memory + harddisk

Post by Huub » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:45:32

Hi,

I want to install OpenBSD on my old pc (hardware is all supported) but I
have no clue about the amount of required memory and harddiskspace. Can
somebody please tell me?

Thanks

Huub

memory + harddisk

Post by Alex » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:23:53

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:45:32 GMT

> Hi,

> I want to install OpenBSD on my old pc (hardware is all supported) but I
> have no clue about the amount of required memory and harddiskspace. Can
> somebody please tell me?

> Thanks

I would want 3G and 32 megs ram.  It can probably be done without too much trouble on 1G, but things would be cramped.  There are some steps you can take (http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html) to install on 16 megs ram.  The same faq gives bare minimums for drive space, but they don't include the ports and src trees.

--Alex

memory + harddisk

Post by Huub » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:31:00

Quote:> I would want 3G and 32 megs ram.  It can probably be done without too much trouble on 1G, but things would be cramped.  There are some steps you can take (http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html) to install on 16 megs ram.  The same faq gives bare minimums for drive space, but they don't include the ports and src trees.

> --Alex

Hmm..having 1.5G and max. 15MB..guess I'd be better off with something
not graphical at all..is this possible as well?
BTW, what image should I use to burn a CD from? Can't figure that out
from the i386-directory on the mirrors. I did figure out what floppy I
have to use (pc is not CD-bootable).

memory + harddisk

Post by God Rud » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:36:54

> Hi,

> I want to install OpenBSD on my old pc (hardware is all supported) but I
> have no clue about the amount of required memory and harddiskspace. Can
> somebody please tell me?

> Thanks

> Huub

Hello Huub;

I have a Pentium 60MHz with 16MB RAM and 500MB disk.
This box runs OpenBSD 3.3
I use it as router between a 56k line and the LAN
You will need more memory if you want to run something more
demanding.
I did a floppy install from the LAN, no problem and no CDROM needed.
(only possible if you have a second computer and a LAN)

You can run OpenBSD on a slower computer but not with less memory!

                Good Luck
                      Rudy

memory + harddisk

Post by Huub » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:58:45

>> Hi,

>> I want to install OpenBSD on my old pc (hardware is all supported) but
>> I have no clue about the amount of required memory and harddiskspace.
>> Can somebody please tell me?

>> Thanks

>> Huub

> Hello Huub;

> I have a Pentium 60MHz with 16MB RAM and 500MB disk.
> This box runs OpenBSD 3.3
> I use it as router between a 56k line and the LAN
> You will need more memory if you want to run something more
> demanding.
> I did a floppy install from the LAN, no problem and no CDROM needed.
> (only possible if you have a second computer and a LAN)

> You can run OpenBSD on a slower computer but not with less memory!

>                Good Luck
>                      Rudy

Thank you. Since I have 16MB RAM and 1.6GB disk, and Linux has crashed a
number of times during install (bad memory?) , I face some hard thinking
about what to do.

memory + harddisk

Post by Nathan Mat » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:45:45

>Thank you. Since I have 16MB RAM and 1.6GB disk, and Linux has crashed a
>number of times during install (bad memory?) , I face some hard thinking
>about what to do.

   Make your computer do the hard thinking: http://www.memtest86.com/
That's a free program to test your system's RAM. Let it run overnight
to 24 hours, and if it reports any errors, I'd recommend tossing out
the RAM and buying some replacements. http://www.ebay.com has decent
selections of RAM for older systems.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com/

memory + harddisk

Post by Huub » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:43:23

Quote:>    Make your computer do the hard thinking: http://www.memtest86.com/
> That's a free program to test your system's RAM. Let it run overnight
> to 24 hours, and if it reports any errors, I'd recommend tossing out
> the RAM and buying some replacements. http://www.ebay.com has decent
> selections of RAM for older systems.

> Nathan Mates

Thanks. Had been testing with Checkit 3.0 and Checkit Pro, but Memtest
seems to confirm that the memory is ok and the motherboard is failing on
the high addresslines. That would explain the install-crashes.

1. Solaris 7 Harddisk Memory requirement

Hi,

I ordered Solaris 7 from Sun because I have become disenchanted
with Linux as a standalone single user. I was a bit dismayed when
I read some documentation which recommended a 1 gig boot
partition. So is a 15 gig harddrive comfortable. I saw one on sale
at Frys's for $139, isn't that amazing(an IBM).

--
Perspicuously perspicacious,
Providential Stephen Paul

2. g++/g77 -O2 under RedHat4.2

3. How to know the sizes of memory, cache, and harddisk.

4. Shadow passwds and quota in the next major kernel release?

5. question about process memory usage and process memory limits

6. SLIP Server IOCTL Error

7. Physical memory versus detected memory 2.4.7-10

8. Iptables problem

9. New: vesafb fails to initalize 1GB system memory and 128MB video memory

10. Shared Memory,Memory mapped files and Threads

11. New USB memory-stick howto: Flash-Memory-HOWTO

12. How do I use shared memory the same was as the heap memory?

13. Memory-to-memory DMA transfers