hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

Post by Gerben van der Lubb » Mon, 05 May 2003 18:25:04

Ive had OpenBSD 3.2 installed on my (old) computer. Everything worked great.
Then I noticed that OpenBSD 3.3 was released. So I wanted to update. I used
a bootdisk to update, and after the upgrade, I tried to boot my computer. It
tried to boot hd0a:/bsd, but it gave the error "Inappropriate file type or
format". Ive tried reinstalling 5 times or so. I searched the internet, but
I couldn't find anything usefull (although there where a lot results).
So I asked in some IRC channel, and they said that my harddisk is probably
broken. I have 2 harddisks in my computer: One SCSI (sd0) and one normal
(wd0). OpenBSD was installed on wd0. So I removed the disk (wd0), and again,
tried to install OpenBSD 3.3 on sd0. But again: "Inappropriate file type or
format".

So: How can I fix this?

10x in advance

hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

Post by Gerben van der Lubb » Mon, 05 May 2003 19:42:16

Oh, forgot to mention:
fsck does NOT come up with any error.
When I boot using the harddisk, and it asks me what to boot, and I type "ls"
to do a directory listing of the harddrive, everything shows up fine, BUT
there is one error: "stat(hd0a:/./sys): No such file or directory".

Quote:> Ive had OpenBSD 3.2 installed on my (old) computer. Everything worked
great.
> Then I noticed that OpenBSD 3.3 was released. So I wanted to update. I
used
> a bootdisk to update, and after the upgrade, I tried to boot my computer.
It
> tried to boot hd0a:/bsd, but it gave the error "Inappropriate file type or
> format". Ive tried reinstalling 5 times or so. I searched the internet,
but
> I couldn't find anything usefull (although there where a lot results).
> So I asked in some IRC channel, and they said that my harddisk is probably
> broken. I have 2 harddisks in my computer: One SCSI (sd0) and one normal
> (wd0). OpenBSD was installed on wd0. So I removed the disk (wd0), and
again,
> tried to install OpenBSD 3.3 on sd0. But again: "Inappropriate file type
or
> format".

> So: How can I fix this?

> 10x in advance

hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

Post by mike » Mon, 05 May 2003 20:09:29

Hi Gerben,

Did you use the bootdisk from the production release of 3.3?
If you did not, try that.  I had a similar issue when I used a bootdisk from a 3.3 snapshot.  It loaded the pre-release 3.3 just fine.  However, when I tried to use the same bootdisk for the 3.3 production release, I received the same error.  I was able to boot the snapshot kernel but not the new one.
I then grabbed the the bootdisk from the prod release and everything went perfectly.

Good Luck,
Mike

hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

Post by Gerben van der Lubb » Mon, 05 May 2003 20:53:42

W00000000000000000T!

10x Mike! It works :)

Gerben

Quote:

> Hi Gerben,

> Did you use the bootdisk from the production release of 3.3?
> If you did not, try that.  I had a similar issue when I used a bootdisk

from a 3.3 snapshot.  It loaded the pre-release 3.3 just fine.  However,
when I tried to use the same bootdisk for the 3.3 production release, I
received the same error.  I was able to boot the snapshot kernel but not the
new one.
Quote:> I then grabbed the the bootdisk from the prod release and everything went
perfectly.

Post by mike » Tue, 06 May 2003 02:07:26

> [ Your lines are too long ]
> man ELF
> //Thorsten
> --

Point taken

Are
my
lines
short
enough
for
your
newsreader
now? ;)

While I feel that OpenBSD is an hands-on OS and self-directed learning is a
key component, simply pointing Gerben to the man page for the
elf file format would do little to solve his issue.

Have a nice day,
Mike

1. OpenBSD 3.0: Kernel on other partition/localtion than default hd0a:/bsd

Hi,

after searching through the man pages, the documentation on
www.openbsd.org and reading newsgroup postings, I still found no way
to simply tell my boot manager to look for the kernel in the correct
partition.

Atm, I have to manually enter "boot hd0e:/bsd" at boot time.

Isn't there a simple configuration option (like /etc/lilo.conf for
Linux) to tell OpenBSD that the kernel does not reside in hd0a, but in
hd0e? (wd0e would fit just as well)
I thought just changing the MBR (more precisely the boot manager in
it) would do the trick, but I failed.

I tried recompiling the kernel several times, but that did'nt work
too. Well, if there really is no other way to do it than creating a
new kernel, I have to go for it again and put more time into it and
figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Vil

2. Building dpkg under cygwin?

3. BSD nonblocking I/O on different file types?

4. C++ CGI programs and threads

5. install problem: inappropiate type of file format

6. Red Hat - Do I have a swapfile problem??

7. gdb: core file not in executable format: File format not recognized

8. Moving Linux from one hard disk to another

9. Convert vc file format to Lotus 1-2-3 file format?

10. could not open mime types log file /etc/httpd/etc/mime.types.

11. How to "mv" many files of same type to another type

12. What does SUID, SGID and Sticky bits do on inappropriate files?