color in xterm?

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>how can you get color in terminals like you can on the console?
>ive noticed that even in eterms with color support(linux),
>the color goes away when you telnet or ssh into an openbsd box.

Set your TERM environment variable in your profile on the remote machine.

I use ansi on NetBSD and it works like charm.

--
Donovan

color in xterm?

Post by T.E.Dicke » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>how can you get color in terminals like you can on the console?
>>ive noticed that even in eterms with color support(linux),
>>the color goes away when you telnet or ssh into an openbsd box.
> Set your TERM environment variable in your profile on the remote machine.
> I use ansi on NetBSD and it works like charm.

'ansi' is probably not close enough to use the terminal emulator effectively.

(if you're using ncursesterminfo, try 'infocmp ansi xterm-color', for instance)

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

color in xterm?

Post by pixel fair » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >>how can you get color in terminals like you can on the console?
> >>ive noticed that even in eterms with color support(linux),
> >>the color goes away when you telnet or ssh into an openbsd box.

> > Set your TERM environment variable in your profile on the remote machine.

> > I use ansi on NetBSD and it works like charm.

> 'ansi' is probably not close enough to use the terminal emulator effectively.

> (if you're using ncursesterminfo, try 'infocmp ansi xterm-color', for instance)

that didnt work, xterm-color does, but lynx behaves funny. it insists on
a white background,
in linux, it can keep the background "clear"

--
                                                        decayed kisses,
                                                            Pixel Fairy

color in xterm?

Post by T.E.Dicke » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> that didnt work, xterm-color does, but lynx behaves funny.  it insists on
> a white background, in linux, it can keep the background "clear"

"xterm-color" is usually a variant that doesn't have bce (it was a lowest
common denominator that "works" for color_xterm and rxvt).  You need bce
support in the terminal emulator to implement default colors.

The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://www.veryComputer.com/
        ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. are SLS 1.01 xterms color xterms?

I am asking because I've been trying all day to get Seyon to take
advantage of my color X windows both locally (the little Seyon button
gizmo) and on my dialup links (say to an IBM color ANSI BBS).

Here's a little list of my problems:

for dialup:

1) I can't change the default terminal colors to black background, white text
   or green background, pink text or anything -- I'm stuck with the default
   white background, black text. Furthermore, even when connected to
   a BBS which under DOS spews gobs of lovely ANSI color, I'm still still
   getting plain old black and white.  Is this becasue I need color xterms
   (or is the standards SLS 1.01 distrib xterm color?) or because
   somewhere my configuration is set up incorrectly?

Locally:

2) Seyon seems to not be able to take advantage of the
   /usr/X386/lib/app-defaults/Seyon-color file even though I,
   per the instructions, added to /usr/openwin/Xdefualts
        #ifdef COLOR
        *custimization: -color
        #endif
   which I believed would cause seyon to take notice of the
   Seyon-color file.  No luck.

Any help would be appreciated,
Ezra
--

2. Trying to run a hellow world app?

3. xterm instead of xterm-color in RH4.0 / MetroX

4. Syslog puzzle

5. xterm or color-xterm?

6. Linux-to-win95 connectivity

7. Color xterm has no color

8. finding a compatible ex. modem for 6.0

9. color ls in xterm colors

10. Change cr, bg, and fg colors in a color xterm?

11. My Color xterm just won't display color, help.

12. Dir colors in Color Xterm

13. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!