Can't understand syntax.

Post by Louis Hopcraf » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello all.

I'm trying to "understand and use" scp.   I've read the man page but......
My mind doesn't seem to want to function (lack of sleep I guess (Hope)).
Anyway,  I've been trying to scp from host1 to host2  and the file is called
test.pdf.    I've tried a number of variations but I couldn't get them to
work.   Does someone know the exact type of syntax I should use?  Here's an
example of how I'm trying to do it.  BTW  I'm using OBSD 2.6=192.168.5.254
to  RH 7.0.=192.168.5.123.

Error message

"Aborted by user!

lost connection"

This one above is from 192.168.5.123,     I tried to reverse it as well to
see if the would work but it didn't.

The one below is also from 192.168.5.123

Error message
You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.

I was watching the console everytime I tried to log in and it does say ...
Oct 17 09:13:30 foo sshd[16380]: log: Password authentication for root
accepted.

Does anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks
Louis

Can't understand syntax.

Post by Pixel Fai » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:00:42

>Hello all.

>I'm trying to "understand and use" scp.   I've read the man page but......
>My mind doesn't seem to want to function (lack of sleep I guess (Hope)).
>Anyway,  I've been trying to scp from host1 to host2  and the file is called
>test.pdf.    I've tried a number of variations but I couldn't get them to
>work.   Does someone know the exact type of syntax I should use?  Here's an
>example of how I'm trying to do it.  BTW  I'm using OBSD 2.6=192.168.5.254
>to  RH 7.0.=192.168.5.123.

(say you want to get file foo from /usr/shared/project1/ onremote host bar)

(say you want to put it back)

(say you just want it in your home directory)

(now you want to transfer a file from remote host-a to remote host-b)

Can't understand syntax.

Post by Louis Hopcraf » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks. It always helps to see things in action. This has cleared up alot
for me.
>> (say you want to get file foo from /usr/shared/project1/ onremote host
bar)

I tried this one and it worked, I guess I could use this one most of the
time.
>> (say you want to put it back)

This one worked fine. I could move files over. The first time I tried it, I
move a text file from a RH7.0 box to OBSD 2.6 box. And it moved it as a
binary file? I couldn't read it. The second time I tried it I moved a text
file from a OBSD 2.7 box to a OBSD 2.6 box and it work fine. Everything was
readable.
> (now you want to transfer a file from remote host-a to remote host-b)

In this last example, It would ask me for the passwd of host-a, and once
entered gave me the following message. On's host-a's console I saw that the
root password was accepted. Is there something else that I'm missing? I can
ssh from any of the box's here, but with the examples above one worked and
the others didn't. Interesting.

Aborted by user!
lost connection
or this
You have no controlling tty. Cannot read passphrase.
lost connection
Thanks
Louis

> >Hello all.

> >I'm trying to "understand and use" scp. I've read the man page but......
> >My mind doesn't seem to want to function (lack of sleep I guess (Hope)).
> >Anyway, I've been trying to scp from host1 to host2 and the file is
called
> >test.pdf. I've tried a number of variations but I couldn't get them to
> >work. Does someone know the exact type of syntax I should use? Here's an
> >example of how I'm trying to do it. BTW I'm using OBSD 2.6=192.168.5.254
> >to RH 7.0.=192.168.5.123.

> >Hello all.

> >I'm trying to "understand and use" scp.   I've read the man page
but......
> >My mind doesn't seem to want to function (lack of sleep I guess (Hope)).
> >Anyway,  I've been trying to scp from host1 to host2  and the file is
called
> >test.pdf.    I've tried a number of variations but I couldn't get them to
> >work.   Does someone know the exact type of syntax I should use?  Here's
an
> >example of how I'm trying to do it.  BTW  I'm using OBSD
2.6=192.168.5.254
> >to  RH 7.0.=192.168.5.123.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Printing from Linux on a Win98 Comp by using Samba ?!?!?

3. can I get the ip address of a server from a mac or some other way?

4. Understanding the syntax for invoking tar

5. Oversized Ethernet frame

6. 'make' fails, and I don't understand the error msg

7. Arrrgghhh! cron runs only one job. Help!

8. doesn't sendmail understand 'm' flag ?

9. expect script doesn't understand '$1' from command line?

10. I don't understand the '\'

11. I don't understand why this code isn't working

12. 'make' error - I must not understand make correctly