help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by walt » Sun, 05 May 2002 17:20:10




> Here's the story

> I'm dual booting Win2k and OpenBSD on a laptop.  I have a separate FAT
> partition which i use to store data that can be accessed by both os's.  I
> had obsd 3.0 before and it worked fine.  i could mount my Win2k partition
> and my data partition.  I wiped the obsd paritition and installed RedHat
> 7.2 for its support of my maestro 3 sound card.  I got sick of it and was
> muddleing my way through FreeBSD when i saw that OBSD3.1 now supports my
> card.

> Everything works great but I can't mount my FAT partitiions.  I get
> "device not configured"

> normal disklabel output doesn't show those partions either.  I have to run
> "disklabel -d"

> I've appended disklabel and fdisk output.
> ----------disklabel output----------
> # /dev/rwd0c:
> type: ESDI
> disk: ad0s1

        ^^^^^

Common problem for us OS shoppers ;-)  Note the ad0s1 which is
part of the old FreeBSD disklabel.  OpenBSD accepted the old
FBSD disklabel during installation but FreeBSD does not put
DOS partitions in its disklabel--thus they got left out.

Quote:> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>   a:    64260 11679255    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16      # (Cyl.  727 - 730)
>   b:  1028160 11743515      swap                           # (Cyl.  731 - 794)
>   c:  5590620 11679255    unused        0     0            # (Cyl.  727 - 1074)
>   d:   208845 12771675    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16      # (Cyl.  795 - 807)
>   e:   208845 12980520    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16      # (Cyl.  808 - 820)
>   g:  3871665 13398210    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16      # (Cyl.  834 - 1074)
>   h:   208845 13189365    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16      # (Cyl.  821 - 833)

Now you need to use the disklabel editor to add back the DOS partitions to your
disklabel.  You just create new entries in the disklabel by hand using the letters
'i' and 'j'.  Get the 'offset' and 'size' from your fdisk info below:

Quote:> ----------fdisk output------------
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>   i: 11679192       63     MSDOS                           # (Cyl.    0*- 11586*)
>   j:  2361492 17269938     MSDOS                           # (Cyl. 17132*- 19475*)

IIRC you will need to use the option in the disklabel editor that 'expands' the scope
of the disklabel to include the entire physical disk before you can add the extra
entries for 'i' and 'j' because they (obviously) lie outside the OBSD area of the
disk.  The interactive editor has a help function that tells which command to use
to do that, or check the man page--I can't recall what it is.
 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by walt » Mon, 06 May 2002 10:47:26


.
.
.

Quote:> Where does disklabel put its information?  On the mbr or somewhere within
> the OpenBSD partition?  If it only adds entries to a table in the bsd
> partition then I might not need to backup.  But a backup is always the
> better route.

Again, I don't recall the details of the OBSD disklabel editor but IIRC
it is possible to use it to store a copy of the disklabel to disk for
backup.

I'm fairly certain that if you install OBSD in the 'dangerously dedicated'
mode it will write the disklabel right where the DOS partition table usually
goes, which can cause confusion if the disk is later used for something else.

If there is already a DOS partition table on the disk at the time of OBSD
installation then something different happens, but I've never been sure
where it goes--somewhere in the first cylinder of the disk, I think.

One big difference between OBSD/NetBSD and FreeBSD is that FreeBSD uses
one disklabel for each FBSD installation if you install more than once on
one physical disk, e.g. both -STABLE and -CURRENT on the same disk.  This
is possible because FBSD kernel uses its disklabel only for its own BSD
partitions and uses the DOS partition table for other (foreign) filesystems.

OBSD/NetBSD uses the one disklabel on each physical disk to keep track of
every partition on the disk, so multiple BSD installations on one disk can
be very tricky--they wind up fighting over the partitions.

 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by Ted » Mon, 06 May 2002 11:23:51



Quote:> I'm fairly certain that if you install OBSD in the 'dangerously dedicated'
> mode it will write the disklabel right where the DOS partition table usually
> goes, which can cause confusion if the disk is later used for something else.

I don't think so.  For one thing, dangerously dedicated is a FreeBSD
installation mode.  Maybe "Use the whole disk" is equivalent, but from
what I've heard about DD, OpenBSD is slightly different.  It still has a
DOS partition table, and still stores the disklabel at the beginning of
the DOS partition used for OpenBSD (typically entry 3).  IIRC, DD
eliminates the partition table entirely.

Quote:> OBSD/NetBSD uses the one disklabel on each physical disk to keep track of
> every partition on the disk, so multiple BSD installations on one disk can
> be very tricky--they wind up fighting over the partitions.

There can be multiple disklabels on the disk, one per partition.  The
problem is that there is no way to specify which partition you want to
read to get the disklabel.  This makes sense, considering that i386 is the
only aberrant arch that has multiple partitions per disk.  Other systems
only need one disklabel per disk.

You can manipulate whichever disklabel you read from the disk to include
the other partitions if you've got mad skillz.  :)

That's my understanding, anyway, but not gospel truth.

--
If you ever would give them a helping hand,
You can be sure they'll chop off the arm.
Never, ever, never trust a Klingon; you will always regret it.

 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by wa1.. » Mon, 06 May 2002 05:33:56




> > I'm fairly certain that if you install OBSD in the 'dangerously dedicated'
> > mode it will write the disklabel right where the DOS partition table usually
> > goes, which can cause confusion if the disk is later used for something else.

> I don't think so.  For one thing, dangerously dedicated is a FreeBSD
> installation mode.  Maybe "Use the whole disk" is equivalent, but from
> what I've heard about DD, OpenBSD is slightly different.  It still has a
> DOS partition table, and still stores the disklabel at the beginning of
> the DOS partition used for OpenBSD (typically entry 3).  IIRC, DD
> eliminates the partition table entirely.

