what happened to my ethernet card? (newbie question)

what happened to my ethernet card? (newbie question)

Post by r.. » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have installed OpenBSD for the first time. The install floppy clearly and
correctly identifies my Ethernet card and is able to get me the kernel
(bsd), base and etc packages through ftp. But when I reboot after having
received congratulations upon a succesfull installation the card is no
longer "seen" during start up nor is it working or show up in the list
produced by ifconfig -a ... There is nothing about this in the man
afterboot, as far as I can see.
The /etc/hostname.we1 (why not 0?) looks like this:

inet 10.0.0.3    255.255.255.0    NONE media 10base2

None of the FLAGS mentioned in man afterboot, but where do I find what to
put into there?

I did consider the possibility that the card died (it is old, I know), but
using the install floppy I verified it's condition.

Any help appreciated!

what happened to my ethernet card? (newbie question)

Post by r.. » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Additional remark: I just tried another install from floppy and after the
install i tried ifconfig -a and then there is a proper entry for the
ethernet card (we1)... but after reboot: nothing again. I am beginning to
think there are two different kernels floppy and bsd ??

1. newbie question -- adding 2nd (identical) ethernet card

I have 2 identical ethernet cards...and have had one of them installed in my
linux pc for awhile and it works fine connecting to my cable ISP.

When i add the 2nd ethernet card and configure it with a static IP address
it activates ok (using neat).  But the original card (eth0) becomes
unavailable.

I have PnP turned off in the bios..
Both cards are referencing the same "module"...
Both PCI slots work..
I"m using the "neat" GUI interface to configure both cards..
Using version 8.0 of RedHat Linux..

what am i missing here?

any help much appreciated.

2. ELF segmentation fault (1.3.20)

3. Problems with SMC Elite16 Ethernet Card (not a newbie question)

4. LSM changes for 2.5.59

5. newbie fast ethernet card question

6. Ping failure through Baystack Model 51

7. Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

8. Anyone using RedHat 4 -- please read!!

9. Newbie question: Psion PCMCIA ethernet V34 card

10. Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards

11. Newbie question: Ethernet card problem

12. what happened to my ethernet card

13. Newbie Ethernet-card /ISDN-Card