upgrade to 2.9 and softupdates

Post by William Ahe » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:23:43

i just finished (if that's possible) remotely upgrading a 2.8 machine
to 2.9. phew....

i tested out specifying softupdates on the /tmp partition. upon reboot
/tmp wasn't even mounted. i tried mount maually and it complained
that wd0d was the wrong disk type. wd0d (/tmp) is an ffs formated fs.

do i need to use tunefs first?

tia,

Bill

Post by Jan-Uwe Finc » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:38:08

>i just finished (if that's possible) remotely upgrading a 2.8 machine
>to 2.9. phew....

>i tested out specifying softupdates on the /tmp partition. upon reboot
>/tmp wasn't even mounted. i tried mount maually and it complained
>that wd0d was the wrong disk type. wd0d (/tmp) is an ffs formated fs.

>do i need to use tunefs first?

No, tunefs is no more needed in 2.9 to use softupdates.
Modify your /etc/fstab if still necessary.

upgrade to 2.9 and softupdates

Post by William Ahe » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:57:36

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:38:08 +0200, Jan-Uwe Finck

>>i just finished (if that's possible) remotely upgrading a 2.8 machine
>>to 2.9. phew....

>>i tested out specifying softupdates on the /tmp partition. upon reboot
>>/tmp wasn't even mounted. i tried mount maually and it complained
>>that wd0d was the wrong disk type. wd0d (/tmp) is an ffs formated fs.

>>do i need to use tunefs first?

>No, tunefs is no more needed in 2.9 to use softupdates.
>Modify your /etc/fstab if still necessary.

that is how i did it originally, w/ a softdep option in fstab. /tmp
never got mounted after a reboot.

here's the fstab w/ softdep:

/dev/wd0a / ffs rw,noatime 1 1
/dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,async,noatime,nosuid,softdep 1 2
/dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,noatime,userquota=/var/quotas/var.user 1 2
/dev/wd0f /usr ffs rw,noatime 1 2
/dev/wd0g /home ffs rw,noatime,nosuid,userquota=/var/quotas/home.user
1 2

here is what gets mounted after a reboot w/ the above fstab:

/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/wd0e on /var type ffs (local, noatime, with quotas)
/dev/wd0f on /usr type ffs (local, noatime)
/dev/wd0g on /home type ffs (local, noatime, nosuid, with quotas)

and here is what happens when trying to manually use mount:

25thandClement# mount /tmp
mount_ffs: /dev/wd0d on /tmp: specified device does not match mounted
device

here's the fstab without soft updates:

/dev/wd0a / ffs rw,noatime 1 1
/dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,async,noatime,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,noatime,userquota=/var/quotas/var.user 1 2
/dev/wd0f /usr ffs rw,noatime 1 2
/dev/wd0g /home ffs rw,noatime,nosuid,userquota=/var/quotas/home.user
1 2

and here is what gets mounted after a reboot w/ the above fstab (no
softdep):

/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/wd0d on /tmp type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime, nosuid)
/dev/wd0e on /var type ffs (local, noatime, with quotas)
/dev/wd0f on /usr type ffs (local, noatime)
/dev/wd0g on /home type ffs (local, noatime, nosuid, with quotas)

i am indeed running openbsd 2.9:

OpenBSD 25thandClement.com 2.9 GENERIC#653 i386

any ideas?

tia,

Bill

Post by lin » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:33:25

> >i just finished (if that's possible) remotely upgrading a 2.8 machine
> >to 2.9. phew....

> >i tested out specifying softupdates on the /tmp partition. upon reboot
> >/tmp wasn't even mounted. i tried mount maually and it complained
> >that wd0d was the wrong disk type. wd0d (/tmp) is an ffs formated fs.

Under 2.8 I read that SoftUpdates did not work on sun4c Sparc chips (like
SparcStation2). For 2.9 I have not read anyhting like this, but perhaps it
is still true anyway?

Best Wishes,
Bengt Kleberg

1. upgrade 2.9 -> 3.0 problem

Hi,

Just did an upgrade from 2.9 to 3.0. Seems like I'm almost there
(firewall & newsserver are back up), but some irritating problems
remain.

I read the upgrade faq, and did everything mentioned there to get
sendmail working again (like creating the smmsp group). Sendmail
is running with "-L sm-mta -bd -q30m". Permissions that seem relevant :

drwxrwx---   2 smmsp  smmsp   512 Oct 18 22:24 clientmqueue
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   wheel   512 Dec 24 16:29 mqueue

But ordinary users still can't send mail :

Dec 24 16:44:54 sendmail[10512]: fBOFishW010512: SYSERR(peter): queueup:
                cannot create queue temp file ./tffBOFishW010512, uid=1000:
                Permission denied

Did I miss anything ?

The other (smaller) problems are that cron sometimes creates zombies (see
sig...) and xdm isn't accepting connections from my desktop machine anymore
(the server is headless). Pointers are appreciated.

--
CUL8R, Peter.

OpenBSD 3.0 i386 / 3 users / 51 processes: 3 running, 46 idle, 2 zombie
Memory: Real: 30M/41M act/tot Free: 17M Swap: 0K/122M used/tot

2. Tru64 4.x NIS Clients and Linux NIS Master.

3. OPEN bsd 2.9 upgrade to 3.1

4. Using 2 monitors?

5. upgrading from 2.8 to 2.9

6. ISP needs a FreeBSD guru to set up some tutorials.

7. upgrade from 2.9 - asked again!

8. Safe hdparm settings?

9. How to upgrade PROM to 2.9 or greater

10. upgrading from 2.8 -> 2.9

11. Upgrading from 2.7 to 2.9

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. two installation problems with 2.9