XF4 4.0.3 Error - no screens found

Post by danny webst » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:59:23

hi there.

I'm using 2.8-current, and after using xf86cfg, and creating
a XF86Config, i get the error 'no screens found' upon startx.

I have a Rage mobility pro in my laptop, which is supported.

I'm configuring the screen0 to be 1024x768, and it's present in
the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

can someone shade some light on this for me?

ta.

dan.

--
+--------------------------0x44 0x41 0x4E 0x4E 0x59+
| danny webster                                    |

+----------------0x57 0x45 0x42 0x53 0x54 0x45 0x52+

Post by Pixel Fai » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 07:55:03

>hi there.

>I'm using 2.8-current, and after using xf86cfg, and creating
>a XF86Config, i get the error 'no screens found' upon startx.

sometimes that happens. just hit the up arrow (or whatever for your shell
of choice) run startx again and it should work

Quote:>I have a Rage mobility pro in my laptop, which is supported.

then why are you using xfree-4? 3.3.6 as shiped with openbsd works fine.

if your using a rage mobility M3 then you need xfree 4

Quote:>I'm configuring the screen0 to be 1024x768, and it's present in

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:01:54

> hi there.

> I'm using 2.8-current, and after using xf86cfg, and creating
> a XF86Config, i get the error 'no screens found' upon startx.

> I have a Rage mobility pro in my laptop, which is supported.

> I'm configuring the screen0 to be 1024x768, and it's present in
> the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

> can someone shade some light on this for me?

> ta.

> dan.

Create your XF86Config with:

# XFree86 -configure

which will create a XF86Config file in /root.  Edit this file to get the
proper mouse protocol and device.  Then copy it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
You can fine tune the config file using xf86cfg.

1. Vaio SR11K S3 Savage MX/IX and XF4.02: "no screens found"

Hi there

Im an X newbie. Trying around for several weeks now to get X work under
my notebook, the Vaio SR11K from Sony with the S3 Savage Chip. I was
searching on the web, about this notebook I just find questions, but no
answers... The same on the Linux Notebooks Sites (the SR1K yes, but this
has a neomagic). On http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html I found some
Information, but this didnt helped, so I switched to 4.02, on the
mentioned site is also something described, but it is all included in
4.02 it seems. I tried around with some options for the screen section,
but still the same.

Can somebody tell me, what "no screens found" means exactely?

Further I wonder why I even dont get to work the VGA Resolution; the
Bootloader shows me the redhat Logo and all that in VGA Resolution... I
found that the chip is 86C270, in the Linux Choice I see just 260 or
280...  With XFree86 -configure it takes the Savage MX Generic.

It is very hard for me to get further now, I read a lot, but I still
dont see anything. I will follow these newsgroups now, but perhaps
someone can help me a bit?

Lucien Peter

2. Help using physmap in device driver

3. How to find nos. of cyl in HD ?

4. Do I really need a swap partition? -Thanks

5. Screen corruption with XF4.0 and NEWER Matrox G400 cards?

6. Whats the best shell script book around for beginners?

7. HELP! Xfree86 fatal server error (no screens found)

8. 2.1.115 modules

9. "no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

10. fatal server error: no screen found

11. fatal error: no screens found

12. 111 error: no screens found

13. Xfree86 1.3: "Fatal server error : No screens found"