newbie needs help

Post by toor the halberdie » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:24:31

i would like to migrate to openbsd ....
however the sys locks up ...
i tryed diableing drivers useing config, with a small improvment . The
lock ups happen when the sys is taxed and my cable conetion is flaking
out a bit .
All my hardware  on this laptop is listed as compatible, the install disk
(floppyC30.fs) dosen't display this same problem
i would like to know how touse that kernel or configure GENERIC to do the
same (i can't keep the sys up log enuff to compile a custom kernel)
oh netbsd is the same the install kernel works but there laptop kernel
locks up ...
linux works but i am a little tired of there crappy man pages and sys
utilitys that lack continitie so any help to get OpenBSD up and running
would be greatly appretated

newbie needs help

Post by nobod » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:35:48

This sounds a bit familiar.  I had a very similar problem, and
eventually narrowed it down to Realtek-8139 based nic (can't remember
which one off the top of my head. I changed to a completely different
type of ethernet card and all was well -- no amount of kernel
configuration solved the problem. In my case the machine would just
freeze completely. If your problem is similar, and you don't have a
different nic available, you are probably going to have to stick with
Linux.

In my case, FreeBSD didn't work proper with the same NIC either,
although the nic 'seemed' to work with Windows -- Windows crashes are
too numerous and mysterious to easily assign blame to a particular
device, so maybe it didn't work properly with Windows either, who
knows?....

Post by toor the halberdie » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:38:14

> This sounds a bit familiar.  I had a very similar problem, and
> eventually narrowed it down to Realtek-8139 based nic (can't remember
> which one off the top of my head. I changed to a completely different
> type of ethernet card and all was well -- no amount of kernel
> configuration solved the problem. In my case the machine would just
> freeze completely. If your problem is similar, and you don't have a
> different nic available, you are probably going to have to stick with
> Linux.

> In my case, FreeBSD didn't work proper with the same NIC either,
> although the nic 'seemed' to work with Windows -- Windows crashes are
> too numerous and mysterious to easily assign blame to a particular
> device, so maybe it didn't work properly with Windows either, who
> knows?....

>> i would like to migrate to openbsd .... however the sys locks up ...
>> i tryed diableing drivers useing config, with a small improvment . The
>> lock ups happen when the sys is taxed and my cable conetion is flaking
>> out a bit .
>> All my hardware  on this laptop is listed as compatible, the install
>> disk (floppyC30.fs) dosen't display this same problem i would like to
>> know how touse that kernel or configure GENERIC to do the same (i can't
>> keep the sys up log enuff to compile a custom kernel) oh netbsd is the
>> same the install kernel works but there laptop kernel locks up ...
>> linux works but i am a little tired of there crappy man pages and sys
>> utilitys that lack continitie so any help to get OpenBSD up and running
>> would be greatly appretated

thax for the advice ummm one more thing what 10BaseT nic diyou switch to
hehe if it's a new nic i need that's not too much of a problem just don't
want to have to buy like 10 pcmcia nic to find a good one

1. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

We recenly got Linux with Xwindows running on our 486. The CD
worked fine till we got Win****95 on our DOS partition. Now we
cant get our TEAC CD-55 working on our Soundblaster Pro card. I
heard something about a Sound HOW-TO but Sunsite's got major
data loss, so we couldnt find it. Is there anyone out there
that could help us get our CD or soundcard working??

-Thanks
-2 linux newbies

2. Getting Linux to install on my Alpha AS200 4/166

3. Newbie : Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

4. User time limits

5. floppy drive setup (Newbie needs help, help!!)

6. I need an encryption algorithim. Any pointers?

7. HELP! (newbie needs help installing SLS)

8. 5.0.5 Startup Problem

9. Newbie: Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

10. Newbie Needs Help!

11. newbie needs help on installing & getting the trident TGUI9680 drivers

12. Sony17SEII(Newbie needs help!)

13. Newbie, need help with Red Hat 8.0 Package configurer