Monitoring Tool for Server/Network

Post by Wolfgang Kantne » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:21:47

Hello!

Which monitoring tool are there (if possible for free ;-)
for monitoring a network. There was big brother, but
whats an recent good tool. At the moment we use WhatsUp,
but this runs on Windows only.

greetings

Wolfgang

Post by trilli » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:04:44

> Hello!

> Which monitoring tool are there (if possible for free ;-)
> for monitoring a network. There was big brother, but
> whats an recent good tool. At the moment we use WhatsUp,
> but this runs on Windows only.

> greetings

> Wolfgang

See http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/rrdworld/ for a
list of data-gathering tools that work with rrdtool, the pre-eminent
data-storing/visualization opensource software.

Tril

Post by Wolfgang Kantne » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:14:42

> See http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/rrdworld/ for a
> list of data-gathering tools that work with rrdtool, the pre-eminent
> data-storing/visualization opensource software.

Thanks a lot. Looks very good!

Hope to get rid of WhatsUp.

Greetings

Wolfgang

Post by bertj » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:22:54

> Which monitoring tool are there (if possible for free ;-)
> for monitoring a network. There was big brother, but
> whats an recent good tool. At the moment we use WhatsUp,
> but this runs on Windows only.

We use nocol which is outdated, but does its job pretty well.
Nocol has a follow up (am not sure this is the correct english
word) which you probably can find with google.

Bert

1. tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

I've played with Cricket, Cacti, MRTG etc. before to monitor network
traffic but I've always done this by querying the switches concerned. Is
there a way to do something similar on the server side?

The reason for this is that this time around I don't have "root" access
over the switches. So rather than go through all the political channels to
get the SNMP access to the switches it'd be quicker to monitor from the
servers themselves where I do have complete control.

Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
recieced, right?

--
Rahul

2. GDK & pixels

3. UNIX Network Monitoring Tool for A Big Network

4. ctrlaltdel & shutdown ques.

5. Visual Network Monitoring Tools??

6. Red Hat 8: After update glibc to 2.3.1 (Rawhide), then OpenOffice can't start...

7. tools for monitoring network activities & traffics

8. PROXY SERVER & ISDN

9. Network monitoring tool

10. Visual Network Monitoring Tools??

11. looking for ip network monitoring tools?

12. network traffic monitoring tool

13. network monitoring tools wanted