Yes, that sounds right--you can tell it's been a good while since I
actually did a fresh install for either system.

Quote:> > OBSD/NetBSD uses the one disklabel on each physical disk to keep track of
> > every partition on the disk, so multiple BSD installations on one disk can
> > be very tricky--they wind up fighting over the partitions.

> There can be multiple disklabels on the disk, one per partition.  The
> problem is that there is no way to specify which partition you want to
> read to get the disklabel.  This makes sense, considering that i386 is the
> only aberrant arch that has multiple partitions per disk.  Other systems
> only need one disklabel per disk.

I always wondered about that--i386 is the only arch I've installed an OS on.
'Been waiting for my nephew to install the new BSD-flavored OS on his Mac,
but he's, um, resisting.  Kid's got no guts...

Quote:> You can manipulate whichever disklabel you read from the disk to include
> the other partitions if you've got mad skillz.  :)

In FBSD you just specify the partition on the command line--I once had a
machine with both OBSD and FBSD on the same disk and found it very, um,
confusing at first.  I even tried cross-editing disklabels until I found
out the formats are different.  That was a close call!

Note: always write down your partition table/disklabel on a piece of paper
before and after changing anything--then put the paper in the refrigerator
so you'll see it every time you get a beer and you'll know what to do when
the inevitable happens.  This is very valuable free advice.

 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by Thomas Muelle » Wed, 08 May 2002 20:54:37



Quote:> There can be multiple disklabels on the disk, one per partition.  The
> problem is that there is no way to specify which partition you want to
> read to get the disklabel.  This makes sense, considering that i386 is the
> only aberrant arch that has multiple partitions per disk.  Other systems
> only need one disklabel per disk.


Quote:> I always wondered about that--i386 is the only arch I've installed an OS on.
> 'Been waiting for my nephew to install the new BSD-flavored OS on his Mac,
> but he's, um, resisting.  Kid's got no guts...

Is "the new BSD-flavored OS" Mac OS X?

Is it possible on non-i386 to run multiple OSes, such as Linux and
(Free, Net or Open)BSD, on the same hard disk, or would that be done with a
second hard disk?  Or, in the case of Alpha, OpenVMS and Linux or
(Free, Net or Open)BSD?  I think all three of these BSDs have been ported to
Alpha.

 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by wa1.. » Wed, 08 May 2002 14:33:49




> > 'Been waiting for my nephew to install the new BSD-flavored OS on his Mac,
> > but he's, um, resisting.  Kid's got no guts...

> Is "the new BSD-flavored OS" Mac OS X?

Yes, I couldn't think of the name, but he's not about to change, so I'm
not going to get to use it anytime soon :-(
 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by Ted » Thu, 09 May 2002 00:47:04



Quote:> Is it possible on non-i386 to run multiple OSes, such as Linux and
> (Free, Net or Open)BSD, on the same hard disk, or would that be done with a
> second hard disk?  Or, in the case of Alpha, OpenVMS and Linux or
> (Free, Net or Open)BSD?  I think all three of these BSDs have been ported to
> Alpha.

I think you can, though it might be more complicated than on 86.  Like
sparc, you can have different OSs in the same disklabel, though personally
I wouldn't feel comfortable with two OSs interleaved on disk like that.
DOS partitions might be unwieldy, but they do a good job of separating
OSs.

--
If you ever would give them a helping hand,
You can be sure they'll chop off the arm.
Never, ever, never trust a Klingon; you will always regret it.

 
 
 

help mounting FAT32 partitions - Device not configured

Post by Thomas Muelle » Sun, 12 May 2002 15:47:21



Quote:> Is it possible on non-i386 to run multiple OSes, such as Linux and
> (Free, Net or Open)BSD, on the same hard disk, or would that be done with a
> second hard disk?  Or, in the case of Alpha, OpenVMS and Linux or
> (Free, Net or Open)BSD?  I think all three of these BSDs have been ported to
> Alpha.

Ted U responded (Tue, 7 May 2002 08:47:04 -0700):

Quote:> I think you can, though it might be more complicated than on 86.  Like
> sparc, you can have different OSs in the same disklabel, though personally
> I wouldn't feel comfortable with two OSs interleaved on disk like that.
> DOS partitions might be unwieldy, but they do a good job of separating OSs.

I think on non-i386 there is no OS that would run in FAT16 or FAT32, though the
OS might read and write to such a partition, and such a partition could serve
as a lingua franca file system for data that would be accesible to both or all
OSes running on that computer.

I think DOS is for i386 only, though there is or was a VirtualPC DOS emulator
for Mac where it was also possible to install and run MS-Windows.  I don't know
the current status of VirtualPC or RealPC with Mac OS X.

 
 
 

1. device not configured when mount Linux partition

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.6. and I have a second hard disk with a linux
partition with some software on it.

I recompiled the kernel to include EXT2FS among other things. I still
can not mount the second hard disk.

I have Two IDE hard drives. The first one on the first channel and the
second on the second channel (if it is relevant).

I do mount_ext2fs /dev/wd1 /mnt

The message I get - DEVICE NOT CONFIGURED.

Any idea.

2. dvilj problem

3. FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

4. Linksys/tulip: "Device or resource busy"

5. can not mount FAT32 partition

6. AIX and pthreads with C

7. pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

8. G3 Speed

9. Cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Help !!

10. Help mounting FAT32 partition required

11. HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

12. Console hangs when trying to mount FAT32 partition... help!

13. Mounting a Fat32 partition from linux HELP