linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Darren Wyn Ree » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 07:35:54

[ added comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, removed some other groups ]

Quote:>  i tried redhat5.2 thats cool, it runs like lightning on my old p166, corel
> well thats just windows with a linux frint end, if you catch my drift... but
> whats about openBSD, what is openBSD?

OpenBSD is another free UNIX-like operating system.

OpenBSD is NOT another Linux distro.

If you are new to UNIX-like systems, Linux would be a better choice
(because Linux is more user friendly, because Linux is an
exceptionally  well documented system,  eg. http://www.linuxdoc.org/
etc).

http://www.openbsd.org/

Quote:>  I've also heard an awful lot about slackware, and the debian distros... are
> the nice distros? or ...? anyone fill me in?

Do you prefer tea or coffee ?  Do you drive Ford or GM ?

Linux distributions are a matter of personal preference.  Why not
test drive several of them, and see what suits you personally.

--

ASK your ISP to ADD the NEW england.* Newsgroups
http://www.england.news-admin.org/accessfaq.html

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Charlie Brow » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:52:46

Quote:> OpenBSD is another free UNIX-like operating system.

> OpenBSD is NOT another Linux distro.

> If you are new to UNIX-like systems, Linux would be a better choice
> (because Linux is more user friendly, because Linux is an
> exceptionally  well documented system,  eg. http://www.linuxdoc.org/
> etc).

when i was pretty new (not very long ago)
i tried suse, redhat, peanut linux, debian i wanted to, but couldn't even
understand the whole installation process, also i had mandrake.
i would say go with openbsd, as a newbie or a more advanced user.
linux might be a little more documented, but as far as i've seen,
openbsd is easier to use.

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Charlie Brow » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:57:35

Quote:> > OpenBSD is another free UNIX-like operating system.

> > OpenBSD is NOT another Linux distro.

> > If you are new to UNIX-like systems, Linux would be a better choice
> > (because Linux is more user friendly, because Linux is an
> > exceptionally  well documented system,  eg. http://www.linuxdoc.org/
> > etc).

> when i was pretty new (not very long ago)
> i tried suse, redhat, peanut linux, debian i wanted to, but couldn't even
> understand the whole installation process, also i had mandrake.
> i would say go with openbsd, as a newbie or a more advanced user.
> linux might be a little more documented, but as far as i've seen,
> openbsd is easier to use.

my only complaint is from a religious standpoint...
i've always had it against the bsd's using the devil
as the logo..
penguins are a bit more kosher
(although the disney characters which debian uses
 to name their builds with are worse to me than devils..
 but i won't go into that here*).

*except to say i have recurring dreams about disneyworld
  something to do with Daniel 7:5

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by EM » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:18:17

like the song says,  ...here's a quarter, call someone who cares...

keep your private life out of the group.

> > > OpenBSD is another free UNIX-like operating system.

> > > OpenBSD is NOT another Linux distro.

> > > If you are new to UNIX-like systems, Linux would be a better choice
> > > (because Linux is more user friendly, because Linux is an
> > > exceptionally  well documented system,  eg. http://www.linuxdoc.org/
> > > etc).

> > when i was pretty new (not very long ago)
> > i tried suse, redhat, peanut linux, debian i wanted to, but couldn't even
> > understand the whole installation process, also i had mandrake.
> > i would say go with openbsd, as a newbie or a more advanced user.
> > linux might be a little more documented, but as far as i've seen,
> > openbsd is easier to use.

> my only complaint is from a religious standpoint...
> i've always had it against the bsd's using the devil
> as the logo..
> penguins are a bit more kosher
> (although the disney characters which debian uses
>  to name their builds with are worse to me than devils..
>  but i won't go into that here*).

> *except to say i have recurring dreams about disneyworld
>   something to do with Daniel 7:5

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Christopher W. Aik » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:38:30

<SNIP>

->my only complaint is from a religious standpoint...
->i've always had it against the bsd's using the devil
->as the logo..
->penguins are a bit more kosher
->(although the disney characters which debian uses
-> to name their builds with are worse to me than devils..
-> but i won't go into that here*).
->

FreeBSD uses the cute little "Devil Daemon".  OpenBSD
uses some sort of "Puffer Fish:.

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA

linux distros... and openBSD...

Please keep you Christan junk out of this group!!!

Post by anon » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 00:59:02

> Please keep you Christan junk out of this group!!!

Besides ... Chucky is a Daemon, not a devil or demon -- an outwardly
similar but otherwise completely different critter, so you can relax ...
Quote:

Post by Charlie Brow » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 02:48:15

> <SNIP>

> ->my only complaint is from a religious standpoint...
> ->i've always had it against the bsd's using the devil
> ->as the logo..
> ->penguins are a bit more kosher
> ->(although the disney characters which debian uses
> -> to name their builds with are worse to me than devils..
> -> but i won't go into that here*).
> ->

> FreeBSD uses the cute little "Devil Daemon".  OpenBSD
> uses some sort of "Puffer Fish:.

> --
> ---
> Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
> chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com
> Current O/S: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2_r2

yeh, but the devil drives the fish...
at least on the 2.7 cd i bought.

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Charlie Brow » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 05:41:03

> like the song says,  ...here's a quarter, call someone who cares...

> keep your private life out of the group.

will do chief.

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by Charlie Brow » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:14:24

> Please keep you Christan junk out of this group!!!

say please.
or is it cheese? chucky.
yucky.

linux distros... and openBSD...

Post by meepmee » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:08:45

Why should Christian views not be expressed here?  Would it be any better if
he said that he personally disliked the devil/daemon logo?

Post by Andy Boot » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:54:28

> > <SNIP>

> > ->my only complaint is from a religious standpoint...
> > ->i've always had it against the bsd's using the devil
> > ->as the logo..
> > ->penguins are a bit more kosher
> > ->(although the disney characters which debian uses
> > -> to name their builds with are worse to me than devils..
> > -> but i won't go into that here*).
> > ->

> > FreeBSD uses the cute little "Devil Daemon".  OpenBSD
> > uses some sort of "Puffer Fish:.

> > --
> > ---
> > Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
> > chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com
> > Current O/S: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2_r2

> yeh, but the devil drives the fish...
> at least on the 2.7 cd i bought.

 It's not a devil, it's a daemon, as in a background process like ftpd, and
anyway in greek mythology they could be good as well as evil, I think the
*BSD developers were thinking of the good variety ..at least i hope.