OpenBSD 2.9: can't see network until I unplug/re-plug the network cable

OpenBSD 2.9: can't see network until I unplug/re-plug the network cable

Post by Patrick Wetmor » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:58:42

Hi all,

I just upgraded a few machines to OpenBSD 2.9 (from OpenBSD 2.7).  Now, on
my old Pentium, it can't see the network until I unplug/wait a few
seconds/re-plug the network cable.  It's a generic 10/100 card (info from
dmesg below).  It was working fine in OpenBSD 2.7... doh.

When I say "can't see the network", everything seems ok from ifconfig etc,
but I can't talk to anything on my local LAN, and nothing on the LAN can
talk to me.  When I unplug the cable, wait, and re-plug it in, everything
sees everything.  So I'm guessing that something with the media autoselect
might be funky?  I've attached my hostname.dc0, maybe it's bad?  Since this
was an upgrade, this is left over from OpenBSD 2.7, did something change
perhaps?

When I do a ping from my old Pentium before unplugging, I can see the light
on my hub blinking, so I know it's doing something... maybe it's ignoring
the incoming responses?  Got me...

From dmesg:
-------------
dc0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "Lite-On PNIC" rev 0x20: irq 10 address
00:a0:cc:5f:7b:47
bmtphy0 at dc0 phy 1: BCM5201 10/100 media interface, rev. 2

From hostname.dc0:
-------------
inet 172.16.0.3 255.255.255.0 NONE media autoselect

From ifconfig -a (same before & after unplugging & plugging it in again)
-------------
dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::2a0:ccff:fe5f:7b47%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

- pat

Post by walt » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:21:09

> Hi all,

> I just upgraded a few machines to OpenBSD 2.9 (from OpenBSD 2.7).  Now, on
> my old Pentium, it can't see the network until I unplug/wait a few
> seconds/re-plug the network cable.  It's a generic 10/100 card (info from
> dmesg below).  It was working fine in OpenBSD 2.7... doh.

I just 'upgraded' from 2.8 to 2.9 and I'm sorry enough that I'm going back
to 2.8.  I've had nothing but trouble with 2.9.  It's just not ready for
prime-time yet.

I think I'll try again in a couple of months when it settles down.

OpenBSD 2.9: can't see network until I unplug/re-plug the network cable

Post by Han » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:38:41

walt schreef de met > gemarkeerde tekst.

Quote:>> I just upgraded a few machines to OpenBSD 2.9 (from OpenBSD 2.7).
>> Now, on my old Pentium, it can't see the network until I unplug/wait
>> a few seconds/re-plug the network cable.  It's a generic 10/100 card
>> (info from dmesg below).  It was working fine in OpenBSD 2.7... doh.
> I just 'upgraded' from 2.8 to 2.9 and I'm sorry enough that I'm going
> back to 2.8.  I've had nothing but trouble with 2.9.  It's just not
> ready for prime-time yet.
> I think I'll try again in a couple of months when it settles down.

The thing is you should not upgrade but reinstall. All people who think
the are smart by upgrading you never hear anything else but troubles.

Groetjes, Han.
--
homepage : http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb
pgpkey   : http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/keys/Han_pubkey.asc   )

irc      : fontana.openprojects.net#anka                  c[ ]

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:15:48

> Hi all,

> I just upgraded a few machines to OpenBSD 2.9 (from OpenBSD 2.7).  Now, on
> my old Pentium, it can't see the network until I unplug/wait a few
> seconds/re-plug the network cable.  It's a generic 10/100 card (info from
> dmesg below).  It was working fine in OpenBSD 2.7... doh.

> When I say "can't see the network", everything seems ok from ifconfig etc,
> but I can't talk to anything on my local LAN, and nothing on the LAN can
> talk to me.  When I unplug the cable, wait, and re-plug it in, everything
> sees everything.  So I'm guessing that something with the media autoselect
> might be funky?  I've attached my hostname.dc0, maybe it's bad?  Since
> this was an upgrade, this is left over from OpenBSD 2.7, did something
> change perhaps?

> When I do a ping from my old Pentium before unplugging, I can see the
> light on my hub blinking, so I know it's doing something... maybe it's
> ignoring
> the incoming responses?  Got me...

> From dmesg:
> -------------
> dc0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "Lite-On PNIC" rev 0x20: irq 10 address
> 00:a0:cc:5f:7b:47
> bmtphy0 at dc0 phy 1: BCM5201 10/100 media interface, rev. 2

> From hostname.dc0:
> -------------
> inet 172.16.0.3 255.255.255.0 NONE media autoselect

> From ifconfig -a (same before & after unplugging & plugging it in again)
> -------------
> dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
>         status: active
>         inet 172.16.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.0.255
>         inet6 fe80::2a0:ccff:fe5f:7b47%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

> - pat

I'm surprised that you are even able to get that NIC to work at all at 100
speed.  It is a true POS.  I have one of those NICs on my network but it
connects to the cable modem at 10mb/s and will not work at all on the LAN
side.

Post by walt » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:24:50

> walt schreef de met > gemarkeerde tekst.
> >> I just upgraded a few machines to OpenBSD 2.9 (from OpenBSD 2.7).
> >> Now, on my old Pentium, it can't see the network until I unplug/wait
> >> a few seconds/re-plug the network cable.  It's a generic 10/100 card
> >> (info from dmesg below).  It was working fine in OpenBSD 2.7... doh.

> > I just 'upgraded' from 2.8 to 2.9 and I'm sorry enough that I'm going
> > back to 2.8.  I've had nothing but trouble with 2.9.  It's just not
> > ready for prime-time yet.

> > I think I'll try again in a couple of months when it settles down.

> The thing is you should not upgrade but reinstall. All people who think
> the are smart by upgrading you never hear anything else but troubles.

I tried a fresh install after several days of struggling with the
upgrade, and had troubles with coredumps there also, so back to 2.8
I go!  I'll let the younger and stronger ones do the debugging ;>)

Post by Marc Esp » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:20:41

>I just 'upgraded' from 2.8 to 2.9 and I'm sorry enough that I'm going back
>to 2.8.  I've had nothing but trouble with 2.9.  It's just not ready for
>prime-time yet.

I'm ready to flame you all the way to hell and back for that kind of
unbacked assertions.

I will start by saying you're either a Troll, an idiot, or both.

What are your problems with 2.9 ? What kind of issues do you meet ?
And more importantly, DID YOU USE SENDBUG TO REPORT THEM TO US ?

Post by walt » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 06:48:55

> >I just 'upgraded' from 2.8 to 2.9 and I'm sorry enough that I'm going back
> >to 2.8.  I've had nothing but trouble with 2.9.  It's just not ready for
> >prime-time yet.

> I'm ready to flame you all the way to hell and back for that kind of
> unbacked assertions.

> I will start by saying you're either a Troll, an idiot, or both.

> What are your problems with 2.9 ? What kind of issues do you meet ?
> And more importantly, DID YOU USE SENDBUG TO REPORT THEM TO US ?

I've posted several questions in this newsgroup in the last week or so
about problems I've had.  Problems that a few others have seen also.

Could it be that my other posts didn't make it to your server?

I've had no problems whatever with 2.8--I've recommended it to
several people I know, and that is why I'm going to the trouble of
re-installing it.  I say that just to clarify my attitude towards
OpenBSD in general, since my attitude seems to have upset you.