Proper Networking

Post by ironcycl » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi, Ladies and Gents.
    It would seem my streem of questioning is not original so would
someone bee so kind as to breifly fill in the steps I dont have in this
list? TKX

Purpose: Setup a Win9X machine to HTTP thruogh a OpenBSD machine

Basic Install
FTP install 2.6
FTP packages.tar.gz
FTP ports.tar.gz
Pkg_add <what--ever>
SuperProbe
XF86Setup

Now My problem area
Turn on Kernal switches
edit hosts file
edit localhost.rev file
edit ipf.rules file
edit ipnat.rules file
rebooot

results:   Can get Win9x to ping OpenBSD  (by name or address)
                Can get OBSD to ping Win9x (by name or address)
                Can FTP HTTP and Ping outside world from OBSD (by name
or address)
                Cannot FTP, PING or HTTP outside world from Win9x

Proper Networking

Post by erik » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

you edited something wrong.
since networking is borked
did you config your ethernet adaptors right (since networking is borked id
say no)
start there then fix being able to access outside.
start with the LAN then move to the internet.

Quote:> Hi, Ladies and Gents.
>     It would seem my streem of questioning is not original so would
> someone bee so kind as to breifly fill in the steps I dont have in this
> list? TKX

> Purpose: Setup a Win9X machine to HTTP thruogh a OpenBSD machine

> Basic Install
> FTP install 2.6
> FTP packages.tar.gz
> FTP ports.tar.gz
> Pkg_add <what--ever>
> SuperProbe
> XF86Setup

> Now My problem area
> Turn on Kernal switches
> edit hosts file
> edit localhost.rev file
> edit ipf.rules file
> edit ipnat.rules file
> rebooot

> results:   Can get Win9x to ping OpenBSD  (by name or address)
>                 Can get OBSD to ping Win9x (by name or address)
>                 Can FTP HTTP and Ping outside world from OBSD (by name
> or address)
>                 Cannot FTP, PING or HTTP outside world from Win9x

1. Proper network settings for dialup IP connection?

I've managed to get user ppp to work when run as root, but not kppp or kernel ppp. I imagine I might have an improperly configured machine, and wonder what the correct settings should be for hostname and domainname. Should they not be set, or should I set them to something ficitive (since I don't have a domain name, only a IP adress when connected, and my ISP doesn't recognize or publish my machine name).

Anyone?

Regards,
Thor

2. EGCS problems

3. Proper network address configuration

4. (Late) BETA: tkgoodstuff 4.1

5. Proper routes for linux machine with two network ports to same network

6. dhcp setup

7. Proper securing of linux server and local network from hackers, etc.

8. ascii -> postscript

9. Problem w/ NE2000, 1.1.59, *proper setup*, no network action...

10. What is the proper newsgroup for Linux networking questions?

11. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

12. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)