Looking for an X-based visual ppp traffic meter

Looking for an X-based visual ppp traffic meter

Post by Charles Rote » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I need something like pppload used to be under Linux, before it
ceased being maintained, or like GkrellM or procmeter are today.

In other words, an "xload" workalike for the packets passing through
my external modem's serial port .. or my DSL line, if the idiots at
US Waste ever get the lead out of their worthless butts and establish
an exchange close enough to my residence to provision it ...

OpenBSD 2.5's ppp works just fine.  I reworked my old Linux
chatscripts, and they work like a charm.  But my _abominable_ local
RBOC has lines which can be as flaky as breakfast cereal.  Hence, I
need to _monitor_ traffic flow over the line.  That way, I'll know
when to tear down the link and rebuild it.

Can't locate anything in the 'packages' directory on the canonical
site, or my CDROM.  The "ports" collection comes up empty.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
--

(Charles D. Roten)

Post by Charles Rote » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >I need something like pppload used to be under Linux, before it
> >ceased being maintained, or like GkrellM or procmeter are today.

> >In other words, an "xload" workalike for the packets passing through
> >my external modem's serial port .. or my DSL line, if the idiots at
> >US Waste ever get the lead out of their worthless butts and establish
> >an exchange close enough to my residence to provision it ...

> >OpenBSD 2.5's ppp works just fine.  I reworked my old Linux
> >chatscripts, and they work like a charm.  But my _abominable_ local
> >RBOC has lines which can be as flaky as breakfast cereal.  Hence, I
> >need to _monitor_ traffic flow over the line.  That way, I'll know
> >when to tear down the link and rebuild it.

> >Can't locate anything in the 'packages' directory on the canonical
> >site, or my CDROM.  The "ports" collection comes up empty.

> >Thanks in advance,
> >Charles
> >--

> >(Charles D. Roten)

Quote:> I use xnetload.

  ^^^^^^????????

Huh ??

I quote from the xnetload homepage, at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/software/ (emphasis that of the page's author)

"It _requires_ the /proc file system, or rather /proc/net/dev or
 /proc/net/ip_acct which are only found in Linux. So this program
 is Linux specific. "

                                                  >vvvvvvvvv<
_How_ does this even compile, let alone _run_, on >_OpenBSD_< ???

--

(Charles D. Roten)

Looking for an X-based visual ppp traffic meter

Post by M » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On 04 Nov 1999 00:09:44 -0800, Charles Roten

>I need something like pppload used to be under Linux, before it
>ceased being maintained, or like GkrellM or procmeter are today.

>In other words, an "xload" workalike for the packets passing through
>my external modem's serial port .. or my DSL line, if the idiots at
>US Waste ever get the lead out of their worthless butts and establish
>an exchange close enough to my residence to provision it ...

>OpenBSD 2.5's ppp works just fine.  I reworked my old Linux
>chatscripts, and they work like a charm.  But my _abominable_ local
>RBOC has lines which can be as flaky as breakfast cereal.  Hence, I
>need to _monitor_ traffic flow over the line.  That way, I'll know
>when to tear down the link and rebuild it.

>Can't locate anything in the 'packages' directory on the canonical
>site, or my CDROM.  The "ports" collection comes up empty.

>Thanks in advance,
>Charles
>--

>(Charles D. Roten)

I use xnetload.

joe

Linux should be developed for it's own sake.  We should stop worrying about
what goes on in our neighbors house and tend to our own affairs.--self quoted
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html  similar idea
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January1998/article10.html competition

Looking for an X-based visual ppp traffic meter

Post by M » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> I use xnetload.
>  ^^^^^^????????

>Huh ??

>I quote from the xnetload homepage, at
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/software/ (emphasis that of the page's author)

>"It _requires_ the /proc file system, or rather /proc/net/dev or
> /proc/net/ip_acct which are only found in Linux. So this program
> is Linux specific. "

>                                                  >vvvvvvvvv<
>_How_ does this even compile, let alone _run_, on >_OpenBSD_< ???
>                                                  >^^^^^^^^^<

>--

>(Charles D. Roten)

Ok, you got me, bad linux user trying to foul up your openBSD
system/group.  I will scurry on over whence I came:)
Alright I assumed that X programs were X programs.  Now I understand
all this hoopl of bsd vs linus.  Does openbsd have something like the
ports collection on freebsd?  Might be a good place to look for
software that does compile.
You really have no proc huh?
Ouch!

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>all this hoopl of bsd vs linus.  Does openbsd have something like the
>ports collection on freebsd?  Might be a good place to look for

Yes it does. But OpenBSD's ports collection is still somewhat smaller
than FreeBSD's

--
Donovan