i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Rene Lan » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:42:05

hi.

Is it possible to write some telephone numbers into a file, so that the
logfile /var/log/isdnd contains the names, not the numbers?

regards

i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Tijs » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:44:10

Yes... it's done like this:

$vi /var/log/isdnd
name1
name2
name3
etc.
ESC
:wq

and you have a file that contains names, not numbers...

Okay, just kidding, maybe if you could give us a little more informatie you
get serious answers.

Grtz,

Tijs

Quote:> hi.

> Is it possible to write some telephone numbers into a file, so that the
> logfile /var/log/isdnd contains the names, not the numbers?

> regards

i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Rene Lan » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:12:36

> Okay, just kidding, maybe if you could give us a little more informatie you
> get serious answers.

Ok. At the moment the logfile looks like this (/var/log/isdnd/):
date host isdnd CHD 00101 <unknown> incoming call from 173635243 to 108150

And I want it to look like this:
date host isdnd CHD 00101 <unknown> incoming call from NameOfCaller to 108150

(how) can I realize this?

i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Tijs » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:35:05

Maybe a cronjob every 5 minutes that replaces certain phonenumbers it gets
from another file with names in that file...?

Tijs

> > Okay, just kidding, maybe if you could give us a little more informatie
you
> > get serious answers.

> Ok. At the moment the logfile looks like this (/var/log/isdnd/):
> date host isdnd CHD 00101 <unknown> incoming call from 173635243 to 108150

> And I want it to look like this:
> date host isdnd CHD 00101 <unknown> incoming call from NameOfCaller to
108150

> (how) can I realize this?

i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Jan-Uwe Fin » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:19:32

>hi.

>Is it possible to write some telephone numbers into a file, so that the
>logfile /var/log/isdnd contains the names, not the numbers?

I'd have a look at the FreeBSD-ISDN mailinglist archive, which is the
best forum for this kind of question..

--
Greetings,
        Jan-Uwe

i4b log 'reverse lookup'

Post by Rene Lan » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:04:50

Quote:> I'd have a look at the FreeBSD-ISDN mailinglist archive, which is the
> best forum for this kind of question..

I also asked the question there and got an answer :) It is possible
with the "aliases" option. Thanks anyway ;)

1. Reverse name lookup by 'who'

If we do a "who" command, we find that some users show up with their
hostname filled in symbolically, and others with just their ip numbers.
Reverse name mappings are present for all users.
It seems that the processes that give the desired symbolic response
have process trees such as:

     inetd -> telnetd -> -ksh
     inetd -> rlogind -> -ksh
     inetd -> rshd    -> xterm

while those that give only a numeric response are like this:

     inetd -> xterm   -> -ksh
     inetd -> tcsh    -> kterm

It seems that telnetd/rlogind/rshd are doing something the utmp
that xterm and tcsh are not.  While we have put in patches to
xterm to allow entries in utmp, are there further patches that
would change the operation of who?  Or are there other versions
of who which would do the reverse name lookup if needed?

--

(303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000
                Boulder, CO  80307-3000        NSI/DECNET: 9583::PACK

2. Anyone working on drivers for Hayes ESP II

3. Tweaks to Fractasia's network settings, qmail dns reverse lookup

4. Test

5. Can't get Reverse Lookup Zones to Load!!!!

6. no mp3 sound

7. Don't want reverse lookups on telnet

8. Scaling on e10000

9. Really wierd behavior with apache log file and reverse lookups

10. weird behavior with apache access log file and reverse lookups

11. FTP: logging things other than 'get' and 'put'

12. 'who' doesn't know who's logged in

13. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?