Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Post by Stephan Holtwisc » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

hi,

is there a possibility to run that soundcard with openbsd (2.5) ?
if yes, which kernel settings ?

Thxs,

Stephan

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Post by Julien Oste » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

    Stephan> hi, is there a possibility to run that soundcard with openbsd
    Stephan> (2.5) ?  if yes, which kernel settings ?

I have the same card!

You can use many, many cards in OpenBSD using the OpenSound driver instead of
the one with ships with OpenBSD. You can find OpenSound at
www.opensound.com, for OpenBSD as well as for many other systems.

Unfortunately, if you look to the "PCI card status" page, you can see that
there is no Soundblaste Live card yet.

The reason is obvious: Most parts for the Soundblaster Live are made from
Ensoniq, which is owned by Creative now. Ensoniq always refused to give _any_
specifications about their hardware, and thus the OpenSound-Crew did not get
them. So now, they are trying to implement a Soundblaster Live driver using
unconvetional methods, such as us analyzers (and _maybe_ reverse engineering,
I don't know what the lawyers say in this case). This takes a lot time and so
we have to wait :(

Just look at the Soundblaster Live status regularly.

--
  /--/ Julien Oster /---/ www.fuzzys.org <---> www.sysadm.cc /---/
 /--/ OpenBSD  2.5 /---/ Greetings  from  Munich,   Germany /---/

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Post by Jason Dow » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>The reason is obvious: Most parts for the Soundblaster Live are made from
>Ensoniq, which is owned by Creative now. Ensoniq always refused to give _any_
>specifications about their hardware, and thus the OpenSound-Crew did not get
>them. So now, they are trying to implement a Soundblaster Live driver using
>unconvetional methods, such as us analyzers (and _maybe_ reverse engineering,
>I don't know what the lawyers say in this case). This takes a lot time and so
>we have to wait :(

What, did you just make all that up, or what?

If you LOOK at a SoundBlaster LIVE card, you will note that it is an
EMU 10000 based device.  It does not use an Ensoniq chipet; in fact, what
you say is utterly false: Ensoniq made information available (hence, the
eap driver), while Creative/EMU does not.  Even then, documentation for the
EMU 10000 is available from Creative if you sign an NDA (which virtually
guarantees that there will never be a freeware driver).  Since OSS does not
release source code, they shouldn't have too much trouble with a Creative
Labs NDA.

PCI cards previous to the LIVE (AudioPCI, SB 64PCI, and I believe SB 128PCI)
were based on 137x Ensoniq chipsets.

The only well supported PCI soundcard under OpenBSD is the Creative/Ensoniq
AudioPCI.  Either use that, or an ISA SB16 compatible.

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Post by Julien Oste » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[...]

    >> analyzers (and _maybe_ reverse engineering, I don't know what the
    >> lawyers say in this case). This takes a lot time and so we have to wait
    >> :(

    Jason> What, did you just make all that up, or what?

No, this is what I have been told.

    Jason> If you LOOK at a SoundBlaster LIVE card, you will note that it is
    Jason> an EMU 10000 based device.  It does not use an Ensoniq chipet; in
    Jason> fact, what you say is utterly false: Ensoniq made information
    Jason> available (hence, the eap driver), while Creative/EMU does not.

If Ensoniq does make Information available, it only does it for very few
things. A friend of mine is reverse engineering a _synthesizer_, since Ensoniq
won't give any information. And he claims that he is also not able to get
information on any other Ensoniq chipset.

I don't know if this policy from Ensoniq has influenced Creative Labs/EMU. If
the EMU 10k uses Ensoniq technology?

    Jason> Even then, documentation for the EMU 10000 is available from
    Jason> Creative if you sign an NDA (which virtually guarantees that there
    Jason> will never be a freeware driver).  Since OSS does not release
    Jason> source code, they shouldn't have too much trouble with a Creative
    Jason> Labs NDA.

Really? If this is true, this is fine. But why does the OSS crew say that they
were awaiting information for the chipset a long time and didn't get any, so
that they're switching to "alternative" driver development, using bus
analyzers and that sort of things? This information comes directly from the
OSS page, why should they lie?

[...]

    Jason> The only well supported PCI soundcard under OpenBSD is the
    Jason> Creative/Ensoniq AudioPCI.  Either use that, or an ISA SB16
    Jason> compatible.

If you don't use OSS, yes.

--
  /--/ Julien Oster /---/ www.fuzzys.org <---> www.sysadm.cc /---/
 /--/ OpenBSD  2.5 /---/ Greetings  from  Munich,   Germany /---/

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live & OpenBSD

Post by Jason Dow » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    Jason> If you LOOK at a SoundBlaster LIVE card, you will note that it is
>    Jason> an EMU 10000 based device.  It does not use an Ensoniq chipet; in
>    Jason> fact, what you say is utterly false: Ensoniq made information
>    Jason> available (hence, the eap driver), while Creative/EMU does not.

>If Ensoniq does make Information available, it only does it for very few
>things. A friend of mine is reverse engineering a _synthesizer_, since Ensoniq
>won't give any information. And he claims that he is also not able to get
>information on any other Ensoniq chipset.

Ensoniq published datasheets on their web/ftp site.  How do you think the
eap driver exists?

Quote:>I don't know if this policy from Ensoniq has influenced Creative Labs/EMU. If
>the EMU 10k uses Ensoniq technology?

You're obviously confusing Ensoniq and EMU.  They used to be two different
companies.  The EMU 10K has no relationship to the Ensoniq 137x chipset.

Ensoniq made information available.  Creative (and hence, Ensoniq/EMU of
today) does not.

Quote:>Really? If this is true, this is fine. But why does the OSS crew say that they
>were awaiting information for the chipset a long time and didn't get any, so
>that they're switching to "alternative" driver development, using bus
>analyzers and that sort of things? This information comes directly from the
>OSS page, why should they lie?

Perhaps Creative Labs wants to*them over.  I wouldn't be surprised.

1. Creative Labs Soundblaster Live card

I got hold of a soundblaster live card from a car boot sale, i dont know
  a great deal about sound card technology, and i would like to know:

1) Has anyone had any luck configuring it up fully and using all of its
features (i didn't know sound cards had so many features and conectors
on them ! digital sound out for example)

2) Err, this is daft but what exaclty can i do with this type of card
other than listening to wav files etc. Is the software to drive it fully
avalable for linux 7.1, with 2.4 kernel ?

Cheers

Knud

2. RH 8 TO RH9

3. SoundBlaster 16 & Creative Labs 4X IDE CD-ROM

4. parport_pc does not enable DMA by default (both 2.5.72 and 2.4.21)

5. SoundBlaster Live! & OpenBSD (Question)

6. JIT compiler could not be found with jdk1.3.1p7?

7. Creative Labs Banshee + Sound Blaster Live

8. PPP and Win 95 again: error message

9. Q: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live

10. soundcard defect? Creative Labs SB Live (emu10k1)

11. Get M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or Creative Lab's SoundBlaster Audigy2?

12. Creative Labs Soundblaster 4x CDROM

13. Installing from SoundBlaster 16 CD-ROM from Creative Labs?