Installing OpenBSD 3.3 question

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:59:21

Hi,

I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if so,
what's a possible ftp address to do so? I used an ftp address nearby,
but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386 directory.

Thanks

Huub

Post by Rene Schrader-Boelsch » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:10:23

> Hi,

> I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if so,
> what's a possible ftp address to do so? I used an ftp address nearby,
> but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386 directory.

Hi,

boot from Disk and follow the instructions. You will be asked from where
to get the packages (CD-Rom, ftp, etc). After this you will be asked to
choose a ftp-mirror. Thats all...

cheers
Rene

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:47:44

>> Hi,

>> I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if
>> so, what's a possible ftp address to do so? I used an ftp address
>> nearby, but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386
>> directory.

> Hi,

> boot from Disk and follow the instructions. You will be asked from where
> to get the packages (CD-Rom, ftp, etc). After this you will be asked to
> choose a ftp-mirror. Thats all...

> cheers
> Rene

I tried to do that, but it tells me 'invalid url'. Since the url I want
to use is: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/OpenBSD , how should I type it in?
After I typed it in, it inserted 3 more ftp:// in front of it, and
therefore going wrong and not able to find anything.

BTW, after rebooting the system is gives this:

WARNING: preposterous time in file system
WARNING: file system time much less than clock time

and it refuses to do anything further.

Post by Huub » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:18:34

>>> Hi,

>>> I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if
>>> so, what's a possible ftp address to do so? I used an ftp address
>>> nearby, but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386
>>> directory.

>> Hi,

>> boot from Disk and follow the instructions. You will be asked from
>> where to get the packages (CD-Rom, ftp, etc). After this you will be
>> asked to choose a ftp-mirror. Thats all...

>> cheers
>> Rene

> I tried to do that, but it tells me 'invalid url'. Since the url I want
> to use is: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/OpenBSD , how should I type it in?
> After I typed it in, it inserted 3 more ftp:// in front of it, and
> therefore going wrong and not able to find anything.

> BTW, after rebooting the system is gives this:

> WARNING: preposterous time in file system
> WARNING: file system time much less than clock time

> and it refuses to do anything further.

OK, solved the warnings problem

Installing OpenBSD 3.3 question

Post by Maik Kundi » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:02:32

Hello,

Huub schrieb:

Quote:> I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if so,
> what's a possible ftp address to do so?

You get a list when you install, just say yes, when the install programm
ask for a list of possible ftp servers.

Quote:> I used an ftp address nearby,
> but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386 directory.

Which other packages you need?  For an ohter machine?

see, if there at:
   ftp.openbsd.org

but normaly the ftp should have all needet files...

Maik

Installing OpenBSD 3.3 question

Post by Maik Kundi » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:04:25

Hello,

Huub schrieb:

Quote:> I like to install BSD by ftp from internet. Is this possible and if so,
> what's a possible ftp address to do so?

You get a list when you install, just say yes, when the install programm
ask for a list of possible ftp servers.

Quote:> I used an ftp address nearby,
> but it contained only the packages as stated in the i386 directory.

Which other packages you need?  For an ohter machine?

see, if there at:
   ftp.openbsd.org

but normaly the ftp should have all needet files...

Maik

Installing OpenBSD 3.3 question

Post by fatca » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:51:39

how can i install a openbsd system through a pppoe connect,how can i dail
before i have a basic system installed.i cant dail so that i cant connect
with the net,and i cant insatll openbsd too

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:45:08

> how can i install a openbsd system through a pppoe connect,how can i dail
> before i have a basic system installed.i cant dail so that i cant connect
> with the net,and i cant insatll openbsd too

Download the kernel and install sets to a machine which can act as a FTP
server.