install PostgreSQL 7.1 onto my OpenBSD 2.8 machine, does anybody
> know how I can do that ? Sorry I don't know what is exactly a distfile.
> I don't want to download the latest version from postgresql.org I would
> prefere the use a package/distfile from OpenBSD as it is simplier and
> quicker to install but can you explain me how ?

> Many thanks !

> Regards,
> Marc


 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by nobod » Wed, 16 May 2001 22:29:58


You could wait a week, upgrade to 2.9 and grab 7.1 from the packages.
You also could try grabbing it from the current ports tree and
installing (although the ports are tracking 2.9 at this point so this
*may* not work).  Unless you MUST upgrade now for some reason, I'd take
the first route ..

> Hello,

> I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (the package wich comes on the OpenBSD 2.8
> CD) and I saw on the FTP site on openbsd.org that there is PostgreSQL
> 7.1 available but as a distfile (in the distfiles/ directory). I would
> like to install PostgreSQL 7.1 onto my OpenBSD 2.8 machine, does anybody
> know how I can do that ? Sorry I don't know what is exactly a distfile.
> I don't want to download the latest version from postgresql.org I would
> prefere the use a package/distfile from OpenBSD as it is simplier and
> quicker to install but can you explain me how ?

> Many thanks !

> Regards,
> Marc

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by Marc Bigle » Thu, 17 May 2001 05:19:14


Quote:> You could wait a week, upgrade to 2.9 and grab 7.1 from the packages.
> You also could try grabbing it from the current ports tree and
> installing (although the ports are tracking 2.9 at this point so this
> *may* not work).  Unless you MUST upgrade now for some reason, I'd take
> the first route ..

How can I grab it from the current ports tree ?

Regards,
Marc

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by nobod » Thu, 17 May 2001 07:14:51



> > You could wait a week, upgrade to 2.9 and grab 7.1 from the packages.
> > You also could try grabbing it from the current ports tree and
> > installing (although the ports are tracking 2.9 at this point so this
> > *may* not work).  Unless you MUST upgrade now for some reason, I'd take
> > the first route ..

> How can I grab it from the current ports tree ?

> Regards,
> Marc

The best answer: Check out www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html

Off the cuff answer: (This is off the top of my head, so I've made a
mistake or if you have trouble ... it isn't my fault. I'm assuming you
already have and older version of the ports tree installed)

Assume root and type:

setenv CVS_RSH /usr/bin/ssh

cd /usr/ports/infrastructure
cp -R mk mk.old
cd mk
cvs up
cd /usr/ports/databases
cp -R postgresql postgresql.old
cd postgresql
cvs up

Then make/make install the package as usual.  Good luck.

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by bpalme » Wed, 23 May 2001 00:46:45



> Hello,

> I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (the package wich comes on the OpenBSD 2.8
> CD) and I saw on the FTP site on openbsd.org that there is PostgreSQL
> 7.1 available but as a distfile (in the distfiles/ directory). I would
> like to install PostgreSQL 7.1 onto my OpenBSD 2.8 machine, does anybody
> know how I can do that ? Sorry I don't know what is exactly a distfile.
> I don't want to download the latest version from postgresql.org I would
> prefere the use a package/distfile from OpenBSD as it is simplier and
> quicker to install but can you explain me how ?

I have the 7.1 packages built for OBSD.  They are built for 2.9,  but
should still work w/ 2.8.  I also have the 7.1.1 packages which I will put
up on the site RSN.

- brandon

(obsd-postgresql port maintainer)

--


pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by bpalme » Wed, 23 May 2001 01:03:08



> I have the 7.1 packages built for OBSD.  They are built for 2.9,  but
> should still work w/ 2.8.  I also have the 7.1.1 packages which I will put
> up on the site RSN.

Oops:

http://www.crimelabs.net/postgresql.shtml

- b

--


pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

 
 
 

PostgreSQL port for OpenBSD 2.8

Post by Marc Bigle » Fri, 25 May 2001 05:29:58


Thanks mate !

Marc



> > I have the 7.1 packages built for OBSD.  They are built for 2.9,  but
> > should still work w/ 2.8.  I also have the 7.1.1 packages which I will put
> > up on the site RSN.

> Oops:

> http://www.crimelabs.net/postgresql.shtml

> - b

> --


> pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5