X on G4 Cube

Post by i.. » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 05:36:42

I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 on my G4 Cube.  So far, everything
is working appropriately.  However, I'm a little stuck on
configuring X.  I can't find the usual tools (e.g., XF86Config,
etc).  I did install all the base sets.  I can't even find
an xinitrc file.

Any pointers to documentation or sample files?  I have an
Apple 17" Display (the new one that goes with G4's).

Thanks in advance.

--

X on G4 Cube

Post by Matthieu Herr » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:57:57

> I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 on my G4 Cube.  So far, everything
> is working appropriately.  However, I'm a little stuck on
> configuring X.  I can't find the usual tools (e.g., XF86Config,
> etc).  I did install all the base sets.  I can't even find
> an xinitrc file.

> Any pointers to documentation or sample files?  I have an
> Apple 17" Display (the new one that goes with G4's).

The Xmacppc server doesn't need any configuration. It uses the current
video mode as set in the nvram by MacOS or OpenFirmware. BTW, it only
supports 8 bit modes without acceleration for now.

Just use the 'startx' command or enable xdm in /etc/rc.conf.

The default xinitc file is installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
--
Matthieu Herrb

War, what is it good for ? Absolutely nothing !

X on G4 Cube

Post by i.. » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:20:08

>> I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 on my G4 Cube.  So far, everything
>> is working appropriately.  However, I'm a little stuck on
>> configuring X.  I can't find the usual tools (e.g., XF86Config,
>> etc).  I did install all the base sets.  I can't even find
>> an xinitrc file.

>> Any pointers to documentation or sample files?  I have an
>> Apple 17" Display (the new one that goes with G4's).
> The Xmacppc server doesn't need any configuration. It uses the current
> video mode as set in the nvram by MacOS or OpenFirmware. BTW, it only
> supports 8 bit modes without acceleration for now.
> Just use the 'startx' command or enable xdm in /etc/rc.conf.
> The default xinitc file is installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

Thanks for the info.  xdm did the trick:  Mouse works, great screen
resolution! (I'd left it at 1024x768 when last used MacOS.)

--

1. Q: How-To get USB sound on G4 cube?

Hello,

I am trying to make my USB-speakers work on my macintosh G4 cube
using Mandrake 8.0.
the sound and audio modules are loaded but usb and usbd do not seem to
recognize the speakers.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

muzorewi

2. Partitions on >1024 Drive

3. Quiet Computer, G4 Cube

4. Ping

5. Linux on Power Mac G4 Cube??

6. Memory not reclaiming on Red Hat 7.2

7. MAJOR PROBLEM: G4 Cube & SuSE 7.0 PPC

8. How to use shared library?

9. G4 cube full-duplex on eth0: 100?

10. Apple dumps the G4 CUBE.

11. playing audio CDs in Linux on the G4 Cube?

12. What Distro for the G4 Cube?

13. YDL 1.2.1 on G4 Cube: nagging sound and OF issues