zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by anon » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Greets,

I'm running OBSD 2.7 on a Sparc 20, and frequently it gives the error
"zs1b: fifo overrun" as the last message to the console when booting.  I
checked the mail-list archives and found this problem was reported way
back in OBSD 2.4.  What causes this error?  Is it something I should
worry about?  Is there a fix?  Anyone?

 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by James Taylo » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00



>Greets,

>I'm running OBSD 2.7 on a Sparc 20, and frequently it gives the error
>"zs1b: fifo overrun" as the last message to the console when booting.  I
>checked the mail-list archives and found this problem was reported way
>back in OBSD 2.4.  What causes this error?  Is it something I should
>worry about?  Is there a fix?  Anyone?

I haven't seen any replies to your post.  FWIW, my Sparc 5 gives
precisely the same error message just after X loads.  No hangs in twm
or any other ill effects noted, though.

-J

 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by Richard Haakm » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00




> >Greets,

> >I'm running OBSD 2.7 on a Sparc 20, and frequently it gives the error
> >"zs1b: fifo overrun" as the last message to the console when booting.  I
> >checked the mail-list archives and found this problem was reported way
> >back in OBSD 2.4.  What causes this error?  Is it something I should
> >worry about?  Is there a fix?  Anyone?

> I haven't seen any replies to your post.  FWIW, my Sparc 5 gives
> precisely the same error message just after X loads.  No hangs in twm
> or any other ill effects noted, though.

> -J

That is the serial port your mouse is on.  I presume that the mouse
driver prints this message when initializing.  It doesn't cause
a problem so you can ignore it.

Regards,
RH.

 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by anon » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00





> > >Greets,

> > >I'm running OBSD 2.7 on a Sparc 20, and frequently it gives the error
> > >"zs1b: fifo overrun" as the last message to the console when booting.  I
> > >checked the mail-list archives and found this problem was reported way
> > >back in OBSD 2.4.  What causes this error?  Is it something I should
> > >worry about?  Is there a fix?  Anyone?

> > I haven't seen any replies to your post.  FWIW, my Sparc 5 gives
> > precisely the same error message just after X loads.  No hangs in twm
> > or any other ill effects noted, though.

> > -J
> That is the serial port your mouse is on.  I presume that the mouse
> driver prints this message when initializing.  It doesn't cause
> a problem so you can ignore it.

> Regards,
> RH.

Ah ... Hopefully this doesn't open me up to any 'denial of mouse'
attacks :)
 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by anon » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00



> Ah ... Hopefully this doesn't open me up to any 'denial of mouse'
> attacks :)

If I were a script kitty -- a mouse buffer overflow would be the first
thing go after!  Haa ... I break myself up...  sorry...
 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by James Taylo » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00


On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:06:30 +1200, Richard Haakma


>That is the serial port your mouse is on.  I presume that the mouse
>driver prints this message when initializing.  It doesn't cause
>a problem so you can ignore it.

Is zs0 the integrated serial ports (A and B) and zs1 the keyboard?

$ dmesg
OpenBSD 2.5 (GENERIC) #172: Fri Apr 16 10:18:24 MDT 1999
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-5
zs0 at obio0 addr 0x71100000 pri 12, softpri 6
zs1 at obio0 addr 0x71000000 pri 12, softpri 6
kbd: type = 4, layout = 34

(Really a Type 5C keybd.  Most of dmesg snipped for brevity.)

$ man zs
DESCRIPTION
     The zs is a Zilog 8530 serial interface chip used in Sun
     workstations.  The Zilog 8530 provides two input/output channels
     per instance.  Most Sun workstations include two of these
     interfaces.  One of the interfaces is hardwired for use by the
     keyboard and mouse attached to the workstation console.  The
     remaining additional zs interfaces provide RS-423 and RS-232
     serial ports for general purpose use.

-J

 
 
 

zs1b: fifo overrun on Sparc 20

Post by horio shoich » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00


My ss2 has the same symptom. Since ss2 has two ports dedicated to
serials, it may not be related to mouse.

OpenBSD 2.7 (GENERIC) #13: Sat May 13 17:41:03 MDT 2000

zs0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf1000000 pri 12, softpri 6
zs1 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf0000000 pri 12, softpri 6
...
zs1b: fifo overrun

horio shoichi


> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:06:30 +1200, Richard Haakma

> >That is the serial port your mouse is on.  I presume that the mouse
> >driver prints this message when initializing.  It doesn't cause
> >a problem so you can ignore it.

> Is zs0 the integrated serial ports (A and B) and zs1 the keyboard?

> $ dmesg
> OpenBSD 2.5 (GENERIC) #172: Fri Apr 16 10:18:24 MDT 1999
> mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-5
> zs0 at obio0 addr 0x71100000 pri 12, softpri 6
> zs1 at obio0 addr 0x71000000 pri 12, softpri 6
> kbd: type = 4, layout = 34

> (Really a Type 5C keybd.  Most of dmesg snipped for brevity.)

> $ man zs
> DESCRIPTION
>      The zs is a Zilog 8530 serial interface chip used in Sun
>      workstations.  The Zilog 8530 provides two input/output channels
>      per instance.  Most Sun workstations include two of these
>      interfaces.  One of the interfaces is hardwired for use by the
>      keyboard and mouse attached to the workstation console.  The
>      remaining additional zs interfaces provide RS-423 and RS-232
>      serial ports for general purpose use.

> -J

 
 
 

1. zs1b: fifo overrun?

I have a Sun 4/3xx (3/110 with the upgrade board) running NetBSD
1.2.1.  It's mostly OK, but occasionally prints to the console messages
like: "/netbsd: zs1b: fifo overrun" or the same thing but with zs1a.
I've been ignoring them, but at one point it crashed (savecore
failed because of inadequate disk space on /var) right after
producing one.  Has anyone seen these messages, or know what they
mean, or how to stop them?

By the way, the machine has 8M of RAM, and about 60M of swap space.
I'm not sure (since I almost never work in text mode) but they
seem to occur mainly when I'm running X.

                                            thanks
                                            Noam Bernstein

2. Recovering file

3. sl0 RX overrun 20 TX overrun 57

4. ~~ Funny Problems with LINUX/SAMBA ~~

5. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

6. rc5 clients

7. Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

8. (not another) sunpci question

9. Transistion from Sparc 2 to Sparc 20

10. Lilo: L 20 20 20 20

11. Swapping drives from Sparc 20 to Sparc 5 (boot drives)

12. FIFO overrun

13. Rx FIFO Overrun error found