Old OpenBSD version update (2.8 to 3.1 stable)

Old OpenBSD version update (2.8 to 3.1 stable)

Post by Switch Blad » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:35:27

Hi,

We have an old box with OpenBSD 2.8 installed and I was wondering after
reading the ports manual and the FAQ ports section, what exactly the ports
can and can't do for a system update from an old version to an up-to-date
version. Is the *whole* system can be updated, cleanly and painlessly ?

Thanks,

Any answers would help.

Frdrick

Old OpenBSD version update (2.8 to 3.1 stable)

Post by zbyszek » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:41:05

Better consider fresh install on the spare disk and then move your toys.

--
my 2c

Quote:> Hi,

> We have an old box with OpenBSD 2.8 installed and I was wondering after
> reading the ports manual and the FAQ ports section, what exactly the ports
> can and can't do for a system update from an old version to an up-to-date
> version. Is the *whole* system can be updated, cleanly and painlessly ?

> Thanks,

> Any answers would help.

> Frdrick

Old OpenBSD version update (2.8 to 3.1 stable)

Post by Hannu Liljema » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:03:13

Quote:> We have an old box with OpenBSD 2.8 installed and I was wondering after
> reading the ports manual and the FAQ ports section, what exactly the ports
> can and can't do for a system update from an old version to an up-to-date
> version. Is the *whole* system can be updated, cleanly and painlessly ?

do all the steps the FAQ says should be done when upgrading from 2.8
to 2.9, 2.9 to 3.0 and 3.0 to 3.1. that should take care of the base
system (i took a 2.9 to 3.1), as you've probably figured out already.
more fun and educating that updating with using snapshots or releases
;)

old ports should still run fine since you have old libs... or they
might break. i don't think there's an easy way of updating the ports
yet. check earlier posts to this group and to the openbsd mailing
lists, there has been some discussion about this.

don't forget to patch the holes in 3.1.

Old OpenBSD version update (2.8 to 3.1 stable)

Post by u n d e r a c h i e v e » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:25:02

Quote:> do all the steps the FAQ says should be done when upgrading from 2.8
> to 2.9, 2.9 to 3.0 and 3.0 to 3.1. that should take care of the base
> system (i took a 2.9 to 3.1), as you've probably figured out already.
> more fun and educating that updating with using snapshots or releases
> ;)

i can confirm this works

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

1. Cant find errno.h while upgrading 3.1-stable (to 3.1-stable)

I cvs'ed a new stable source tree. I made a new kernel.

While making the new binutils I get an error. The upgrade minifaq
says:
-----------------
 # cd /usr/src/gnu/egcs/libiberty
  # make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper cleandir
  # make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper obj
  # make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper depend
  # make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper
  # make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper install
-----------------

But it quits during "make -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper depend"
It quits with this error:
/usr/src/gnu/egcs/libiberty/rename.c:6: errno.h: No such file or
directory
*** Error code 1

I checked for this file:
myhostname# ls -l /usr/include/errno.h
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin  11 Jun 28 09:27 /usr/include/errno.h -> sys/errno.h
myhostname# ls -l /usr/include/sys
myhostname#

The /usr/include/sys directory is empty.

What should be in this directory, and how do I get it there? Or
am I doing something else wrong?

Bert

2. LIRC & Mandrake 9.0

3. updating ip-filter to 3.4.14 on OpenBSD 2.8

4. SBPro-Filter / Sounddriver Programmer′s Guide??

5. migrating to OpenBSD 3.1-STABLE

6. Can't get mail from mail server

7. Downloading updated versions of ppp and pppoe (2.8)?

8. sendmail ??s

9. ex0 hangs OpenBSD 2.8 as well as OpenBSD 2.7 (pretty long)

10. Pb with 3.1-RELEASE -> STABLE update

11. CVSup Update from 3.1-RELEASE to 3.2-STABLE

12. FreeBSD 3.1 RELEASE to snapshot 3.1 STABLE question

13. 3.1 stable / 3.1 release